My UK holiday souvenir.

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ancient Aussie, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

Well, I will have to go back to see the differences! So many years ago...I cant remember. Look at that photo of me. Young, skinny, but that hairline! I guess I was always going to be bald! Whatever. Its a cool place, and anyone should go if they can.

I have spoken to members who live in UK but amazingly have never been. Imagine that! I mean, if I lived an hour away, could you keep me away? Nope. But often we all see things we maybe cant achieve. I have many cousins in Australia, but, well, I cant afford to go there. Back to Ireland? Maybe.

Hey, maybe someone can buy enough coins from me so I can go? My annual mantra for the last 20 years, 'maybe next year'....

Ancient Aussie likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

A pic of part temple second level down at the baths and an interesting pic showing the earliest coin and the latest found on site. IMG20170801095606.jpg IMG20170801100209.jpg

alde, chrsmat71, Curtisimo and 5 others like this.
  4. Ancient Aussie

Agree if I lived near there I would have spent the whole day instead of a 2-3 hours as on a tight schedule. Ireland is fantastic, the people are great there as well with their healthy lifestyle's, even their Panadol is behind the counter and limited quantities.

Alegandron likes this.
  5. Ken Dorney

Yea, well, I agree though I am biased. Recently on Facebook I saw a picture of my cousin (he works for Guinness), and I commented hey, I should find a cool Guinness shirt like that! Of course he sent me one. Now, if I can convince him to take me to work one day (before he retires!)

Alegandron and Ancient Aussie like this.
  6. Ancient Aussie

7. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

LOL, Wow, you made me remember: ASPIRIN is a very very easy to get, over the counter medicine to obtain in the US. You can buy a generic brand bottle of 100 for around $1-$2 USD. I moved to the UK, thought we could have a bottle on-hand for aches, etc. Went to Pharmacist and asked for a bottle of aspirin. (I was frustrated by not finding any on the shelf anywhere). He looked at me funny, and asked how many I wanted. I said 100-200. He said, that is a £1.00 EACH. Ah, £1.00 a bottle, cool. LOL, no, he said, that is for EACH ASPIRIN... CULTURE SHOCK.
    RI Allectus 293-296 AE Quinarius London Virtus Galley AE17 2-3g S 13870 RIC 55.JPG

RI Allectus 293-296 AE Quinarius London Virtus Galley AE17 2-3g S 13870 RIC 55

8. Ancient Aussie

I think the most in a packet in Scotland and Ireland of panadol was 32 and expensive, but when I got back to England I went into a chemist expecting the worst......and was shocked to be able to buy 50 at 50 pence, I even queried why so cheap.

Alegandron likes this.
  9. Alegandron

Ah! Times may have changed. I lived there 20 years ago. Perhaps their regulations changed on Aspirin.

10. Ken Dorney

Ah, well, maybe thats why I travel with all my 'stuff'. Allergy, diarrhea, gas, general pain, you name it. I bring it all along. Never use it often, but its usually so much more expensive to buy on site, so it pays to bring it along!

Ancient Aussie and Alegandron like this.
  11. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

Yes they have! Panadol or Aspirin are available here now for as little as 1p per tablet, on supermarket shelves.

However our "Nanny State" attitude means the till will seek authorisation if you try to take more than 2 or 3 packets at a time. Also our doctors have taken a great dislike for Aspirin. (I cynically suspect it is because it is cheap and so they don't get the lucrative kick-backs from the drug companies.) As a result they will try to persuade you to use almost anything other than Aspirin for your headache!

Alegandron likes this.
  12. Alegandron

I ALWAYS carried a emergency pack during all my travels worldwide. 35+ countries and about 5 million air miles... :) However, when you LIVE someplace, you do run out of the necessities that you are used to from your homeland. Punkin pie, peanut butter, real ketchup, persimmon pudding, etc. etc. etc. :)

13. Alegandron

LOL, thank you for the update! Yeah, sounds like folks are driven by profit EVERYWHERE! :D

14. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Very cool AA. Now I know what to look forward to when I finally get around to visiting Bath :) very interesting how they chose to display their coins. I always seek out the numismatic sections of museums and it's interesting how almost every museum I go to has a different method for displaying coins.
    IMG_4638.JPG
    IMG_4639.JPG
    IMG_4641.JPG

Glad you had fun on your trip and great coin addition as well.

alde, chrsmat71, Johndakerftw and 2 others like this.
  15. Ancient Aussie

Thanks Curtisimo, the British museum also has an interesting way of displaying their coins, instead of just having display cases of coins after coins they would display a coin for instance Circus Maximus sestertius with vases with chariot races and other antique's relating to chariot races in Ancient Rome. I suspect the Museum has a lot larger collection stashed away somewhere than what I seen. IMG20170805110221.jpg

TIF, Valentinian, alde and 5 others like this.
  16. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Now that is a cool display! Not only an Eid Mar but also a dagger of the type shown on the coin!

17. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

I was just in Dublin 2 weeks ago. The trip to the Guinness factory was delicious. I brought back 6 Guinness t-shirts. They have since been dispersed to family members.

18. Ancient Aussie

That's about the time we were there, great city.

Orfew likes this.
  19. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

Cool pics from your trip AA, thanks for sharing!

20. Ancient Aussie

Thanks I am glad you like them, I took about 1200 pics so there's heaps more, maybe I can filter a few more in as threads permit......:rolleyes:

21. Ancient Aussie

Thanks, if you look at the bridge and eye of Constantine you will notice some patina rub........that was me, dropped it a couple of times one on the bus and another on the footpath. Oh well it gives it a bit of individuality. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted