Mystery Coin I bought at auction

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Iriegirl, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Iriegirl

Iriegirl Member

Hi, I'm new to this group and it looks like I joined a good one. I'm also pretty new to collecting and have been focusing on US coins. However, I did just buy this one as a "Mystery Coin" and have no idea on it's origin or age. If anyone has any ideas I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Attached Files:

Theodosius likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

4. Iriegirl

Iriegirl Member

WOW!! Thanks so much! That is my coin exactly and from the quick research I have done on it now, I'd say I did quite well on my first ancient coin purchase. Beginners luck! Thanks again for your help!

5. DallasCoinsNThings

DallasCoinsNThings Numismaniac

@Iriegirl ... just a tip in the future... Take Coins out of the Plastic Flips before you photo them. I use the phone on my camera, and zoom in a little. It sometimes helps to show the details well.

If you do that, then people give more precise answers, I've found.

Just some friendly posting advice! :)

6. Iriegirl

Iriegirl Member

Thanks for your advice, very much appreciated. Actually that was the coin I bought at an auction on pics alone from the seller. Not my pics. It is a great coin and now I know I made a very good buy w/o knowing anything about ancient coins. I was bidding on some pre '64 Roosevelt dimes and thought why not combine some shipping and take a chance on the "Mystery Coin." Honestly, I just liked the castle. Just a lucky guess and will stick to my US coins for the most part. I am interested in your opinion as well on what I bought. It sure fits to a tee on what chrsmat71 sent.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    Theodosius likes this.
  7. roman99

roman99 Well-Known Member

Nice! Here’s my Licinius II campgate

Attached Files:

8. Iriegirl

Iriegirl Member

Yep, that's it. It is a very cool coin and I am so happy I took a chance on it!

Draft saved Draft deleted