Name this Roman Ruler

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by 4to2centBC, Nov 25, 2015.

1. 4to2centBC

4to2centBC Well-Known Member

I have this coin. It is without any attribution and I can't read the legend. I'm sure this is a slam dunk for many here, so I capitulate and ask for your help in identifying this coin. Thanks

unk emp obv.jpg unk emp rev.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

The "other" Trajan: Decius. :)

stevex6 likes this.
  4. 4to2centBC

really? I thought I saw decius, but I also saw a lot of other things also. Thanks

5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

For sure Trajan Decius.

swamp yankee and Ancientnoob like this.
  6. John Anthony

IMP TRAIANVS DECIVS AVG is the obverse legend.

7. Bing

Uberitas avg is the reverse legend.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  8. 4to2centBC

9. Bing

Looks about right to me.

4to2centBC likes this.
  10. John Anthony

I wanted to comment further on this coin but didn't have the time earlier. The student of Roman mythology can ask the question, "Who is Uberitas, and where did she come from?"

The OP coin has numismatic significance because Uberitas first appears on the antoniniani of Trajan Decius. She hangs around on the coinage of the Third Century, primarily the issues of Gallienus, Claudius Gothicus, Postumus, et al. (If you find a rare issue of Trebonianus Gallus with Uberitas at a reasonable price, buy it!) Then she altogether disappears by the tenure of Aurelian.

Now it's no big deal that a new god appears in the kaleidoscope of the Roman pantheon, but my question is: why exactly did the Romans need a new goddess of wealth and prosperity? Moneta was still hanging around (Hey - I'm standing right here!), as was Abuntantia and others. So where did Uberitas come from and why? Enquiring minds need to know. :)

Ancientnoob and 4to2centBC like this.
  11. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Maybe it has some type of other meaning, maybe referring to the magnitude of plenty? For example some of us worship Collectia but some of us worship Horedika. Some of us have Moneta and some of us have Uberitas Moneta.

12. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

We have Abuntantia but we have Indulgencia.

13. John Anthony

Yes of course, there had to be some aspect to Uberitas that other abundance gods were missing, at least to some of the population. I just don't know what that is, and I can't seem to find any information on Uberitas other than general descriptions.

14. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

IMP C M Q TRAIANVS DECIVS AVG is the obverse legend.
    Caesar Messius Quintus

John Anthony likes this.
  15. John Anthony

16. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Uberitas is richness in a fruitfulness/fertility sense and the purse she holds is made from an udder. You will find those who dispute this but ask them to explain the shape of the money bag on my Gallienus and Decius. I would not have shown the Gallus but JA wanted to see it.

rx1240b01312lg.jpg rx1400bb0547.jpg rx1590bb0044.jpg

As I recall some bags held by Hermes/Mercury have the protrusions also.

17. John Anthony

Yes, many of them do look exactly like Hermes' money bag, others have the simple triangular shape.

Draft saved Draft deleted