Mysia, Cyzicus Trihemiobol

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Joshua Lemons, Mar 23, 2021.

1. Joshua Lemons

Joshua Lemons Well-Known Member Supporter

So I took the plunge into ancients. I've always admired ancient coins and their history, but have been reluctant. One of my many collecting themes is to collect small. I love tiny coins! On a FB group I belong to this little gem popped up from a reputable seller and I just had to have it. I was lured in. At 1.17 g. this little beauty fits my collecting theme perfectly. I like that it's well struck and centered compared to others of the type I have seen for sale. Polish_20210322_233442002.jpg Polish_20210322_233340494.jpg
    Mysia, Cyzicus, Trihemiobol. 525-475 BC Obv: Forepart of running boar l. Rx: lion's head l. jaws wide open.

Sorry about the poor pictures. I only have a phone camera.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

That's a very nice example -- the tunny fish isn't even off the flan! Here's my less-centered specimen:

[​IMG]
    Mysia, Kyzikos (c.480 BC)
    AR Trihemiobol, 10 mm, 1.16 g.
    Obv: Forepart of boar left ; Tunny upward.
    Rev: Head of roaring lion left, outstretched tongue, all within incuse square.
    Ref: Von Fritze, Nomisma IX Kyzikos, Group II, 9 / Table V, 10-11.

4. ambr0zie

ambr0zie Dacian Taraboste

One of the coins I discovered here in CT. Before becoming a member I was not interested in Greek coins but I discovered some attractive coin designs (and I still do) and whenever possible I added an example in my collection.

My example (hemiobol, unfortunately tunny fish missing)
    upload_2021-3-23_14-19-7.png

5. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

That is a very nice example of this series which is quite extensive if you want to get into minor variations and denominations. I have a few but not the ones shown here so far. My smallest is 1/4 obol (tetartemorion) and has only the tunny. It was first shown here by Stevex6 from whose sale I bought it. 0.2g
    g61523fd1545.jpg

A later 1/4 obol shows two tunny fish. 0.2g
    g61525fd0953.jpg

My obol has a retrograde K in the field but the tunny is off flan. 0.7g
    g61530bb0096.jpg

At 1.2g this trihemiobol seems relatively massive.
    g61531fd2187.jpg

I remain uncertain of the denominations and feel it unlikely that the people who used these called them by the Athenian names but do not propose a more accurate system.

6. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Lured in by the tuny fish :hilarious:
    Coingrats on a very handsome example:cigar:
    Here's mine
    share5329834251936959699.png
    Mysia. Kyzikos
    480 BC. Obol AR 11mm., 0,71g. Forepart of boar left , E (retrograde) on shoulder, with tall mane and dotted truncation, dotted line on shoulder, to right, tunny upward / Head of roaring lion left with bristling mane, outstretched tongue, and dotted truncation, all within incuse square.
    Ex Silicua Subastas

And a coin believed to come from Cyzicus, mainly due to the similarity of the lion's style:
    share1499139604685692871.png
    Mysia. Kyzikos (?) Uncertain. Tetartemorion (Circa 5th century BC).
    Obv: Crescents in triangular arrangement; pellet in one and between two. Shield (?)
    Rev: Head of roaring lion left within incuse square.

Condition: Good very fine.
    Weight: 0.09 g.
    Diameter: 6 mm.

Ex: Savoca

7. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Mysia, Kyzikos

[​IMG]
    Mysia Kyzikos AR Hemiobol 480-450 BCE 0.4g Boar-Lion retrograde K Sear 3850

nicholasz219, Bing, Curtisimo and 5 others like this.
  8. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

Welcome @Joshua Lemons . You picked up an interesting coin. I bought mine a couple of years ago to show my Razorback relatives in Arkansas.
    Silver Obol Boar Lion Brumus Num 6.11.18.jpg
    It would take 3 or 4 of mine to make one of yours.
    MYSIA, Kyzikos. Circa 480 BC. AR Hemiobol
    Obv - Forepart of boar left, showing both front legs, lower tusks, ears & bristles raised; behind row of dots, on R tunny fish upward
    Rev - Head of roaring lion with spiny mane, left; star to upper left; the reverse should be within incuse square, but not much of the square is showing on this small coin.
    0.35 g
    7 mm

9. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Trihemiobol... isn’t that just 1.5 obols?

dougsmit likes this.
  10. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Yep. The name means three halves.

rrdenarius likes this.
  11. Joshua Lemons

Joshua Lemons Well-Known Member Supporter

Sorry about that, I am really new to the world of ancients. I'm going by a seller's description.

12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

It is not at all unusual to see coins sold using different terms and it is not always certain which is closer to correct since we do not have written records for many things. A trihemiobol or 1.5 obol is also 1/4 of a drachm (six obols equal one drachm). How did the citizen of Kyzicos look at it? Do you have a US five cent piece or a nickel or perhaps even a half di(s)me? The coins shown in this thread span a period of time at least equal to the one that separates Roosevelt dimes from the first US silver and people applied different names and weight standards along the way in both cases. We study and we try to do the best we can. Then we guess.

Joshua Lemons and rrdenarius like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted