My unique Morgan Dollar

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by davidh, Apr 12, 2015.

1. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

Another of my treasures. OK, I know it's a fake but I have searched the internet for any picture or written mention of another example and have drawn a blank. As far as I can tell this is the only one existing on the entire planet. I got it from ebay a few
    years ago but I don't know its origin. Except for the obvious "error", it's a fairly good
    copy.
    1947o.jpg 1947r.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Taxidermist

Taxidermist Collector of US/IL/RU/DE

Fairly good copy should look a lot like an authentic coin, this one is far from it.

4. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

How do you know its fake? Did you weigh it?

rzage and Volante like this.
  5. frostyluster

frostyluster Member

There were no silver dollars minted in 1947, and even if there was some sort of mishap with the date punch, the coin wouldn't look that fake. When weighed, it will probably be off. Nonexistent dates are common among fake coins.[​IMG]

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Besides the date, the denticles are terrible on both sides.

The only consolation is that 1947 is the year I was born.

Chris

7. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

Yo bro, me 2! In October....

8. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

How do we know for sure its fake? The mint employees could have made a mistake or been goofing around. Like, "hey mike, lets make one coin dated 1947, and throw it into circulation to fool with people. "

Amanda Varner likes this.
  9. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Those crazy mint workers , with their beer rations . Wonder what our coins would look like if we had a mint in Colorado ? I for one would be intrigued .;)

bkozak33 likes this.
  10. Ethan

Ethan Collector of Kennedy's

..... wrong thread

11. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

I could of swore we have a mint in Colorado.

12. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

ok, if you want to change the subject that is fine.

13. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

August for me!

Chris

14. rzage

I can't believe I forgot Denver , Maybe I was in Colorado and forgot about it .;)

bkozak33 likes this.
  15. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

The first U in PLURIBUS is a little out of whack too but the artist initial looks right.

16. rzage

Maybe for us collectors , but it would fool a lot of non collectors .

17. Taxidermist

Taxidermist Collector of US/IL/RU/DE

Not much of a challenge there. They are fooled by real dollars, and sometimes halves. And sometimes $2 bills.

rzage likes this.
  18. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

This is the 2008 thread that led to me buying the coin on ebay. Poster ericl says he saw a similar one in Tazd Iran so it may have middle east origins, if not China. It does seen strange that no others seem to have surfaced.

If a coin's rarity increases its value, is the value of a counterfeit also increased by its rarity?
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/extremely-rare-1947-morgan-dollar.43989/

Edit:
    Apparently a similar coin (or the same one?) was on ebay-UK in 2007. And had been seen by a poster on a Hong Kong site. http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2201417

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  19. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

I don't know about current reproductions like these (but I doubt it), but rare contemporary bust half counterfeits can actually be worth more than real ones in the same grade.
    [​IMG]

rzage likes this.
  20. rzage

I won one on eBay , then someone reported it and it got pulled . I wish they,d learn the difference between contempory counterfeits and Chinese fakes . I,m sure your Bust half fooled many a merchant back in the day .

Draft saved Draft deleted