NAC Auction

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Restitutor, May 11, 2021.

1. Restitutor

Restitutor Well-Known Member

Hi All,

Made some impromptu NAC purchases in yesterday’s auction and just curious about the post-auction process. Does NAC send invoices via Biddr? Also, the auction info makes it sound like the shipping is all arranged by the buyer. How does that work? Usually the auction house will include the shipping info. with the invoice but will I need to contact a shipper independent of the NAC invoice?
    Thanks in advance

galba68 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Romancollector

Romancollector Well-Known Member

Typically NAC will send your invoice to your email, not through Biddr. Prior to this auction, I have won lots in 2 NAC auctions. According to my email records, I received both invoices 2 weeks after the date of the auctions. I would assume that some people receive theirs sooner and some later. You definitely don't need to arrange shipping separately. I asked them to use Fedex prior to receiving my first invoice and they kept it on file for my subsequent invoice. Hope this helps. Congrats on your wins!

Scipio, Broucheion, tibor and 3 others like this.
  4. Restitutor

Perfect, thank you very much!

5. Scipio

Scipio Well-Known Member

Anybody else did notice prices weren’t crazy as usual? At least for RR

TIF and Restitutor like this.
  6. Restitutor

Yep! Only reason I felt comfortable snagging some. Feeding on silver in these predominantly gold auctions seems to be a winning strategy :happy::

20632830-C32E-412D-BBDF-506A881A99A4.jpeg 48850FBA-21FF-4E9F-896F-A0B2D405C9E2.jpeg 6A8F311D-FE13-4E08-BFAB-5CE8AC9BA07E.jpeg

7. Andrew McCabe

Andrew McCabe Well-Known Member

NAC are a typically a little slow in sending invoices and coins due to
    - very small firm, running just a few auctions per year so it takes time to clear the invoices
    - they are used to invoicing small numbers of high value coins with individual shipping details such as export permits, brokers etc. so they do their invoicing manually for each buyer and circumstance

So, be patient, they'll get around to you and your coin(s) and will offer appropriate shipping choices

8. Andrew McCabe

Andrew McCabe Well-Known Member

I thought prices very cheap for the coins I bought. Below a coin from the Nordheim collection, auctioned by Glendinings in 1931, with the provenance disclosed. A check on ACsearch shows only a single pre WW2 provenanced example of this type which hammered at $8000. This my new coin hammered at 2250F but I could have gone a lot higher and still been in the normal price range for nice examples with decent provenance
    IMG-20210510-WA0050.jpg

And a friend bought the below Pan Silenus Vibia, a great rarity and very complete with symbols and legend for only 450F. I'd certainly have been bidding four figures for this rarity if needed. Cheap!
    IMG-20210510-WA0045.jpg

On the other hand some common types even with very bad surfaces, sold dear. I don't know why.

tibor, Seated J, DonnaML and 7 others like this.
  9. Scipio

Scipio Well-Known Member

I went full on Titus Didius, and I still can’t believe I won also the Villa Publica denarius in the rare “gate” variant 4256274E-7DAE-4AD9-87BC-4459C31DA5AA.jpeg D365160E-1689-4559-B6F7-3FB465BD88ED.jpeg

tibor, svessien, DonnaML and 6 others like this.
  10. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Am I wrong? I always thought the best place to buy things is when they are offered to a market that has no interest in them. Years ago, I got some nice coins to my standards by bidding in NFA auctions but only on the low end lots that people like the Hunt Brothers did not find worth collecting. At the moment that might mean bidding too high on coins no one would have bought for any price last year but when the big money is shooting for the top 10% of lots, there can be nice coins in the bottom half. That does not work as well in sales that have a wide range of qualities or high lot minimums for 'nothing special' coins (CNG Electronic). It does not work at all for sales that regularly place starts so high that half the lots get no bids. Does it work for sales with printed catalogs that will soon be worth $50 as references? Go through the last few Triton sales and look at coins that failed to make estimate. Were some worth the estimate? Should you have bid on them rather than on the coins that someone bought for 10x estimate?

fomovore, Hamilcar Barca and Scipio like this.
  11. El Cazador

El Cazador Well-Known Member

tibor, Orfew, Johndakerftw and 4 others like this.
  12. pprp

pprp Well-Known Member

Unfortunately the Greek section was quite crazy, very high prices for ordinary coins without any old provenance, there were only a handful of bargains among 1000 lots.

