Nabataean Coin

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by old49er, Jan 22, 2018.

1. old49er

old49er Well-Known Member

Hi everyone, I'm pretty excited to get my first Nabataean coin. I have been wanting one since I saw one posted here. There is some really interesting History and Petra is a fascinating place to me. I love the sandy patina look and the coin appears to be in decent condition. nabatean.jpg Nabataea, Aretas IV & Shuqailat. 9 BC - 40 AD. Jugate busts of Aretas IV & Shuqailat /Crossed cornucopiae, Nabataean inscription. 18 mm, 3.7 g. ref: Meshorer. Obodas was assassinated in 9 BC, (possibly poisoned by Syllaeus) and Aenaeas took possession of leadership, and took on the name Aretas IV. A short time later Syllaeus found himself in shackles, and was transported to Rome. He was tried for the murder of Obodas by a Roman court, found guilty and pitched headlong from the Tarpeian Rock in 6 BC. copyright 2002 CanBooks http://nabataea.net/mhistory.html Feel free to share anything related.Would love to see them.:) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petra

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

Very nice example of the type!

Here's a not so nice example of the type, but it was free...so I'm not complaining.

102_7345_zpskgk1ua6o.jpg

Nabatean Kingdom, Aretas IV, 9 BC - 40 AD

O: jugate busts of Aretas IV and Shuqailat(off flan), R: cross cornucopias. "Aretas (off flan)/Shuqai/lat. Petra mint. 16x18 mm, 3.3 g

4. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

They are interesting historical coins...Nabatean Trajan overstrike on Rabble ll coin..(now famous) attribution courtesy @John Anthony Trajan early Nabatean strikeover silver 001.JPG Trajan early Nabatean strikeover silver 002.JPG

5. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Great coin, @old49er ! Many are still available at an affordable cost. I've got more but they're in slabs. I obtained all of the coins on this poster for under $100.

NABSNEW.jpg

coin_nut, Parthicus, RAGNAROK and 7 others like this.
  6. old49er

old49er Well-Known Member

Cool coins all. Can't beat a free coin chrsmat71, nice overstrike ominus1. I really like your collection and presentation Deacon Ray,well done!

7. Johndakerftw

Johndakerftw Mr. Rogers is My Hero

Attachment-1 (18).jpeg Attachment-2 (14).jpeg

Thank you Deacon Ray! :D

Erin

Parthicus, RAGNAROK, Ajax and 7 others like this.
  8. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Deacon Ray, ominus1 and old49er like this.
  9. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..John is the dude in the know on this babehs...

10. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

11. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

That’s a very nice one, Erin! :wideyed: Is that the one I sent to you? ;) Sorry! I didn't recognize it when you first posted it.

Johndakerftw likes this.
  12. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Here's a Rabbel II coin...from an uncleaned hoard of mixed roman mostly LRB.

rabbel1.jpg

rabbel2.jpg

13. Johndakerftw

Johndakerftw Mr. Rogers is My Hero

It is indeed! Such an awesome coin. :D

Erin

Deacon Ray likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted