Napoleon III powderflask

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Andres2, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

I think this a pistol powderflask from a French officer , lost in battle during the French german war of 1870 , spout & dispenser on top missing , flask beaten up.
    any other thoughts ?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Not sure but that thing is cool!

Smojo and brandon spiegel like this.
  4. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

A very interesting object :) although I have no idea about its use either ...

spirityoda likes this.
  5. Taxidermist

Taxidermist Collector of US/IL/RU/DE

Real coins drilled? If they are all 5 francs someone invested 150 francs into it... unless there was an inflation during those years, wouldn't it be a pretty bad idea?

spirityoda likes this.
  6. Andres2

Nothing to do with inflation, Common practice in the 19th Century, but mostly done to make pill boxes, heres a box made out of 10 1840 silver rupees.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

sonlarson and chrsmat71 like this.
  7. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

90% of the silver value could have gone back into maney as the scrap drilled out metal. They afre put together a bit untidily.

I doubt it was a powder flask, I think it is simpley a novelty cylindrical box

8. brandon spiegel

brandon spiegel Brandon Spiegel

I think that what ever it is, it is awesome!

9. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Travel cup. The hole is for the straw.
    ;)

10. afantiques

I am pretty sure that hole in the top is accidental or deliberate damage where it has been hit by something cylindrical with a spike on it.

As a powder flask it would be useless, too much chance of that top lid coming open and dumping all the powder; it would need to have a screw top to be secure.

11. Andres2

Good point about the lid coming open to easy.
    It was'nt put together untidily , it came out of the ground somewhere in France , after been buried for 100 years + , it was deformed into an oval shape.
    probably been overrun by a horse / cannon wheel / carriage or whatever.
    and pressed back to some sort of round Original shape again.
    Maybe its also a pillbox , for someone who was heavy on pills.:wacky:

average size of a typical pillbox is 38 mm x 20mm high
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. afantiques

THe coins rims are clearly offset from one another to give the illusion of a pile of coins. Probably intended as a desk ornament where the illusion of a pile of coins would make sense. Certainly it is a bit battered but the initial construction is what I meant

It could have been made much later than the coins circulated. They'd still be readily available in the early 20th C in France.

13. Andres2

Thank you for your opinion on the coin box , English, I agree with a desk ornament made to imitate a pile of coins . Tried to put in pencils, cigarettes , dont fit to long.
    cheers, Dutchy.

brandon spiegel likes this.
  14. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

Maybe pencils were shorter back then...

brandon spiegel likes this.
  15. FredJB

FredJB Well-Known Member

By 1870 the French were no longer using loose powder weapons. They had cartridges for their rifles.

Draft saved Draft deleted