National Bank Note Signatures

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by pwd1112, May 2, 2016.

1. pwd1112

pwd1112 New Member

When a bank cashier or president had a substitute sign a National Bank Note in his/her place, the practice was to add an "a" before "Cashier" or "v" before "President". On this note, however, it seems that the Latin pro 'for' precedes some name (illegible to me), followed by "PM", perhaps pro M. Can anyone provide a better explanation? Thanks.

TroupeBankNote1.JPG

old49er likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. old49er

old49er Well-Known Member

Nice note and info. Really interesting. Maybe there was no substitute signature? And this is the name of the Cashier? Just an off the wall guess. although I cant read the name. Or they changed their procedures for some reason?

4. Dean 295

Dean 295 D.O.M.

To the best of my knowledge on the 1929 series bills there were no Vp signatures, and I think the assistant cashier was not on them either. Lets see what a fire store I might have created.

5. pwd1112

pwd1112 New Member

Troupe2.JPG That is a good observation about Assistant Cashiers & Vice Presidents. I have never seen one sign a 1929 note, probably because those notes came from the BEP already engraved and planning forced the real officers to sign. But we are still left with the odd Cashier on the Type 1 notes. The Type 2's from this town had a real person's name, Ross Sears, on them.

6. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

I agree with @pwd1112 , the signatures on the small size nationals are engraved, and I doubt a substitute signer was used. Some of the large size nationals were hand signed, and some had a signature stamp.

7. Small Size

Small Size Active Member

This note may be of interest.

Attached Files:

• VP.jpg
      VP.jpg
      File size:
      44.8 KB
      Views:
  8. Dean 295

Dean 295 D.O.M.

When Small Size posted the photo of a Type 2 bill with a printed VP signature , It knocked my socks off. That is a great find.

Draft saved Draft deleted