Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Chris B, Jun 13, 2018.
Log in or Sign up to hide this ad.
Germany BRUNSWICK-WOLFENBUTTEL Rudolf August 12 Mariengroschen 1675 with 1681 city of Strasbourg c/m (lily over arms with diagonal bar)
I must say, I have many Wildman coins and some counter stamped coins but no counter stamped Wildman coins. Yours is the first that I have seen. Did you notice that the flat spot on the dated side kind of looks like a foot? Or is that just something in my head?
This is the only countermarked wild man I have. The spot on the reverse does look like a footprint but I think only the chance result of the countermark hammer blow
Very nice collection and writeup. I should mention that one of the only two times I attended the NYICS (1999 & 2000), I saw one dealer with several (12?) high grade Wildman thalers. Many appeared to be uncs. Unfortunately I ended buying junk which was in my area of specialty but back then I was pretty much a neophyte in world coinage.
On another note, in addition to displaying your collection in collector's society, you can also create a website about Wildman coins. You can make links and have pages on the history, denominations, tables of low res & high res pictures, etc. I've done that with my collection using HTML. I've also tried to learn some styling of the HTML. A link to some of the better pages is here:
On my website I've done.
1) 1998: Original website in HTML. It worked but auction houses told me it was amusing but childishly crude.
2) 2004: Redone using a pro developer using WordPress. Expensive, very complex and only the front page and the image maps were actually in WordPress the rest in the old HTML. Even then I had to fix the imagemaps as they weren't done correctly.
3) 2005: Fixed WordPress by myself. However I had to commission custom WP plugins to handle the photos. Never really worked as the plugin developer could never understand my needs. After a year wasn't able to get one "coins page" actually into WordPress.
4) 2008: WordPress site was hacked as are all WordPress sites eventually. Site became filled with Medical Testing ads. Completely took down site for a couple years.
5) 2018 New Developer told me about a much more secure CMS than WordPress called ModX. Paid her to put the site into ModX but she only got the 1st page working thru sort of a fudge. Site only had 1 page. Also expensive.
6) 2018 late: Worked on learning ModX myself but it's very tricky. The more I learned the more I saw that ModX was copying HTML but with less capability.
7) 2019: Went back to HTML programming of site myself. Learned a bit of styling. Not professional, no SEO (i.e. never found on Google listings) but at least cheap. Had to pay $38 to udemy for html learning classes. Also bought a book on html. Paid a few people on Upwork ($12/hr) to do "bulk html programming of many pages" that I could do myself but wanted to save time.
Current result, everything works, it's beginning to look nice. A lot of the info needs fix'n but being just plain html: there's nothing I can't easily change myself. Also I use the cheaper Corel Photopaint for image processing. I still need to learn to take better photos tho.
Also to show you how easy HTML is, I copied this comment to it's own html page. It's found on the bottom menu.
Separate names with a comma.