Napoleon French Coin?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by SorenCoins, Sep 22, 2018.

1. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

Hey guys. I found this coin today that I got at the Denver Coin Show back in May. Still dont know exactly what it is! I think the date is 1870, and I know it’s some centimes denomination from France, but beneath the eagle is a W mintmark and I can’t find any that have a W mintmark on Numista. Hopefully someone knows better than I do!
    59A32F85-C90E-4645-89DE-E97AC10887D6.jpeg 5B11F528-62B6-4691-BD1C-7E304E1A66EA.jpeg

Theodosius likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

If you give the diameter, I could tell you what denomination it is. The W mintmark is Lille, and was used from 1853-1857 on these coins.

SorenCoins likes this.
  4. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Well-Known Member

Hope you didn't buy it.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  5. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

It's either 5 or 10 centimes. I'm guessing 10. The 5 is about the size of a British half penny. The 10 is about the size of a U.S. half dollar. There's a ton of these out there and most of them are worn. You see them in a lot of dealers' junk boxes and unless they have at least a readable date they're not worth messing with even at 25 cents. Yours doesn't have any collectible value.

SorenCoins likes this.
  6. Hiddendragon

Also, it's Napoleon III, who was actually Napoleon's nephew.

SorenCoins likes this.
  7. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

I think it is 5 centimes. Like this one.
    119.jpg 120.jpg

8. SorenCoins

Thanks everyone. I was clearly wrong on the date! I'll get the diameter when I get home. I did get it out of a junk bin for 25c. Plus, I'm not really in it for the collectable value-- just the learning experience!

9. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

Speaking of the learning experience... When I was a young kid I lived in France, and found an old box hidden in a shed. That box contained a couple hundred old French coins, the most common being this coin you have. Most were very well worn, until you could hardly make out dates. To this day I can still recall the smell of that box, it smelled like old oxidized copper, I guess.

10. SorenCoins

Funny. That’s pretty awesome though, must’ve been really cool to see them all together. It’s funny, I know what you mean by that copper smell, must be some way the copper reacts with the oils on our hands or something. This one has it, it also has this interesting black tarnish that comes off on your fingers or paper!

11. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

An advanced search on numista.com allows you to put in the diameter of a coin. Takes out a lot of guessing work. The coin is pretty common, but still a cool piece of history.

SorenCoins likes this.
  12. SorenCoins

Most definetely is cool! For $0.25 the learning experience is totally worth it. I got a lot of other interesting foreigns with this. Including some very interesting French territory coins of various locations in Africa and Asia. Still common, but cool. The diameter of this one is 25mm and it weighs 4.50g, so I assume it is the 5 centimes right? I still cant find it on Numista! maybe Im doing it wrong .

Seattlite86 likes this.
  13. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

The year could be the problem. Your coin seems to be the type that @Siberian Man posted here, but that was minted in 1853-57 as @Dave M wrote. (Numista)

In 1870 there were a couple of satirical pieces such as this one. Don't know of a regular 5 centimes coin though ...

Christian

SorenCoins likes this.
  14. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

With numista, sometimes less is more. The corrosion and circulation may have made the coin lighter. I did an advanced search with France and 25mm diameter and had seven hits, two of which match your coin to a high degree and one is clearly the correct one when looking at how far the crown extends past his forehead. Numista can sometimes be fickle, but it is without a doubt worth learning to search it, if you want to collect world coins.
    https://en.numista.com/catalogue/in...v=&m=&a=&t=25&dg=&w=&u=&f=&g=&tb=y&tn=y&cat=y

@ldhair

SorenCoins likes this.
  15. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Well-Known Member

Its really easy to find out the denomination through size comparison.
    A 5 Centime is the same as a Quarter and a 10 Centime is the same as a Half give ore take a tad.

20180928_114640.jpg
    20180928_114754.jpg

SorenCoins likes this.
  16. Hiddendragon

I like the French territory coins a lot, and many of them are more collectible than actual French coins. Coins like these are really interesting to me. 1948 cameroon 1 francs.jpg 1953 madagascar 5 francs.jpg

SorenCoins likes this.
  17. Hiddendragon

18. SorenCoins

Theyre definetely special!

Draft saved Draft deleted