Name that Emperor

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by 7Calbrey, Jun 2, 2021.

1. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

The reverse of this bronze coin has a horse standing right. I can't guess the name of the Emperor on the obverse. I think he's Roman. Thank you.

Emphe O.JPG Emphre R.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Well-Known Member

It’s from Alexandria Troas… and many of these are from the joint reign of Valerian and Gallienus. We’d need some clearer pics of the reverse legend to be sure.

Here’s one of mine of Valerian:
    ValerianAlexandriaTroasSngCop191v.JPG
    The legend on my coin is IMP LICIN VALERIAN. Not sure about yours.

Limes, ominus1, Johndakerftw and 6 others like this.
  4. 7Calbrey

Thanks. I don't own this coin yet. I'll be searching on Wildwinds to see if it's worth.

5. 7Calbrey

I think he's Gallienus. SNG Cop 203.

6. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Be careful. Vcoins is a fine place to look for retail, but that is assuming someone is looking for that particular coin. even then most accept lower offers. I have the coin you posted, quite a few actually. I got them at FUN in a big bag of provincials for $2.65 per coin. They were about that grade.

What I am saying is common, lower grade bronzes are poster children how each coin by itself is way higher than their real value due to dealer time invested. They need to mark up cheap stuff higher to get paid for their time. If you are buying, and do not "need" that coin, discounts well below Vcoins is appropriate. I probably have a couple thousand bronzes I would sell if I could get half Vcoin prices.

7. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..sound advice Sir...:)

8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Agree. Every dealer has his personal minimum price that makes it worth handling a coin sale. Some of them have it over $1000 but many are $100. It takes no more work to handle a $100 sale than a $10 sale so buying $10 coins from a $100 dealer makes no sense.

ominus1 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted