NAC wins

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Andrew McCabe, Jun 25, 2021.

1. pprp

pprp Well-Known Member

How often are you successful in your bids when using as a guide the price ranges of past sales ?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Andrew McCabe

Andrew McCabe Well-Known Member

25% which is as it should be. I want to buy cheaper than the typical range of prior sales but I do like the occasional success

However, when there is undisclosed information about a coin (provenance, rare variety etc) my success rate rises to 75% because "price ranges of past sales" are now higher due to rarity / provenance etc. This includes buying slabbed coins that have been undergraded as many modern collectors look at the grade and not at the coin.

Another example of undisclosed information is when there has been a host of fakes on the market, but the coin I'm bidding on is genuine (because I know). Those who are aware of the fakes are scared to bid and those who don't know about the fakes just think the type is common. The Murcus below, mine, came originally from a 1960 Jean Vinchon sale via a more recent auction (where the provenance wasn't disclosed, I discovered by research, #DoTheWork ); the dies are of finer style than is usual for the issue but are known for over a century
    murcus.jpg

Many (very many) of the Murcus types sold in the last decade are modern forgeries (and of course do not have old provenances) yet have sold for much more, as fakes, than my old provenance genuine example. I paid about one third the typical going rate for a coin of this quality because by the time my coin came up for sale, the market was spooked by fakes (if you knew) and abundance (if you didn't know). In time the fakes will get weeded out and my old provenanced coin will be worth a lot more

Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
  4. Di Nomos

Di Nomos Well-Known Member

For those of you who won in the NAC auctions, have you received your invoice yet? Won a lot in sale 124, but no email yet. Will be a week tonight, so may have to email them. Don't like to be pushy though.

Just checking with others first. Thanks.

5. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

No invoice yet here; I suspect they're swamped producing them.

Di Nomos likes this.
  6. Fugio1

Fugio1 Well-Known Member

I found my invoice from NAC in my spam folder received at 2am this morning. So yes, I've received mine.

Di Nomos likes this.
  7. Cicero12

Cicero12 Well-Known Member

I have received mine

Di Nomos likes this.
  8. Di Nomos

Thanks for the replies. I shall wait patiently :)

9. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

No invoice here either.

10. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

Just received it now so I suspect you'll have it soon.

11. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

I got mine this morning as well.

12. Di Nomos

Thanks guys. Just got up and checked my emails, it's there. Appreciate the replies.

13. PMah

PMah Member

A person mentioned in this thread recently looked at a NAC catalog with me and other acquaintances. I noted an unusual denarius I was interested in. Response: " yes, but I would not go above X". So, I bid "X-10%" online, as we did not have a client relationship. I watched live and it kept going up, maybe 7 increments. And stopped at my -10%! And that advice was given to me as a courtesy. Now I will ask that person to represent me at some live auctions. It will be well worth it, I think.
    As to the wealth comments, 5% is 5%: "What do you tip at a coffee shop or bar?"

Cicero12 likes this.
  14. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

Nothing. There's no such thing as tipping in Australia.

Draft saved Draft deleted