N.F. String & Sons Rolls

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by WpnsExpert78, Mar 11, 2012.

1. WpnsExpert78

WpnsExpert78 New Member

Ok guys went to a new branch of my bank and asked if they have some mint rolls and let me tell you they amazed me. But Im confused how do you tell where the rolls come from? I mean it does say Denver or Philly or anything it just has N.F. String and Sons. They had around $2000.00 Dollars worth so I bought half and have decided I will go back Monday for the rest if I can figure out which Mint they came from. Thanks 2012-03-10 20.32.51.jpg 2012-03-10 20.32.47.jpg 2012-03-10 20.32.34.jpg 2012-03-10 20.32.24.jpg 2012-03-10 20.32.17.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. WpnsExpert78

WpnsExpert78 New Member

More

More rolls.

Attached Files:

4. WpnsExpert78

WpnsExpert78 New Member

Even More

Yes even more....

Attached Files:

5. McBlzr

McBlzr Sr Professional Collector

Since you are in Houston, I'm guessing they could have come from Philly or Denver. Since about similar distance from each mint to Houston.

6. WpnsExpert78

WpnsExpert78 New Member

So no real way to tell besides tearing into them? Man I was hoping to hang on to them for a rainy day that I could look for errors but now I'm curious to know the mint!!!

7. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

Those are just general rolls of $1 coinage, and the N.F. Strings and Sons could be someone who rolled the coins and cashed them into the bank.

Only way to tell which mint they're from is search the rolls.

8. silverfool

silverfool Active Member

I think N F Strings rolls right from the mint. they should be new coins but which mint, might have to look.

9. Dennis68

Dennis68 Member

I would bet that all of the coins are Philly mint.

10. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Strings and Son make the wrappers and the wrapping machines, they do not wrap coins. Anyone can have Strings and Son wrapping machines and anyone can use their paper. On the other hand the wrappers that have the Presidents name on them can fairly safely be assumed to be solid Unc rolls. Rolls without the name could be solid uncs or mixed rolls. And the only way to find out what is in them is to open the roll.

11. WpnsExpert78

WpnsExpert78 New Member

Can anyone get wrapper with the presidents names on them or would they only be able to get plain ones.

12. McBlzr

McBlzr Sr Professional Collector

When I bought my US Grant rolls from Bank of America, I opened one of them and they were all Denver mintmarks.

Grant_rolls_Denver_Mint_20.jpg

13. wooleytree

wooleytree Operation Flamingo

I live in the Dallas Ft Worth area and most of the new coins come from the Denver Mint. it is rare that we get anything new from Philly.

14. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I find the Mississppi river to be a very good boundary line. In IA and MN all I ever got was Denver coins, but a friend of mine in IL only ever got Philly. Same with a friend in TN. I am sure there is some overlap, but its the mental boundary I use when I want to guess.

15. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

This article by the NY FED describes (in general terms) how coins are distributed. In brief, there are twelve (12) Federal Reserve Banks and they receive coins from the Mints nearest them or redistribute existing coinage they receive from their member banks. The redistributed coinage can be from any Mint, but the new coins are from the Mint that serves that particular Federal Reserve bank.

In a general sense, Federal Reserve banks 1-6 are supplied by the Philadelphia Mint and Federal Reserve banks 7-12 are supplied by the Denver Mint. However, that's not set in stone; a lot depends on product availability. You live in Houston, so I would guess your coins come from the Denver Mint via the Dallas Federal Reserve bank. Open one roll and the rest should be the same.

As for the N.F. Sting & Sons wrapper, you can get rolling machines and supplies directly from N.F. String & Sons if you like. My understanding is that the Federal Reserve banks receive bags of coins from the Mint. The Federal Reserve banks either roll the coins themselves or contract the rolling operation to private firms. My guess is that the N.F. String & Sons rolls come from Contractors.

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted