National Currency (What's your city?)

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by camlov2, Jul 10, 2012.

1. bonniview

bonniview Active Member

I unfornately dont have a national note to share but since we'll only the subject maybe you guys can explain and tell me why all the small size nationals I see have such very low serial numbers?was there just flat out a very low printage of them all?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

Camlov count me in for Puerto Rico :D

4. Duke Kavanaugh

Take a normal note and divide the serial by 13,000 being that there are over that many banks that produced these. Then there are multiples of each S/N because of plates positions I believe. All lead to lower s/n's.

5. camlov2

camlov2 Member

This really depends on the bank, if you look at the Puerto Rico note that Duke wants (good luck with that) one of the types was printed with only serial numbers 1 through 22. Including all four possible types the Kelly book only lists 13 notes known. (estimated value $75,000)

The most common Chico bank I collect had serial numbers 1-3755 for $10 and 1-1075 for $20 (estimated value $300)

The most common bank I could quickly find (San Francisco) had one set of notes with numbers 1-634826 (estimated value $40)

So a single digit serial number might mean something but for the more difficult banks just finding a note is enough.

6. camlov2

camlov2 Member

bonniview- do you have a local town you are interested in finding a note for? If you don't already know we can let you know which towns have banks near you and what you might expect to pay for one.

7. camlov2

camlov2 Member

I'm not as picky, I would be happy with Alaska and Hawaii notes.

8. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

A couple of months ago I went to coin shop in Elk Grove, while I was there I asked the owner if he had any Sacramento National Notes. Elk Grove is the next town over so I would think he would know something about them. He told me that in 30yrs of doing business he had never come across one ever. He said that he's heard of them but never had one go through his store before. I guess coiners have been dealing with them for a long time. I see them at coin shows but they don't show up too much at the coin shops I got to and I've never seen one at my coin club but I've only been a member for 3 or 4yrs. Anyways, I just wanted to share that story because I was really taken aback to find out he had never had one in his store in over 30yrs. :thumb:

9. camlov2

camlov2 Member

Most dealers have little or no currency (maybe a few silver certs.) and have never even had a single national currency bill in their store. Those that do (in California) almost always have either one from San Francisco or Los Angeles.

There are 4 shops within about 30 minutes of where I live, I have only seen one national currency bill in any of those four shops. However, it is a Chico bill that is part of the owners/stores collection and is not for sale. The funny thing is that he says he has had offers of $1k many times and you can purchase them on ebay for around $300. He keeps saying he should buy them and resell in the store but he doesn't (I am glad).

10. Ryannof

Ryannof Member

Here ya go... add Ohio! :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Lucky dogs in Ohio and Pennsylvania have an easy time finding notes. Quite a few of the Cali towns are very near unique if not unique. National issues were just not as popular on the Left coast - I know that my great grandparents etc preferred coin over paper money whenever possible. It was a western mindset. I know I will find Oakdale, they are not that uncommon, Stocktons are scarce and obtainable, Visalia even scarcer but still possible, the Woodlake will probably never happen. I collect where I have a family connection to.

12. jlg1130

jlg1130 New Member

For me, Boston, MA.

Also, I'm looking for notes from banks in Melrose, MA, Stoneham, MA, and Wakefield, MA. I haven't ever seen any nationals for those three towns, though, and don't know if they exist.

13. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Melrose was charter 4769, 2 large sized reported, no smalls, last sold in 1983.

Stoneham was charter 4240, 1 large reported, no smalls, no sales reported lately.

Wakefield had no issuers of National currency.

14. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

I'm still looking for a large Batavia Illinois. (#4646) I have the small note, which only had 1/3 of the total run the large had, but I can't seem to pair it up.

Attached Files:

15. bonniview

bonniview Active Member

Anybody know about the town of colma,ca and/or city of san mateo,ca?Am more into the large size nationals but if any known small size is known that would be helpful too thanks.

16. Duke Kavanaugh

I have one but not the other still :D

17. Duke Kavanaugh

I see no Colma's but there is 1 bank from San Mateo. #9424 It shows 11 large and 33 small's. Cost is a base of $400 and going up from there.
    Good luck

18. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

Noob question, did they make one for every state? if so I wouldn't mind looking for ones printed for New York.

19. bonniview

bonniview Active Member

Thanks for that info duke...tell where did you come across that info a book?if so which one?thanks again

20. Duke Kavanaugh

There are TONS from New York. They made 14,000 plus of them so every state has them.
    Your lucky as there is lots of material from that state you can get. Even the old ones that are extra cool like a 1st charter or a brown back.

21. Duke Kavanaugh

Don Kelly book on National Bank Notes.
    I believe this is his last year writing it and he is letting someone else from now on.
    It's almost $100 but you can keep the book for reference forever!
    There is also a new online census that you can join but at $100 every year it is too rich for my blood as I am not that heavy into nationals.

Draft saved Draft deleted