Napoleon The Third

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by 7Calbrey, Nov 14, 2014.

1. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

Nap O.jpg Nap R.jpg Hi. This French coin dates back to the eighteenth century. It represents Emperor Napoleon III and weighs 24.79 g. I'd like to read your opinions about its authenticity,grade and approximate value? this coin was hidden in one of my old boxes.Thanks a lot guys.. Charles

spirityoda and chrsmat71 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

It's a 19th Century coin and not uncommon. The grade is fairly typical for a circulated example, call it VF. Value is modest, about the same as an ordinary silver dollar in similar condition.

4. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

France 1867A 5 Francs, Paris mint, KM#799.1 mintage-6,586,000 .900 silver
    grade/value. looks authentic
    F-$10.00 VF-$20.00 XF-$90.00 UNC-$275.00
    Krause values may differ from real life values.
    I personally like seeing that bee mark to the left of the date. my main focus is coins with insects.

5. Volante

Volante Well-Known Member

I buy a lot of these on eBay - they generally sell for $20-25. They were minted in fairly large numbers.

serafino likes this.
  6. FredJB

FredJB Well-Known Member

A very historical coin too with Nap. III's connection to the illfated Emperor Maximilian of Mexico and the Franco- Prussian War.

George McClellan likes this.
  7. princeofwaldo

princeofwaldo Grateful To Be eX-I/T!

Napoleon III was an idiot. His end had as much to do with venereal disease as anything else, -not even his closest aids could trust him around their wives. Starting the Franco-Prussian War was another blot on his reign. But his coins are pretty cool, and he did make Paris what it is today. If you want learn more about him, a great book for you:

http://www.amazon.com/Napoleon-III-His-Carnival-Empire/dp/0312018274

Of particular interest to some of us, the book covers Maximilian's disastrous reign in Mexico in great depth, something undertaken on a whim by Napoleon III who then bailed-out on Max and his wife. Max's wife then frantically searched all the courts in Europe looking for a monarch to rescue her unfortunate husband.

8. FredJB

FredJB Well-Known Member

Max was just as crazy refusing to leave when he had the chance.

9. FredJB

FredJB Well-Known Member

Not wanting to hi-jack this thread but since we are talking about Nap.III coins there is a neat series of satirical tokens "honoring" him. Is there a proper place for those some where on this site?

10. princeofwaldo

princeofwaldo Grateful To Be eX-I/T!

Serve them up right here, would be great to see those.

11. George McClellan

George McClellan Active Member

Well, back in them thar days a dollar sized silver coin would fetch a dollar sized amount of sincere consideration in commercial transactions.
    Hard money is hard money.
    ...don't forget to bite it or give it a chop-mark.

12. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

French silver crown. Italy back in that era had a similar sized silver coin of 5 Lire. Pre-paper currency these crowns were used a lot.

Draft saved Draft deleted