Nasty bills - but decent price?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by hotwheelsearl, Oct 16, 2016.

1. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

How did I do here. $74 for all 5. Really not an expert on older paper values, so I hope I didn't kill myself too bad here.

Seller's pics.
    bills1.jpg
    bills2.jpg

Michael K and Noah Finney like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I am not sure but I do like the reverse of the 1917

Noah Finney likes this.
  4. hotwheelsearl

It kind of looks like the 1917 was torn completely separate and then taped back together... I'll have to see when I get it.

Does the low serial of the funnyback give it any extra value (or rather, is it worth not as little as it would be otherwise)?

Noah Finney likes this.
  5. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I am not a paper guy, I have a few stamps that I have collected just because I like the design.

hotwheelsearl likes this.
  6. hotwheelsearl

Same here. I'm a real big fan of these old school designs. Even if I got a numismatically bad deal, I'm still happy because I FINALLY have a Black Eagle and that 1917 I've always wanted.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  7. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Poor "Black Eagle" - 74$ was a decent purchase for everything!!

8. hotwheelsearl

figured it was time to expand my US paper collection to something more than just circulation finds...

9. josh's coins

josh's coins Well-Known Member

that 1917 is looking good. I think you got a fair deal at $74 for everything.

10. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

I'm a quality over quantity collector, so there is nothing there I would buy/keep for my collection. Personally and respectfully, I would have taken the $74 and bought one decent example I like instead of these problem notes. Collect what you like.

Timewarp, stlnats and paddyman98 like this.
  11. hotwheelsearl

I'm a poor collector so I take what I can get! Naturally I would like nice examples but like my Buffalo nickel collection (90% of which are acid dated...), it's so much cheaper haha

12. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I like them. Value wise, IDK. In 10 years or 15 are you going to need that $74?
    Probably not. And you will have these for the rest of your life. Nice low serial number on the Woods/ Mellon 1928-A.
    Retail for all $81. $10, $25, $20, $20, $6

13. Noah Finney

Noah Finney Well-Known Member

Pretty Good Deal. my estimated value is about 150$.

14. hotwheelsearl

Nothing makes me happier than to hear "good deal" :D

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  15. hotwheelsearl

Bills came in today.
    The vignette on the left side of the 1917 was completely torn off and taped back.
    The Black Eagle feels like its going to fall apart any second.
    The 1923 is about to split for good down the middle.
    The 10c feels thinner than one-ply toilet paper.
    The 1928 feels and looks worse than used TP.

Ouch.

16. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Bargains can be found. But generally you get what you pay for.
    This is why I priced them at low end of the spectrum for each note, the distressed condition. Hindsight being 20/20 it would prob be better to get one superior quality note for $75.

SteveInTampa likes this.
  17. hotwheelsearl

Lesson learned! This is why I'm quitting American money and moving entirely into foreign notes, where UNC and remainder notes can be had for very good prices. I can't afford American!

18. Small Size

Small Size Active Member

I once bought a 1869 $1 USN "rainbow note" for next to nothing, because it had been "damaged" by the careful application of an Oglesby, Illinois post office cancellation dated June 4, 1870. It otherwise is a handsome, well-preserved note.
    For a long time I wondered why that had been done. First I thought perhaps the local postmaster was validating the new notes for those unfamiliar with them. But that wouldn't explain its nearly new condition. I even interacted with the city clerk, asking if anything important had happened there that day. Nothing he knew of.
    I finally decided that most likely it was a wedding gift. June 4, 1870 being the first Saturday of the month most popular for weddings. From a clever person of modest means as a keepsake cum "keep this and never be broke" present to the couple. That explains both its survival and its condition.
    It also makes it worth more to me than an "undamaged" note would.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
Draft saved Draft deleted