Mystery Coin of The Day

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ancientnoob, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Mystery Coin of the Day!!!!

28 mm x 8.19 g Bronze Coin Holed. MysteryCoin.jpg

TIF and Gil-galad like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

I know it, but I can't think of any clever pun.

Let me try yuan more time.

TIF, Ancientnoob, Bing and 1 other person like this.
  4. Ancientnoob

You're not going to Khan me into telling you this time...

stevex6 likes this.
  5. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Hartill 19.14 - a Regular coin?

Ancientnoob likes this.
  6. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

7. Ancientnoob

You got it Doug, quite regular indeed.

8. Ancientnoob

From Primal Trek

"This coin is from the reign of Kublai Khan (Emperor Shi Zu) (1260-1294) of the Yuan Dynasty.

The inscription (je üen tung baw) is written in the Mongol script (Phags-pa). The equivalent Chinese inscription iszhi yuan tong bao (至元通宝).

The size of the coin indicates that it has a value of "2 cash" which means it was equal to two regular cash coins.

These coins were cast during the years 1285-1294
    ."

9. Ancientnoob

MARCO POLO!!!

10. Ancientnoob

Its got like a 6 "R" rating. I dont know how rare these are but I can scratch it off the list.

11. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

They used to be very available but have went up in price. Frank Robinson used to have these, (a little nicer, maybe VF coins), 3 for $65. I bought two groups at that price, thinking they were better coins having the Mongol script and being a large coin. I am glad I did.

Ancientnoob likes this.
  12. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

=> how cool, eh? (very cool)

Spock.jpg

... hey, it's not that cool pretending that you're Spock ... but man, it must have been so cool "actually being Spock!!"

Ancientnoob likes this.
  13. Ancientnoob

I would say so. It appears this Kublai Khan variant is pretty scarce, and I was just reading that paper was the primary currency and there are only a couple of examples that exist.

14. Ancientnoob

stevex6 likes this.
  15. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Actually, my friend => if you were thinking Khan ...

khan aaa.jpg khan a.jpg

;)

Ancientnoob likes this.
  16. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

That has been on my wish list for some time. Although I know it's not terribly rare, I just keep on missing it.

17. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

I'm sorry A-Nooberoo, but for whatever reason, I have absolutely "zero" interest in these Asian coins with the holes in 'em (really, they're almost as interesting as US coins!!)

bring-it.gif

:woot:

Ancientnoob likes this.
  18. medoraman

Yes it's true paper money was the primary currency of the time. Mongol script coins have only a couple of variations, but there are chinese script coins of the Yuan dynasty more available and cheaper. Most collectors only getting one coin per dynasty get those instead since they are much cheaper, but these are much cooler. I love the coin personally. I would say it's one of my favorite cash coins.

stevex6 and Ancientnoob like this.
  19. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

wow => medoraman brought it right way!! (it's funny how different we are, eh?)

20. medoraman

Yeah, ours have a bunch of boring dead presidents I will grant you that, but it's better than a bad portrait of Winston Churchill you guys have to stare at all day. ;)

stevex6 and Ancientnoob like this.
  21. Ancientnoob

Whatchu trying to say? You prejudice against Asian coins? Don't worry man its all good if it makes you feel better I don't like Jewish coins they are small groddy and expensive, and I only have one.

There are certain things we all like about coins. Chinese cash style coins are not my favorite but I feel I must honor China's long and influential history with a few key pieces.

stevex6 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted