National bank note errors in the certified proofs

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by gsalexan, May 12, 2016.

1. gsalexan

gsalexan Intaglio aficionado

As I continue to work on transcribing the Smithsonian certified proof collection, I occasionally come upon an error. I shared one with Peter Huntoon, who has been through this entire collection by hand -- twice! He was kind enough to direct me to a number of other errors he noticed during his research. I'll post them here; let's see if you can spot what's wrong with the pictures. There's a fine line in determining one as an error...

Old Colony NB of Plymouth PA 996.jpg
    Lancaster Co NB PA 683.jpg
    Citizen NB Towanda PA 2337.jpg

Farmers NB of York PA 2228.jpg
    FNB Finley ND 7324.jpg
    Fruit Growers NB of Smyrna DE 2336.jpg

Last edited: May 12, 2016
    Paul M. likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dean 295

Dean 295 D.O.M.

The $5.00 Garfield has (2) Of in the title. Others not sure.

4. Numbers

Numbers Senior Member

The Lancaster is missing the Register's signature, the Finley has a badly misaligned border element at lower left (circled on the proof--bit of a giveaway there), and the Smyrna has mismatched charter numbers (2336 in several places, but 2339 at lower left).

Not sure about the Towanda or the York, though...?

5. gsalexan

Very good! I was surprised anyone caught the double "OF" on the Old Colony proof.

So the other two are where the fine lines come in. If you know what they are on the York proof that one should be easy.

6. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Most of them seem to have the "too many typefaces" error. :p Just kidding. I'm waiting for the answer so I can learn. :)

7. gsalexan

Okay, here we go!

Old Colony National Bank of Plymouth PA ch. 996 - Additional "OF" included under arched lettering

Lancaster Co National Bank PA ch. 683 - missing signature of JW Lyons, Register of Treasury on A plate
    Lancaster Co NB PA 683 cu.jpg

Iowa National Bank of Des Moines IA ch. 2307 - missing plate date (this is absent on all four notes)

Fruit Growers National Bank of Smyrna DE ch. 2336 - Incorrect plate number (2339) used in lower left position of $10, plate C
    Fruit Growers NB of Smyrna DE 2336 cu.jpg

Farmers National Bank of York PA ch. 2228 - large plate cracks in $10 and $20 (the lower crack almost broke the plate apart).

First National Bank of Finley ND ch. 7324 - charter number accidentally imprinted in wrong position on plate
    FNB Finley ND 7324 cu.jpg

Citizen National Bank of Towanda PA ch. 2337 - missing ruled lines for President and Cashier signatures. The inspector caught this one!
    Citizen NB Towanda PA 2337 cu.jpg

SteveInTampa and Paul M. like this.
  8. gsalexan

Here's one more that was too obvious to post earlier. The upper right plate letter "A" was missing from the $20 note on this proof. The inspector caught this one, too.

Citizens NB Ashland PA 2280.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted