Mystery ancient coin I bought 11 years ago...

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Sallent, Jun 27, 2019.

?

Will the box have a coin? And if so, of which emperor?

1. No way! Your drunk college self probably traded it 11 years ago for a keg of beer.

10 vote(s)
    27.0%
  2. Yes, there is a grumpy guy on the coin, but it's not Roman or ancient

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
  3. It's an ancient coin, but not Roman

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. It's a denarius of Titus or Vespasian

9 vote(s)
    24.3%
  5. It's a denarius of Caracalla

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
  6. It's a denarius or ant of another emperor not mentioned above

10 vote(s)
    27.0%
  1. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

An empty beer bottle is my guess!:angelic:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Nerva's kinda grumpy, too:

Nerva LIBERTAS PVBLICA denarius TRPII COS III.jpg

chrsmat71, furryfrog02, Ryro and 3 others like this.
  4. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

5. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Man, 6 hours to go and I'm nervous as hell. I've tried to recall por the past 18 hours whether I actually left anything in that bank box or not, and for the life of me I can't remember at all. Too much partying is bad for remembering things.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
  6. Sallent

Leaving for the bank now. :D. Wish me luck.

dadams likes this.
  7. Sallent

Doesn't look grumpy to me....but this is what I found....

IMG_20190628_170402716_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190628_170410862_HDR.jpg IMG_20190628_170417543_HDR.jpg IMG_20190628_170425753_HDR.jpg

I think I'm going to donate it to an educational program....like the one where you can donate ancients to schools to teach kids about the ancient world (I'll have to Google it up). After all, I didn't miss it for 11 years, so I'm sure it will find better use there. It certainly doesn't add anything noteworthy to my collection, so I want someone else to be able to cherish it more than I ever did

8. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

That is a seriously nice coin. Glad you will do something nice with it.

9. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Trajan. And all along I thought it was going to be Gordian III. A Gordie was actually my first coin I bought when I was 10 years old - for $30.

Like this one:

[​IMG]

The above coin hammered for $37. So think twice if you think Gordie's are going to be a valuable investment. I should have started investing in mutual funds when I was 10.

KSorbo, frank008, chrsmat71 and 7 others like this.
  10. Milesofwho

Milesofwho Omnivorous collector

Well, that was fun!

11. Sallent

I have to take better photos later, but here it is outside the holder....the obverse is decent, the reverse is blah

IMG_20190628_182418676_HDR.jpg IMG_20190628_181909451_HDR.jpg

And just in case anyone is curious what else was inside the box...there was a pack of desiccant, there were two $100 government bonds, and an old Bank of America receipt from 2007 when I opened the account for the box. That's it....nothing that exciting.

12. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I don't believe it. I think you took the emply beer bottle out and replaced it with the Trajan!!!!:eek:

13. Sallent

Well, don't matter if you believe it or not, but that's exactly what I found in there.

Could one of you guys do me the favor if attributing it for me? And what do you think about donating it to these people? Are they above board?

http://ancientcoinsforeducation.org/component/option,com_frontpage/Itemid,1/

14. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Denarius, issued 103-111.
    Obv: IMP TRAIANO AVG GER DAC P M TR P COS V P P, laureate bust right, aegis on far shoulder
    Rev: SPQR OPTIMO PRINCIPI, Genius, naked except for cloak around waist, standing left, holding cornucopiae while sacrificing out of a patera over a lighted altar.
    RIC 183.

Roman Collector likes this.
  15. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

It's a neat coin, in that it exactly mirrors one of the types later used on tetrarchal folles. In fact, I think it may be its earliest occurrence. Edit: nope, there's a very rare denarius of this type for Vespasian, RIC 1356.

Screen Shot 2019-06-28 at 5.55.14 PM.jpg

Bing, chrsmat71, Ryro and 3 others like this.
  16. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

A nice one @Sallent . I like the toning on it.

17. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

That is pretty exciting @Sallent! I just read through this thread. Shame I missed it as it was happening. I was busy wrangling 15 boys at cub scout camp. It has been an exhausting week to say the least haha. Glad to have an interesting read now that I finally have a few seconds to mysef :)

rrdenarius and Sallent like this.
  18. Sallent

In case anyone is interested, the flan is18.5mm on average, and the coin weights 2.74g.

That is a little underweight. I would expect an average of 3.1g or 3.2g for denarii of this period, but with the wear and some crystalization and porosity...I don't think that's an abnormal weight. I can definitely see some crystalization through the flan splits at the rim.

I'm going to contact the charity tomorrow to arrange the shipping.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
  19. thejewk

thejewk Well-Known Member

Can't believe I missed this thread, and was itching to post that I thought it would be a Trajan coin, only to find I was late. Nice find, and good cause!

Draft saved Draft deleted