My World Coin Collection

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by dave_in_delaware, Oct 21, 2016.

1. dave_in_delaware

dave_in_delaware Active Member

Well, I'm (finally) finished cataloging my world coins! I hope it's OK to post my collection here, because I wanted to share it with everyone. :) I used Numista as my "go-to" reference website. Please forgive me for any errors or mis-categorizing any coins, as I'm totally new to this.

I haven't taken any photos yet. That will come next, and only of the more interesting ones (as well as ones I have questions on). Will post those here in my thread as they get finished.

The attached pdf is just an Excel list that I put together of all my coins, with each page being a different country.

Some statistics:

382 coins total
    378 inherited from my grandfather
    3 received as change recently
    1 received as a gift from my wife

2003 is the newest coin
    1919 is the oldest coin

25 Countries represented (does not include any USA)

I have questions about a few, but they'll be separate threads.

All of these coins (well, except for 4) were kept in a plastic jar, in a toolbox, in the basement of my grandparents' house. Two labels made of multiple rows of masking tape written in ink by my grandfather were on the jar and lid.

The lid reads:
    Coins from
    around the world
    for D. P. Mooney
    Keep

And the side of the jar reads:
    8-12-83
    Coins from all
    over the world
    for D. P. Mooney
    Keep
    Do not spend
    maybe valueable
    When he grows up
    give to him after I am not here

I received the jar from my grandmother after my grandfather passed away from cancer in 1989. I have looked at a few coins in the past but never "got into" all of it until now.

Hope you enjoyed looking at my collection (although it's "text-only" for now). Thanks for looking. Photos to follow.

Electron John and jj00 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dave_in_delaware

Here's the file:

Attached Files:

paddyman98 likes this.
  4. dave_in_delaware

In case anyone is wondering, I did not put all of the coins back into the jar. ;) They are "organized" by country either in paper sleeves, or in open plastic containers, for now. Until I can get something a little more professional.

5. dave_in_delaware

Oh, sorry, one more thing. I was told that these coins came from a friend of my grandfather's. The friend was a pilot who flew all over the world, and he would bring back a few coins for my grandfather to save for me. I'm not sure if they're all from this friend, or if my grandfather may have gotten some himself.

6. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

Those jars and their labels are worth more than money. I hope they are kept in a safe place as well as the coins.

dave_in_delaware likes this.
  7. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I am so looking forward to seeing picks of thee oldest coins. ;)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  8. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Interesting story and nice file.
    You must of spent a lot of time on it. I was interested in the 2 Spain pages.
    I will look at it better when I get a chance and get back at you.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  9. dave_in_delaware

Thanks for the kind words.

It took me about two weeks, working 2-4 hours after dinner each evening, to complete the world coin catalog pages in Excel.

10. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

Well, if you upload for us a decent photo of that Japanese "10" coin with "symbols," we may be able to date it for you.

11. dave_in_delaware

Well, add another coin and country to the list. Just found a 2 Rupee coin from INDIA in my change today. Guess it was successfully passed off as a quarter at the store.

So, updated stats:
    383 coins total
    378 inherited from my grandfather
    4 received as change recently
    1 received as a gift from my wife

Updated catalog file:

Attached Files:

12. Electron John

Electron John Active Member

Nice collection Dave. You should think of going to a coin show if they have one in your area. You will be able to grab coins from countries you don't have yet, sometimes from very cheap (e.g. 5 for a $1).

Draft saved Draft deleted