Mylar flip heat sealing?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Howard Ryan, Mar 4, 2021.

1. Mike Thornton

Mike Thornton Learning something new everyday.

I was thinking the same. Likely gases will be released. May be harmful but don't know for sure.

tommyc03 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

The way I started with it, is that I took one of the mylar 2x2 flips , set the heat to lowest position and starting at the fold end, I started pulling the handle down until it stopped and then raised it again. If the flip wasn't sealed, I moved the mylar slightly away from the original trial , raised the temperature and tried again, repeat, repeat until the seal holds well and mark the dial. But I decided I wanted to try a little higher with the heat and went an extra step up. I got good melted seal. I saw no smoke. Tried a PVC soft flip and it burned through it with a few wisps of smoke. It has to do with the element and the heat setting, they do not come preset for any type of plastic. imo , Jim

4. whopper64

whopper64 Well-Known Member

NO HEAT, NO TAPE REQUIRED! (sorry about the all caps)
    I've been using a method of preserving coins in flips without resorting to heat or tape. Dansco album 7000 allows 6 or 7 pages of 12 flips per page. With the corrosion-inhibiting slipcase, your coins are being protected 24/7. The pockets hold any 2X2 flip. So skip the potentially damaging heat, and enjoy your coins anytime. Flips can be removed easily from the pockets, and entire pages can be removed or added to the album.

charley likes this.
  5. LRC-Tom

LRC-Tom Been around the block...

My heat sealer has a 1 to 8 setting. When I bought it, I experimented with various settings to see what works best with Mylar flips. The highest melted the Mylar, while the lowest did not provide a good seal. So now I have it set right in the middle, and it seems right.

I don't do this for long-term storage. I use it when I pack and ship my eBay coins, to prevent damage to the coin by the receiver, or (and yes, this has happened) from switching of coins.

I've seen where some of the major auctions will do something similar. When you view the lots, they are sealed in flips in a similar way.

Works well, for my purpose, and theirs, apparently.

6. Howard Ryan

Howard Ryan Member

Yeah I tried it at the highest 320 F and it melted it. I'm using the archival saflips. 300 F didn't melt put holding the iron down did fuse together. But I think I'm just going to buy an actual sealer for 30 bucks.

7. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

Cool. I look up the saflips. They say heat sealable on the package so must be something in their recipe to do that, that others don't have with their PET.
    Either way you gotta play around with it and test until it's doing exactly what you want... like a toaster. Haha. My toaster sucks!

Draft saved Draft deleted