Featured My Wildman Addiction

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Chris B, Jun 13, 2018.

1. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Those are outstandingly beautifull!!!!

Chris B likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. talerman

talerman Well-Known Member

Wild man with a difference

Germany BRUNSWICK-WOLFENBUTTEL Rudolf August 12 Mariengroschen 1675 with 1681 city of Strasbourg c/m (lily over arms with diagonal bar)

Strasbourg cm on Br-Wolf Rud Aug 12 Mariengr 1675  LD obv 838.jpg Strasbourg cm on Br-Wolf Rud Aug 12 Mariengr 1675  LD rev 839.jpg

4. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

I must say, I have many Wildman coins and some counter stamped coins but no counter stamped Wildman coins. Yours is the first that I have seen. Did you notice that the flat spot on the dated side kind of looks like a foot? Or is that just something in my head?

5. talerman

This is the only countermarked wild man I have. The spot on the reverse does look like a footprint but I think only the chance result of the countermark hammer blow

Chris B likes this.
  6. Gallienus

Gallienus coinsandhistory.com

Very nice collection and writeup. I should mention that one of the only two times I attended the NYICS (1999 & 2000), I saw one dealer with several (12?) high grade Wildman thalers. Many appeared to be uncs. Unfortunately I ended buying junk which was in my area of specialty but back then I was pretty much a neophyte in world coinage.

On another note, in addition to displaying your collection in collector's society, you can also create a website about Wildman coins. You can make links and have pages on the history, denominations, tables of low res & high res pictures, etc. I've done that with my collection using HTML. I've also tried to learn some styling of the HTML. A link to some of the better pages is here:
    https://coinsandhistory.com/countries/Ancients_nonRome/Ancients_10_Archaic.html

Chris B likes this.
  7. Chris B

I've actually been working on a website but at this point, I'm not happy with how it is turning out.

8. Gallienus

Gallienus coinsandhistory.com

That's true of many coin websites. I don't know if you had a chance to look at mine which is quite old. Also it has private registration which means that if one looks up the domain owner, the exact name is concealed so you can't trace the owner.

On my website I've done.
    1) 1998: Original website in HTML. It worked but auction houses told me it was amusing but childishly crude.
    2) 2004: Redone using a pro developer using WordPress. Expensive, very complex and only the front page and the image maps were actually in WordPress the rest in the old HTML. Even then I had to fix the imagemaps as they weren't done correctly.
    3) 2005: Fixed WordPress by myself. However I had to commission custom WP plugins to handle the photos. Never really worked as the plugin developer could never understand my needs. After a year wasn't able to get one "coins page" actually into WordPress.
    4) 2008: WordPress site was hacked as are all WordPress sites eventually. Site became filled with Medical Testing ads. Completely took down site for a couple years.
    5) 2018 New Developer told me about a much more secure CMS than WordPress called ModX. Paid her to put the site into ModX but she only got the 1st page working thru sort of a fudge. Site only had 1 page. Also expensive.
    6) 2018 late: Worked on learning ModX myself but it's very tricky. The more I learned the more I saw that ModX was copying HTML but with less capability.
    7) 2019: Went back to HTML programming of site myself. Learned a bit of styling. Not professional, no SEO (i.e. never found on Google listings) but at least cheap. Had to pay $38 to udemy for html learning classes. Also bought a book on html. Paid a few people on Upwork ($12/hr) to do "bulk html programming of many pages" that I could do myself but wanted to save time.

Current result, everything works, it's beginning to look nice. A lot of the info needs fix'n but being just plain html: there's nothing I can't easily change myself. Also I use the cheaper Corel Photopaint for image processing. I still need to learn to take better photos tho.

If there's any advice I can give about fix'n your website, I'd be happy to help. But I'm semi-good only with HTML5, {plus a little CSS3, JavaScript, & php}, none of that fancy WordPress stuff.

Also to show you how easy HTML is, I copied this comment to it's own html page. It's found on the bottom menu.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
    Chris B likes this.
  9. Chris B

I hadn't added anything in months until this piece came along. Karl Stephens new list is out and this one caught my eye. I don't know much other than his description:

Thale am Harz ND (c.1923) Grey-White Enameled 3 Mark Notgeld. F-537.14b. Wildman

Ger192303.jpg

10. PaulTudor

PaulTudor Well-Known Member

Since this topic deals with the 'wildman' section of talers, i decided to ask for an opinion on a recently sold coin. Though i collect talers, i have no Brunswick-Wolfenbutel piece at the moment, only a 1621 Erfurt taler displaying a wildman couple on obv. I had three in the past, one was fake and i had it returned and two were poor grades, so i sold them.To get to the point,the coin below was recently sold by London Coins for 160£, described as a KM#52.4, 26.19 grammes, Bold VF. Two of my best talers came from their previous auctions so i'm not suggesting they're selling fakes, but this one doesn't look right to me,the legend,the style,not to mention that i've never seen a wildman weighting 26.19 grams!It would be interesting to here some opinions!
    bbb.jpg

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    longshot, Chris B and panzerman like this.
  11. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Handsome coin!

