Mythical Creatures

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by furryfrog02, Aug 11, 2020.

1. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..i reckon that's where we get the term "demon'......here's a couple of hippocamps..:) hippocamps   herinnia estucilla anton 002.JPG hippocamps   herinnia estucilla anton 001.JPG

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Where does one draw the line between mythical creatures on the one hand, and minor deities and demi-gods like nymphs and satyrs and fauns on the other hand? Or deities and personifications like Nike and Constantinopolis who are basically human in form but have wings? Where does Pan/Bacchus/Liber fit in?

ominus1 likes this.
  4. ominus1

..hehe...good question...i'd reckon they all qualify ifn they have some vestige of non real human or living critter traits...i.e. wings, hoofs, etc... or even a magic(supernatual) power. (that they normally wouldn't have):)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
    DonnaML and Alegandron like this.
  5. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Wow, that would include me.

Orielensis, furryfrog02 and ominus1 like this.
  6. ominus1

...ahahaha ><...you ARE a mythical creature Brian...:D...

Alegandron likes this.
  7. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

Good question. Intuitively speaking, I'd say a mythical creature only counts as a mythical creature if it appears in this book:
    Fantastic_beasts.JPG

But simply in order to not slavishly rely on the authority of Mrs. Rowling, I would propose to accept any creature that has (dominant) animal features, does not exist in the real world, and is mentioned in ancient or medieval mythology and folklore.

Also, your griffin denarius posted above is symply fantastic, @DonnaML!

DonnaML, ominus1 and Alegandron like this.
  8. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I was originally thinking creatures like more animal-like but I suppose @ominus1’s definition fits the bill.

ominus1 likes this.
  9. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

[​IMG]
    Iberia Castulo Late 2nd C BC AE As 25mm Bust Nose Hand Sphinx

Limes, DonnaML, Johndakerftw and 4 others like this.
  10. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

The Sphinx:

[​IMG]
    Antoninus Pius Provincial Egypt Bronze Drachm - Sphinx
    Obverse: Laureate head left, "AYT K T AIL ADP ANTWNINOC CEB EYC"
    Reverse: Sphinx seated right, wings raised, left forepaw on wheel, "L IZ" (year 17)
    Catalog: Milne 2249
    Diameter: 33mm
    Weight: 19.6gm
    Struck Alexandria, Egypt AD 153-154

:)

11. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

I'm actually sort of surprised that it took that long for hippocampus to be posted. Here's mine:
    inCollage_20200812_123026133.jpg

And here's a capricorn for good measure:
    [​IMG]
    Philip II, 247-249 AD
    AE29, Commagene, Zeugma

Obverse: AVTOK K M IOYΛI ΦIΛIΠΠOC CЄB, Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right, seen from behind.
    Reverse: ZЄYΓM-ATЄΩN, Tetrastyle temple, draped figure within, atop peribolos containing grove of trees; in exergue, capricorn to left.
    References: BMC 35, SNG Copenhagen 35
    Size: 29mm, 15.8g

jamesicus, Theodosius, Limes and 6 others like this.
  12. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Maybe... and maybe later this week I'll have time to catch up with this and other threads :sorry:. I started a new job last week... a very different direction in my career... and it's taking most of my focus. Looks like it may be enjoyable though and I work from home!!

13. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Well congratulations! Don't forget about us :)

jamesicus, Justin Lee and TIF like this.
  14. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Comgratulations!

jamesicus, Justin Lee and TIF like this.
  15. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Skylla... head and torso of a female human, lower body of three dog foreparts, and two fishy tails!
    RR Sextus Pompey - Scylla.jpg
    ROMAN IMPERATORS. Sextus Pompey
    AR Denarius. 3.76g, 18.9mm. Sicily, 40-39 BC. Crawford 511/4; Sydenham 1348; Sear, Imperators 335. O: The Pharos of Messana surmounted by a statue of Neptune; in foreground, galley left adorned with legionary eagle, sceptre and trident; MAG PIVS IMP ITER around. R: Scylla left, wielding a rudder in both hands; PRÆF CLAS ET ORÆ MARIT EX SC around.
    Ex Andrew McCabe Collection, privately purchased from John Jencek, 2011

Hydra... monstrous multi-headed serpent
    Geta - Hadrianopolis Hydra 1944.jpg GETA
    AE27. 11.72g, 27.6mm. THRACE, Hadrianopolis, circa AD 209-211. Varbanov 3684. O: AVT K Π CEΠTMIOC ΓETAC, laureate, draped bust right. R: AΔPIANOΠOΛITΩN, Herakles standing left with raised club, preparing to open a can of whoopass on the Lernean Hydra.

Ichthyocentaur... human upper body, lower body of a horse, and the tail of a fish
    Plautilla - Nicomedia Triton.jpg PLAUTILLA
    AE Assarion. 3.68g, 19.4mm. BITHYNIA, Nicomedia, circa AD 202-205. RG 253 (same obv. die); Lindgren & Kovacs 172 (same obv. die). O: ΦOY ΠΛAYTIΛΛA CEBA-CTH, draped bust right. R: NIKOMHΔEΩN - ΔIC NEΩKO/PΩN (second neocorate), (Female?) Ichthyocentaur, diademed, nude, with forefeet of horse and serpentine-shaped fishtail, riding left over waves, holding rudder over left shoulder and in extended right hand unknown object (dolphin?).

Criocamp... half-ram, half-serpentine fish monster
    Gallienus - ex Holmes Zoo Criocamp 3536.jpg
    GALLIENUS
    AE Antoninianus. 3.35g, 22.1mm. Rome mint, 8th officina, 10th issue, AD 267-268. 'Zoo' series. MIR 36, 741b; RIC V (sole reign) 242; Wolkow 21a8 (R); Cunetio 1389. O: GALLIENVS AVG, radiate head right. R: MERCVRIO CONS AVG, Criocamp to right; H in exergue.
    Ex N. M. McQ. Holmes Collection; ex Rauch Sommerauktion 2010 (13 September 2010), lot 1208

DonnaML, Johndakerftw, Bing and 4 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted