NAC: Less than 100 Lots Away!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Restitutor, Oct 7, 2020.

1. Restitutor

Restitutor Well-Known Member

This is my first time getting to witness an EID MAR sold live, and we are less than 100 lots away from it coming up to the block! Sadly I won’t be able to bid as I have my sites set on the gold Roma one.... :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

finny, +VGO.DVCKS, DonnaML and 3 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I'm planning on watching the auction as that lot closes. It's always fun to watch the big auctions even if I'm not bidding :).

4. Numisnewbiest

Numisnewbiest Well-Known Member

If it's not over already, do you have a link?

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  5. Restitutor

finny, +VGO.DVCKS and Numisnewbiest like this.
  6. Numisnewbiest

7. Numisnewbiest

Well, it was a fun thought, and I signed up for an account, but you can't watch the live auction until you're approved to be a live bidder, and it says that's a few days from being approved. And here I was, all set to bid my left leg and my neighbor's car on the coin!

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  8. Restitutor

Ended up going for 340K CHF pre fees. I screen recorded the bidding as I expected some fireworks but it was pretty tame actually.

finny, +VGO.DVCKS and Numisnewbiest like this.
  9. Numisnewbiest

I got in with about five lots to go - wow, the Eid Mar went for $340,000 CHF ($370,000)!

+VGO.DVCKS and Restitutor like this.
  10. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

$371K plus fees... wow... wonder what the gold will go for?

+VGO.DVCKS and Numisnewbiest like this.
  11. Restitutor

I figured this one would hit 500k and the gold closer to a mill, so maybe the gold will go for around 750k?

+VGO.DVCKS and Clavdivs like this.
  12. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

I imagine there's actually just a handful bidders and a lot of interested observers!

And yes, i am just watching!

13. Numisnewbiest

The Gaius (Caligula), lot 707, is a beauty, too, but I need another lifetime to save up for an auction like this one.

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  14. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

I bought it.

Still recovering from the bidding process: it's been no small amount of anxiety for the last couple weeks! I should have been wearing a heartrate monitor during the online bidding - that would have been fascinating to watch.

While it isn't as long-pedigreed as some examples, it's pre-2011 which is important from a cultural property standpoint. The detail is far sharper than the one I owned before and the porosity is not nearly as bad (it's better in-hand as well; thankfully I was able to lot-view in London before the lockdowns started or else I wouldn't have been comfortable enough bidding on it).

Needless to say, it's been an atypical Wednesday morning!

15. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Congrats, Joe! Wow, you've owned not one but two Eidies! That's incredible. The NAC coin has a fantastic portrait and appropriately sharp daggers :D.

16. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Congrats Joe! Your collection is always amazing!

+VGO.DVCKS and Carl Wilmont like this.
  17. Numisnewbiest

Congratulations, Joe! Looking forward to your always great photos when it gets into your hands.

+VGO.DVCKS and Carl Wilmont like this.
  18. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Congratulations, @AncientJoe ! And wonderful you survived the anxiety. This is a very cherished acquisition! Well done.

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  19. Roerbakmix

Roerbakmix Well-Known Member

Wow, that's so cool @AncientJoe. I always wonder what will happen next with high-value auction wins: does the auction firm send it via insured shipping, or another method (probably the latter, but how?). Completely off-topic question, but congrats!

finny and +VGO.DVCKS like this.
  20. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone! I'll definitely post a thread when it eventually arrives (which might be a while, knowing the pandemic).

Pre-pandemic, I'd have flown over and carried it back: the cost of the flight would be cheaper than the cost of shipping. But it will be probably be sent either Brinks or Malca Amit.

finny, rrdenarius, +VGO.DVCKS and 6 others like this.
  21. Roerbakmix

Roerbakmix Well-Known Member

Interesting, @AncientJoe. I've driven 250 km twice for a couple of more expensive (i.e. 2000€ ballpark) coins. Looking forward to your thread!

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted