My Understanding (Flawed?) of Cleaning a Coin by Dipping

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by kanga, Feb 27, 2012.

1. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

eh - sorry

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Actually it produced vast quanities of Silver fulminate

4. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

In a MOTTED fashion, which is what i said. Your not returning luster like that.

5. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

BTW - this is alwso a form of electrolysis with the voltage difference of Silver and Copper running the reaction.

6. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

What you actually said was "it would either peripatetic out or be applied in a motley chaotic fashion." I'm not sure what you originally typed, but it looks like your spelling checker didn't do so well in chem class. :)

That's for sure. In fact, you can get something that looks like a Christmas tree, with needles of silver coming out of the copper base. But I don't think the poster who originally talked about getting a "silver wash" out of used solution was trying to claim that it would return luster. As far as I know, that simply can't be done with plating of any sort.

7. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Steel plating of steel coins gets close, but the original poster was claiming that his thio based solution will put the silver back without damaging the coin surface...and that is thermodynamically unsound statement.

Ruben

Draft saved Draft deleted