12. talerman

Too handsome ? Forgeries are not normally a problem for common Talers like this - it's not worth the trouble. But I can see why @PaulTudor feels uncomfortable. It almost seems too perfectly cut and the weight is indeed well below the 29 g given as normal by Welter.

I did find this very similar coin sold (actually not sold) in a Gorny auction in 2007. The wt. is given as 27.17 g.

Gorny & Mosch Giessener Münzhandlung > Auction 161 Auction date: 11 October 2007
    Lot number: 4201

Price realized: Unsold
    Lot description:

DEUTSCHLAND BIS 1871

BRAUNSCHWEIG - WOLFENBÜTTEL

Objekt-Nr.: 4201
    Friedrich Ulrich, 1613 - 1634. Taler 1626. Mzst. Zellerfeld. Fünffach behelmtes Wappen / Wilder Mann. 27,17 g. Welter 1057A. Dav. 6303 Anm. Patina, ss-vz

Estimation: € 150,00
    [​IMG]

PaulTudor likes this.
  13. Chris B

Nothing looks off to me. I would want to see the edge before being certain. Assuming it is a good piece the price is lower than would be expected.

PaulTudor likes this.
  14. PaulTudor

PaulTudor Well-Known Member

Thank you for your input!Indeed, that perfect appearence and the underweight of the coin were a big question mark for me!I think i've seen hundreds of wildman pieces and none had this appearence and such a low weight for the type,but if Gorny&Mosch saw it as genuine, i'll have to consider it a special case!

15. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

My opinion means nothing....and I am sure you guys have looked at many more than I have. And maybe it's just because the color and surfaces remind me of Morgans that I would quickly condemn as most likely a Chinese fake. But this Wildman looks off to me.

16. The Eidolon

The Eidolon Well-Known Member

My first "wildman" type coin, I think... But the tree on the wrong side of the coin? My 1700s Krause guide shows the tree in the left hand (right side) and this guy seems to be the opposite. It's not a pricey enough coin for me to expect it to be a fake, and the wear seems genuine, so I'm not sure what's going on. Any advice would be welcomed!

Here's one from Numista, type "IBH" and someone has added a different type, "IAP" in the comments. I presume these are the engraver's initials. 1 Pfenning 1769 IAP Brunswick-Wolfenbüttel.jpeg Edit: Maybe the dealer attributed it wrong? This one from Brunswick-Lüneburg-Calenberg-Hannover looks much closer, and there is an "IAP" type from 1769 listed.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
    Seattlite86 and Chris B like this.
  17. talerman

Your coin is indeed a Brunswick-Lüneburg-Calenberg-Hannover issue of George III (KM 330.1, Welter 2884, Schön 321, Fiala 4546, Knyphausen 3985). IAP is Johann Anton Pfeffer, mintmaster in Zellerfeld from 1763-73.

18. Chris B

That's a nice honest piece. It's easy to confuse the locations. Typically the difference between Brunswick-Wolfenbuttel and Brunswick-Lüneburg-Calenberg-Hannover
    pieces is simply what hand the tree is being held in.

19. Chris B

My first addition in months. I've been searching for some earlier pieces. They just don't come up for sale very often. Even the German dealers I purchase from don't list them very often.

My first one with 3 wildmen.

GerBru157701.jpg

Obverse: Helmeted 4-fold arms with wildmen supporters, titles of Julius
    Reverse: Wildman walking left holding lit candle in right hand, tree trunk in left, date at top in single legend
    Reverse Legend: ALIIS. IN. SERVIENDO. CONSVMOR.

Ruler: Julius
    Note: Dav.#9062. Light Thaler.

Composition: Silver

20. The Eidolon

The Eidolon Well-Known Member

Got a small lot of German States coppers and just realized there was a Wildman 1 Pfenning in the batch! Now I have one from Brunswick-Wolfenbuttel (tree on right) to go with the one from Brunswick-Lüneburg-Calenberg-Hannover (tree on left) I got earlier. 1 Pfenning 1769 IAP Brunswick-Lüneburg-Calenberg-Hannover.jpeg 1 Pfenning 1743 IBH Brunswick-Wolfenbuttel.jpeg

21. Chris B

Nice, I really like the pfennings. It's tough to find them in anything other than well-circulated condition.

Seattlite86 and The Eidolon like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted