National Currency (What's your city?)

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by camlov2, Jul 10, 2012.

1. camlov2

camlov2 Member

I started collecting National Bank Notes from local cities about 3 years ago, I seem to find 1 or 2 each year. However, now that I have a few I know that it is going to get harder and harder to find them for sale. I was hopeing for some help finding my cities and at the same time helping others find theirs. If anyone interested would post the cities/banks they are looking for maybe we could keep an eye out for each other.

I personally have seen a few random cities available here in California that someone far away might be interested in. I even picked up a few I would let go from my collection if someone were looking for that city.

I am looking for any banks from the following cities-
    California
    Chico
    Oroville
    Redding

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. camlov2

camlov2 Member

Took some quick pictures at the SDB last time I was there, here are my two favorites...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

Nice Camlov!
    I have wanted a Chico ever since i passed thru.
    They are kind of hard to find though.

5. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Wow nice note, here's one of my Sacramento notes. I noticed that the last three Sacramento Notes listed on ebay didn't do that well. I was pretty shocked as they used to bring crazy money. Have you noticed that too? I mean they weren't really nice or anything but dang, first they were rare and now it seems like nobody is looking for them anymore. :confused:

I'm thinking this may be a good way for you to find a note. Besides that, if someone from across the country has a Chico Note they may part with it for a decent price, they may not want it that bad as opposed to ones from their cities. :thumb:

Attached Files:

6. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

I have one of the last Sacramento notes to go on eBay, I am thrilled they didn't go for much!

I collect either Dallas TX (take a good guess why) or cities named Chester (take a good guess why).

Here's a nice rare one, only the second small $20 recorded at this bank (large notes are common, small notes rare at this charter)

[​IMG]

Another Dallas...

[​IMG]

A frame with some Chester small nationals and obsoletes...

[​IMG]

7. lettow

lettow Senior Member

8. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

I'm sure it's obvious, but in case you can't figure it out on your own.....TAMPA

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The $5 and $20 are in 58 holders, and the $10 is in a 40 holder.

My PhotoBucket account is acting up......I'll fix the photos later

9. crowbaby

crowbaby Member

Interesting I did not know there was so many types. Are some of these still in circulation I wonder.

10. camlov2

camlov2 Member

I would be shocked if they were. Some of the sell three times up to hundreds of times face value. They are hard to miss due to the brown seal.

11. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

The only times these hit circulation nowadays is when little Johnny rifles through Grandpas old dresser looking for something to feed his raging meth habit...

12. GrimReaper

GrimReaper Senior Member

13. idreamofgreenie

idreamofgreenie Active Member

Off topic:
    The oldest circulation find for me would be a 1928 and many many 1934 notes. A brown seal would be quite a find indeed

14. camlov2

camlov2 Member

Pretty good start so far, it would be interesting to see if we could get a collector for each state...
    So what other states have a Chester?

California, Chico (camlov2)
    California, Oroville (camlov2)
    California, Sacramento (fretboard)
    California, Redding (camlov2)
    Florida, Tampa (steveintampa)
    Illinois, Paris (grimreaper)
    Pennslyvania, Chester (mec2)
    Texas, Dallas (mec2)
    Wisconsin, Green Bay (lettow)

15. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

For me: Stockton CA, Oakdale CA, Woodlake CA(I wish I owned the one known), Visalia CA

16. camlov2

camlov2 Member

17. Tyler G.

Tyler G. Active Member

18. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

19. vdbpenny1995

vdbpenny1995 Well-Known Member

I used to live in Glen Rock, NJ. Evern though I have since moved on, anyone with a Glen Rock, NJ PLEASE CONTACT ME!

20. camlov2

camlov2 Member

Three large and one small sold during 2011 through Heritage, all for under $300.

If you are truly interested in that particular note I wouldn't be surprised if you could get it down a bit.
    I was able to get a seller to come down over $100 on a bill in the same price range earlier this year. (not the same seller but who knows)

21. camlov2

camlov2 Member

California, Chico (camlov2)
    California, Oakdale (scottishmoney)
    California, Oroville (camlov2)
    California, Sacramento (fretboard)
    California, Stockton (scottishmoney)
    California, Redding (camlov2)
    California, Visalia (scottishmoney)
    California, Woodlake (scottishmoney)
    Florida, Tampa (steveintampa)
    Illinois, Paris (grimreaper)