NewStyleKing likes this.
  13. zadie

zadie Well-Known Member

I thought price were quite competetive in the Roman section at least. Friends of mine made some pretty good deals in Greeks. Unfortunately I lost all my main targets in both sections. In a flurry of anger and frustration I snagged this civil war piece that I found fascinating (and for a very reasonable hammer, 500F!):

1847982_1618905778.jpg

Civil War, Vindex AR Denarius. Uncertain mint in Gaul, AD 68. SALVS GENERIS HVMANI, Victory standing to left on globe, holding palm branch and wreath / SPQR within corona civica with circular jewel in bezel at apex

Ex Münzen Auktion Essen 91, 2005, 214; Meister Sonntag 4, 2006, 75 and NAC 101, 2017, Ploil, 155 sales.

Scipio, DonnaML, Johndakerftw and 2 others like this.
  14. FrizzyAntoine

FrizzyAntoine Well-Known Member

I felt prices were relatively strong but well within the margin of 'fairness' for Greek coins. Some of the RR prices blew me away but then again that area seems to be pretty expensive across the board these days, and there were nonetheless a few good deals to be made, and by the Roman Imperials prices seemed to have evened out again.

Personally however I'm walking away quite happy after managing to win a few nice Greek lots, all for the same amount or less than their previous hammers, which feels especially good these days.

While not the priciest coin I picked up, and despite the less-than-pristine condition, this is nonetheless the one that gives me the most pleasure. Being quite rare and of immense historical interest to someone who obsesses over Philip II as much as I do I'm honestly still a little shocked (and immensely relieved) nobody else seemed to want it.
    Philippi Hemidrachm (356-345 BC).jpg

Volodya, Scipio, Orfew and 5 others like this.
  15. pprp

pprp Well-Known Member

Not commenting on your wins, but as a general remark just bear in mind that the sheikh was paying absurd prices for the coins he wanted, and reportedly other bidders were competing with him for fun and to make him pay more. In most occasions the starting price in nac was 3-4 times less of what he paid. A normal estimate would be 2 times the starting price that nac had.

FrizzyAntoine likes this.
  16. FrizzyAntoine

FrizzyAntoine Well-Known Member

Oh indeed, he overpaid by a massive margin on many of the coins, and many of the prices in the sale reflected that by being lower. Not to worry however, I checked general prices for the types I wanted on acsearch before bidding rather than relying on his previous bids.

svessien likes this.
  17. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

Indeed, and at times, the Sheikh competed against himself... i.e. the three-quarter facing Pantikapaion stater where he mistakenly gave his bids to two different dealers and ran himself up for the last 1M GBP.

It's easy to form a billion dollar art collection if you start with two billion dollars.

fomovore, Scipio, Cucumbor and 5 others like this.
  18. Romancollector

Romancollector Well-Known Member

Received my invoice this morning... much quicker than I anticipated!

As for prices, I didn’t watch the Greek section so I can only comment on the Roman section. Overall, prices weren’t bad. There were a few exceptions on some of the nicer offerings, but for the most part prices were reasonable. I don’t think the hammer prices on my two wins were extreme.

Restitutor likes this.
  19. Tejas

Tejas Well-Known Member

Here is a coin that I bought in the NAC auction. It is a Quarter-Siliqua of Athalaric. I have some 100 Gothic coins in excellent condition. With this one I had to make a concession because of its great rarity. The reverse legend is DN ATHA LARI CVS, without the title REX or RIX.

The coin attests to the problems with the handover of power from Theoderic the Great, who died on 30.08.526 to his grandson Athalaric, who was only 10 years old at the time. Theoderic's designated successor Eutharic had died unexpectedly before Theoderic.

A Gothic king had to be a military leader who had proven his worth in battle. The obvious choice was Tuluin, a battle hardened warrior and close associate of Theoderic. He would have been the preferred choice of the Gothic nobles, who could not imagine the idea of a child-king, let alone one under the tutelage of a woman (his mother Amalasuntha), and Roman scholars.

So for some time there was uncertainty about Athalaric's claim to kingship and it was in these days or weeks in which the coin below was minted without the title of king.

Tuluin, however, was a wise man. He realised that his lack of Amal-blood would make him a constant target for other members of the royal Amal family like Theodahat and Amalaric who had been cast aside. Thus, after a short while he came out in support of Athalaric, thus allowing him to assume the title of king (Rex), which was soon added to his coins.

Screenshot 2021-05-13 at 10.09.07.png

seth77, PeteB, Scipio and 4 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted