National Currency (What's your city?)

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by camlov2, Jul 10, 2012.

1. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Westminster California, not sure if the city is old enough to qualify but it is where
    I grew up in the early 60,s

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. camlov2

camlov2 Member

No Westminster but there are bills for Long Beach, Santa Ana, Anaheim, and Orange if any of those interest you.

4. camlov2

camlov2 Member

Donckelly.com has notes for sale for both of the ohio cities. I will send pm's.

5. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

I guess Santa Ana would be the nearest

6. camlov2

camlov2 Member

do you want us to keep an eye open for a bill for you?

7. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

That wouldn't surprise me. In 25 years of collecting I've yet to see or hear of one come up for sale anywhere. The Emporium note, however, is according to Heritage, one of only 12 known pieces left, so I guess there is a shred of hope.
    Guy

8. camlov2

camlov2 Member

9. reiljj00

reiljj00 Junior Member

Chester NY

MEC2
    I have 8 on Chster NY, it is my hometown. I believe we have interacted on ebay before, I don't remember if you bought something from me, or just emailed, when I have a minute, I will post pics of them.
    John

10. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

I actually bought a couple 1934ish star notes from you in May, on the 27th... I've probably bid on far more, but I specialize in underbidding... ugh.

8 of them? That's hoarding. You should break this addiction by relocating a handful of those. Help me help you...

Definitely post pics!!!

11. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

There are National collectors like me that own stuff we just don't talk about for a good reason.

12. camlov2

camlov2 Member

Updated list, hopefully we can add a few more and help each other out.

Alabama, Enterprise (jhinton)
    California, Chico (camlov2)
    California, Needles (coleguy)
    California, Oakdale (scottishmoney)
    California, Oroville (camlov2)
    California, Sacramento (fretboard)
    California, San Mateo (bonniview)
    California, Stockton (scottishmoney)
    California, Redding (camlov2)
    California, Visalia (scottishmoney)
    California, Woodlake (scottishmoney)
    Florida, Tampa (steveintampa)
    Illinois, Batavia (saltysam-1)
    Illinois, Paris (grimreaper)
    Massachusetts, Boston (jlg1130)
    Massachusetts, Melrose (jlg1130)
    Massachusetts, Stoneham (jlg1130)
    New Jersey, Glen Rock (vdbpenny1995)
    New York, Chester (mec2)
    Ohio, Massillon (ryannof)
    Ohio, Toledo (seperfisiver)
    Pennslyvania, Chester (mec2)
    Pennslyvania, Emporium (coleguy)
    Pennslyvania, Harrisburg (dr kegg)
    Pennslyvania, Johnstown (dr kegg)
    Pennslyvania, Lewiston (dr kegg)
    Pennslyvania, Newport (dr kegg)
    Puerto Rico :D (duke kavanaugh)
    South Carolina, (mec2)
    Tennessee, Columbia (tyler g.)
    Texas, Dallas (mec2)
    Vermont, Chester (mec2)
    Washington, Bellingham (tbudwiser)
    West Virginia, Chester (mec2)
    West Virginia, Hinton (jhinton)
    Wisconsin, Green Bay (lettow)

13. swish513

swish513 Penny & Cent Collector

i want to collect cleveland, ohio, and new mexico. lack of knowledge prevents this. can anyone recommend a book??

14. camlov2

camlov2 Member

The main book up to this point is National Bank Notes by Don C Kelly. However, (I believe) the current 6th version will be his last. The national bank note census http://www.nbncensus.com/ is going to be the place to get information going forward but at $100 a year doesn't seem cost effective for someone only interested in one or two banks.

Anyway...

Clevland has over 25 different banks that produced bills. Cleveland should be easy to find, Kelly estimates prices ranging from as little as $50 up to the thousands.

New Mexico had 63 different banks that produced bills. Due to the fact that it was a Territory for part of the time bills will cost more, cheapest I saw in the Kelly book was around $300. Any particular town?

15. swish513

hobbs, in particular, followed by lovington, eunice, jal, and tatum. however, any town in new mexico interests me. thanks for the info!!

side note, when did national notes start? new mexico became a state in 1912 and you said it was a territory for part of it.

16. YoYoSpin

YoYoSpin Active Member

Home of the ANA - Colorado Springs, CO...if anyone has a COS note they would like to sell, please drop me a line.

1929COSa_s.jpg 1929COSb_s.jpg

17. camlov2

camlov2 Member

Info from the Kelly book-
    The original desings were used for three series of notes: Original Series Notes (1863-1875), Series 1875 notes and National Gold bank notes. The main two notes that you will see for sale are the 1902 and 1929 series notes (you can see one of each in post number 2 of this thread). 1902 notes were produced before and after New Mexico became a state so you can find 1902 notes both as territorial issue and state issue. (it also says there were state issued 1882 notes but I am not sure how that is possible)
    I didn't see any of the towns that you listed, the following link lists the bank numbers for New Mexico-
    http://www.papermoneyfacts.com/national_currency/New Mexico/new_mexico_by_charter.htm
    New Hobbs is listed but no notes are mentioned in the Kelly book.\

edit-
    Just re-read the Kelly book and found out that the 1882 bills were produced until 1922 (obviously the dates on the bill don't mean the date they were released).

1929 notes were produced from 1929-1935.

18. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

Alright, if i can't have Rico then this would be nice.

19. camlov2

camlov2 Member

What is your interested in that note? Are you interested in SLC in general or just that particular note?

20. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

Lovington is listed as well as New Hobbs in the above link. Neither is shown in the National Currency Analysis by Liddell and Litt either.

21. swish513

awesome! i didn't realize they went back that far. thanks for the info.

hmmm... i'm going to have to keep my eyes open for a new hobbs note. new hobbs and old hobbs joined together in the early 1930s to form hobbs.

Draft saved Draft deleted