National Currency (What's your city?)

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by camlov2, Jul 10, 2012.

1. crowbaby

crowbaby Member

thanks camlov2 Brown seal i will remember that. I do sometimes see old us dollars for sale here in the uk. I have always liked the design of them.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dr Kegg

Dr Kegg Star Note Fanatic

Scottishmoney, I have been having a hard time trying to find notes from towns I lived in or have family in PA. Newport, PA by far is one I have never seen, although even though Lewistown, Harrisburg, and Johnstown have been seen, I haven't been able to pick any up!

4. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Indeed, but Pennsylvania has the most Nationals known - for a good reason too, it was one of the most populated states up into the mid 20th century. But you can search for years and have nothing show up, and then they start dropping out of the skies like manna from Heaven - I had that happen a couple of years ago with another place that I collect from, but keep under wraps. I own most of the reported, and several unreported notes from that little burg now. They started popping up on Heritage, Stacks, Lyn Knight and from dealers that have my wants in their files. Just have to be persistent.

5. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

Thanks. I'm going to look for some to add to my collection.

6. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

New York is cool for that 1st charter stuff, I have an ace from 1865 from some small upstate town that I would not be able to get otherwise.

7. Dr Kegg

Dr Kegg Star Note Fanatic

I guess I will just have to keep my eyes open for them. I have want lists on Heritage for those notes, but yet to see them pop up. Plus if I'm going to get one, I'm going for the best example I can find.

Look who's being a tease regarding his PA nationals. :) It's cool, I understand.

8. SemperFiSilver

SemperFiSilver **1 Note Collector

Toledo for me, for now -> want to start with Tampa soon:

[​IMG]

9. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Here's my best Sacramento note, incidentally I got it from a guy Camlov2 hooked me up with from another forum. Thanx again Camlov. :thumb:

Attached Files:

10. camlov2

camlov2 Member

If I can't find the note I am looking for the next best thing is helping someone else find theirs.

11. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

I haven't been able to find any from my community, Needles, CA, nor any records of any existing. So, I started looking for pieces from where my wife if from, Emporium, PA and have found one and am looking for a brownback that won't break the bank.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. tbudwiser

tbudwiser Active Member

All of my national banknotes: (all '29ers)
    $50: G00096627A (obviously Chicago)
    $20's: A058585 (charter 11280, Seattle), H00158049A (St. Louis), F00468421A (Atlanta), and A00091941A (Boston).
    $10's: E00889697A (Richmond) and B01485643A (New York).
    All of those, except for the Seattle $20, we're purchased for price, not the city. I am always on the lookout for ANY Bellingham, Washington FRBN's, but they are extremely tough to find...

13. camlov2

camlov2 Member

California, Chico (camlov2)
    California, Needles (coleguy)
    California, Oakdale (scottishmoney)
    California, Oroville (camlov2)
    California, Sacramento (fretboard)
    California, San Mateo (bonniview)
    California, Stockton (scottishmoney)
    California, Redding (camlov2)
    California, Visalia (scottishmoney)
    California, Woodlake (scottishmoney)
    Florida, Tampa (steveintampa)
    Illinois, Batavia (saltysam-1)
    Illinois, Paris (grimreaper)
    Massachusetts, Boston (jlg1130)
    Massachusetts, Melrose (jlg1130)
    Massachusetts, Stoneham (jlg1130)
    Ohio, Massillon (ryannof)
    Ohio, Toledo (seperfisiver)
    Pennslyvania, Chester (mec2)
    Pennslyvania, Emporium (coleguy)
    Pennslyvania, Harrisburg (dr kegg)
    Pennslyvania, Johnstown (dr kegg)
    Pennslyvania, Lewiston (dr kegg)
    Pennslyvania, Newport (dr kegg)
    Puerto Rico :D (duke kavanaugh)
    New Jersey, Glen Rock (vdbpenny1995)
    Tennessee, Columbia (tyler g.)
    Texas, Dallas (mec2)
    Washington, Bellingham (tbudwiser)
    Wisconsin, Green Bay (lettow)

14. jhinton

jhinton Well-Known Member

Add Hinton, WV for me, Hinton is my last name. I am also on the lookout for any high grade Enterprise, AL notes. Enterprise has two banks that issued the notes and Hinton WV has 2 or 3.

15. tbudwiser

tbudwiser Active Member

I'd like to hope that this is a list of notes you have to offer us for sale. But I'm assuming that this is just a compilation of all of every bodies wanted cities...

16. jhinton

jhinton Well-Known Member

17. camlov2

camlov2 Member

NEEDLES- The kelly book states that there is only $40 of bills outstanding for the Needles Ca bank, so at maximum only 4 bills are possible. Likely those 4 bills were lost or destroyed long ago.

BROWN SEALS- A couple of the towns listed above (Boston, Ma. and Dallas, Tx.) can be found both in National bank notes and Federal reserve notes. There is an overlap of the two types of currency with the 1929 Federal Reserve Bank notes that say National Currency at the top (still brown seal). Even though it says national currency on the bills they are not normally considered to be part of a National Currency set but a separate group to themselves. However, This would be another cheap method to obtain a brown seal note from a particular city as many can be found between 2-4 times face value (except Dallas).

18. camlov2

camlov2 Member

that is the current total want list for everyone.

However I just went into a currency dealer this weekend who focuses on National Currency and I will send the list to him so he can let me know if he has anything. Oakdale- scottishmoney you have a pm incoming.

19. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

Where's my Puerto Rico?
    :D

20. camlov2

camlov2 Member

Just a want list but I am trying to find them for you guys. I haven't listed my extra notes yet... but here they are in case you were wondering :yes:

New Jersey, Passaic
    Alabama, Birmingham
    North Carolina, Gastonia
    (and a note from each of the 12 federal reserve banks)

It is on the list. Remember this is a want list, not a find list... ;)
    If it makes you feel any better your chances are better then Needles, Ca.

21. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Just an FYI, there is a Chester NY, SC, VT, and WV that have known notes that I collect in addition to PA (PA is just the easiest to find)... just missed on a WV a few months ago on theBay dang it...

Draft saved Draft deleted