Mystery Error

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Electron John, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Electron John

Electron John Active Member

Anyone want to guess what this is? Probably too easy for you guys but lets see. Image was taken on a scanning electron microscope (sorry no color when using electrons) at 20x. Mystery Error.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Off center strike, and as always, a very interesting look at one. Kudos again!

Edited to add: cent.

Garlicus likes this.
  4. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Oops.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  5. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Have any counterfeits or altered surfaces you care to image?

6. Electron John

Good idea! I have a fake 1914D cent that should be interesting. Maybe next week...

7. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

8. Oldrdawg

Oldrdawg Active Member

9. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Now there is...better! :)
    zcamera-20170113_191215.jpg
    I want to share this image that belongs to Electron John

10. Electron John

Nice coloring Paddyman98! But that makes it too easy to guess! :)

1981 off center Lincoln cent is correct by the way. That is about as off center as it can get and still see the date. At least that is my most off center cent with date.

By the way, note the finger oils on the edge of the coin which show up a darker stains. The oil is darker because it is less dense then the copper and bounces fewer electrons off which results in a darker pixel at oil covered spots. Should have rinsed with acetone before taking this picture but at least it shows that I was handling the coin correctly, by the edges. Probably should use gloves though...

Amos 811 likes this.
  11. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Looks now like the surface of the moon. Those are tiny craters from tiny meteorites.

Electron John likes this.
  12. Electron John

Here are a few more pictures of this error. Note how there appear to be drag back marks on parts of the edge of the imprint. I suspect the die stuck to the planchet momentarily after the off strike and pulled back, scrapping a bit of the coin, as the die pressure relaxed and then lifted up. But I am open to any other ideas. That is just my guess.
    Lincoln Cent, 1981, off center, 70d, 70X, edge, with bar.jpg Lincoln Cent, 1981, off center, 70d, 120X, edge, with bar.jpg Lincoln Cent, 1981, off center, reverse, zoom 100%.jpg Lincoln Cent, 1981, off center, zoom 68%.jpg

mynamespat and Amos 811 like this.
  13. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Oh, man, I'm itching to see similar images of fake 1909-S VDB cents and 1916-D dimes with mint marks added using various techniques.

14. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

It looks more like a "push" as the leading surface (like a wave) appears undercut.

I wish I had an SEM! You can educate all of us with any future posts! :happy:

Electron John likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted