Mysia Kyzikos lion/boar hemiobol

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ambr0zie, Dec 19, 2020.

1. ambr0zie

ambr0zie Dacian Taraboste

Hello ladies and gentlemen,
    Before I found this forum I wasn't interested in Greek coins (only RIC and Roman provincial) but I noticed some very artistic examples posted by collectors here so I decided to study this area and, of course, add some Greek coins into my collection, the ones that I found to be beautiful/representative (and not very expensive)
    What caught my attention was, definitely, the ones from Kyzikos with the lion and the boar so I managed to get one (not the best conservation but I am still happy)
    upload_2020-12-19_19-0-26.png

I want to attribute it correctly, this was listed as a hemiobol (9 mm, 0.40 g) but I noticed there are several subtypes.
    That little symbol on the side with the lion - what is that?
    Checked on Wildwinds
    https://www.wildwinds.com/coins/greece/mysia/kyzikos/i.html
    and I suspect it is the one listed as Rosen 522 as it looks, to me, like a panther head.
    If there are other members that know about these coins (and I know there are) I would like a second (or third, fourth... :) ) opinion, please.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Those are fun little coins, @ambr0zie! Being a Roman collector, I don't have many such things, but here's mine, which was called a trihemiobol by the auction firm:

[​IMG]
    Mysia, Kyzikos (c.480 BC)
    AR Trihemiobol, 10 mm, 1.16 g.
    Obv: Forepart of boar left ; Tunny upward.
    Rev: Head of roaring lion left, outstretched tongue, all within incuse square.
    Ref: Von Fritze, Nomisma IX Kyzikos, Group II, 9 / Table V, 10-11.

4. ambr0zie

Yep, I first saw one on this forum and I was very curious about them :)
    Fortunately there were about 15 in an auction, I lost a few but I managed to get that one.
    I would just like to confirm the exact attribution if possible, it was described as
    Mysia. Kyzikos circa 480-400 BC.
    Hemiobol AR

5. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Great coin, @ambr0zie ... fun to have!

upload_2020-12-19_11-48-32.png
    Mysia Kyzikos AR Hemiobol 480-450 BCE 0.4g Boar-Lion retrograde K Sear 3850

6. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I have a Boar that FLIES, also...

upload_2020-12-19_11-50-12.png
    Ionia Klazomenai 480-400 BC AR Drachm Pentobol 3.5g 13mm Forepart winged boar r gorgoneion incuse sq Cf SNG Copenhagen 12 Rare

7. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

8. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

As tiny as mine is (10 mm.), it's still described as a diobol:

Mysia, Kyzikos, AR Diobol, ca. 450-400 BCE. Obv. Forepart of boar left; to right, tunny [tuna] upwards. Rev. Head of roaring lion left within incuse square. Seaby 3846 [Sear, David, Greek Coins and their Values, Vol. 2: Asia & Africa (Seaby 1979)]; Von Fritze II, Group II, No. 9 (p. 36) [Von Fritze, H., "Die Silberprägung von Kyzikos" in Nomisma IX (1914), at pp. 34 - 56]; BMC 15 Mysia 108-113 [Wroth, Warwick, A Catalog of the Greek Coins in the British Museum, Vol. 15, Mysia (London, 1892) at pp. 34-35]; SNG BnF 361-366 [Sylloge Nummorum Graecorum, France, Cabinet des Médailles, Bibliothéque Nationale, Vol. 5, Mysia (Paris 2001)]. 10 mm., 1.22 g., 6 h.

Mysia, Kyzikos, Boar-Lion diobol, jpg version.jpg

I see no difference between this "diobol" and @Roman Collector's "trihemiobol" except for my lion being inside an incuse square; they seem to be around the same in weight and diameter.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
  9. ambr0zie

Great coins!
    I also found out about the gorgoneion from this forum and I couldn't resist buying one also :)
    Greek coins are great fun, I need to study them also as I mainly ignored them until now.

What about the symbol above the lion? do you think it is a panther/tiger?

+VGO.DVCKS and Alegandron like this.
  10. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Coingrats on the wonderful new Greek right on the edge of classical and archaic.
    I love the type so much I recently upgraded:
    share5329834251936959699.png
    Mysia. Kyzikos

480 BC. Obol AR 11mm., 0,71g. Forepart of boar left , E (retrograde) on shoulder, with tall mane and dotted truncation, dotted line on shoulder, to right, tunny upward / Head of roaring lion left with bristling mane, outstretched tongue, and dotted truncation, all within incuse square.
    Ex Silicua Subastas

Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
  11. ambr0zie

Thank you @Ryro
    I am starting to develop a passion for Greek coins, started by this coin :)
    I am not 100% happy as the tunny fish is missing in action because of the flan, but nevertheless it's OK.
    I also bought other Greek coins now, most of them because I saw some examples on CT that I really liked, so when I found them available, Santa Claus was paying attention and won them.

12. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

A general question: How do we know that the boar is supposed to be the obverse, and the lion is supposed to be the reverse? Is it the presence of the fish with the boar?

13. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Awesome! Can't wait to see them:woot:
    That Santa Claus, always on the lookout for us;)

You know why Santa's so jolly, right?
    Cause he knows where are the naughty girls live:troll::kiss:

+VGO.DVCKS and ambr0zie like this.
  14. ambr0zie

:) I know some jokes with Santa Claus but I will be banned from this forum and since I gained a lot of knowledge here, I prefer not to :)

Will post my new additions later today as I want to catalogue them. They are not spectacular in condition but I think the prices were very decent and the coins are very interesting for me.

Bot anyway, a question for experienced collectors, is my attribution ok for my hemiobol (even if I am not convinced the denomination is correct)?
    That symbol above the lion looks like a panther/tiger and I didn't find anything else.

DonnaML, +VGO.DVCKS and Ryro like this.
  15. BenSi

BenSi Well-Known Member

Before I found this forum I was not sure what the coin was. Reading the threads can be very educational.

9.10mm and .8gm
    m4.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted