National Bank Notes serial #

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Squaredeal, May 10, 2013.

1. Squaredeal

Squaredeal Active Member

On the large size national bank notes it seems the number I thought was the serial # is the treasury identification number (number on top right of bill). And the actual serial number is on the bottom left? Please tell me I am correct...... :)

This will change my $10 princeton bank note from Serial U50104H to 2204................ :devil:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Numbers

Numbers Senior Member

The term "serial number" applies to both of them: the one at the right is the Treasury serial number, and the one at the left is the bank serial number.

At least, that's true for this particular note. Some early large-size Nationals have them the other way around. And some late printings have two copies of the bank serial, with no Treasury serial at all.

The bank serial counts all the sheets of a particular plate configuration issued to that individual bank, while the Treasury serial counts all the sheets of a particular plate configuration issued to all banks nationwide. Both of them are sheet numbers, not note numbers--so in order to uniquely identify your note, you need to record the plate position as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted