My type set -- the journey and the goal

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by sshafer11, Aug 19, 2014.

1. sshafer11

sshafer11 Head Research Assistant - Coin Show Radio

First of all I just want to mention that the reason I'm posting this is because one of the other members @geekpryde inspired me to do so with his thread about his CAC type set.

Just a short introduction: I'm fairly new to cointalk and I'm a relatively new collector. I started about 4 years ago when I found a cache of silver coins my dad had hoarded when he worked at a bank back in the 60's, it kind of started the bug in me. I started coin roll hunting like crazy and eventually purchased an AG 1837 Capped Bust Half which I consider my official entry into the hobby. About a year ago I decided I wanted to pursue a type set because there are just too many coins I like to collect just a series so I started a Dansco 7070.

I had a blast with the 7070 for a little while but I eventually hit a brick wall with it when I realized it was somewhat counterproductive (in my opinion) to crack slabs to put nice coins in the holes which especially becomes an issue once you consider problem free coins over $100. I also didn't like that the Dansco book was specific to only certain types of coins, including some I didn't care for.

So I sold almost all of my coins and began my current and hopefully final set which is a slabs only set of type coins I enjoy but not every type coin made. It has been about 6 months now and it has been the most fun I've had with the hobby yet. I have added my set to the NGC custom registry sets and I'd be glad to receive any feedback about it. Obviously a long way to go but I hope to someday sell it with pride and profits.

I call it the Greenhornet type set because one of my local coin dealers calls me that due to my Greenhorn status in the hobby. Thank you for looking!

https://coins.www.collectors-society.com/wcm/CoinCustomSetView.aspx?s=16335

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
    John Anthony, rzage, jj00 and 4 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. slamster17

slamster17 Junior Member

Nice write up! And nice set so far! Seeing Geek's post made me decide to start one as well!

geekpryde likes this.
  4. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

:cigar: Seriously thanks guys! I am glad to contribute back to CT, as I have learned 99% of what I know about coins from this site.

@sshafer11 , you should use the code on the NGC site to put a button in your CT signature so that every post you make here has an up-to-date link to your set, making easy viewing for all the members here. Check out my image/button, yours would look similar.

Step 1:
    upload_2014-8-19_22-39-22.png

Step 2:
    upload_2014-8-19_22-40-0.png
    Step 3:

upload_2014-8-19_22-41-7.png

Step 4:

upload_2014-8-19_22-41-52.png

I look forward to watching your set progress.

5. geekpryde

@sshafer11, just read through your descriptions, very nice. Now we just need to get you some fancy pictures to go along with your coins. ;)

6. geekpryde

7. slamster17

slamster17 Junior Member

geekpryde likes this.
  8. medjoy

medjoy Active Member

Great start on your set, sshafer.
    I enjoyed your thoughtful comments, which made the acquisition of the collection come alive.

9. sshafer11

Appreciate the feedback everyone! and also nice set @slamster17, ill be looking forward to watching that one as well.

slamster17 likes this.
  10. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Great start , and welcome to CT .

11. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Nice collection - I enjoyed looking through your gallery. I had the same issues with the 7070: whether you buy coins raw or crack them out, an album isn't going to protect them properly, plus you've got all those infernal Liberty Seated varieties in the 7070.

12. fireguy83

fireguy83 Member

13. sshafer11

Update 9/2/14 : Three coins recently came back from NGC and have been added to the set. I'm super excited as 2 upgraded and the Lib cap I spent 4 months looking for went problem free albeit a lower grade than I hoped.

1833 1/2 Cent cracked from an ANACS AU58 >>> NGC MS62BN
    1872 $1 cracked from an ACG F12 >>> NGC F15
    1795 1 Cent raw >>>> NGC AG3

I apologize about the pictures, I currently do not have a good camera for coin photography.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  14. Ed Sims

Ed Sims Well-Known Member

The 7070 album has a pitifully small number of Liberty Seated coinage varieties. They could double the number of Liberty Seated coins in that album and still not have the varieties of Seated coins as listed in the Red Book.

The Liberty Seated coinage type set I am assembling will have a total of 74 coins when completed.
    11 half dimes, completed (7 obverse, 2 reverse, 2 branch mint examples)
    15 dimes, have 14 (9 obverse, 3 reverse, 3 branch mint examples)
    4 20 cent pieces, have 2 (1 obverse, 1 reverse, 2 branch mint examples)
    14 quarters, have 8 and one 1876-CC on hold for me (7 obverse, 5 reverse, 3 branch mint examples)
    17 half dollars, have 3 (8 obverse, 6 reverse, 4 branch mint examples)
    6 Seated dollars, have 1 (1 obverse, 2 reverse, 3 branch mint examples)
    7 Trade dollars, have 2 (2 obverse, 2 reverse, 1 chop marked, 2 branch mint examples)
    74 coins (Advanced set)

If I take out the Branch Mint examples there will be a total of 55 coins. (Basic set)

In the next day or so these two will be added to Gerry Fortin's Liberty Seated and Capped Bust Coinage – Open Set Registry located here
    http://seateddimevarieties.com/reg_index.htm look for the Seated Coinage Type Set (Set definitions by Ed Sims).

Pictures of my half dimes, dimes, 20 cent pieces and quarters can be viewed in this forum's Gallery https://www.cointalk.com/media/users/ed-sims.59688/albums

Type sets can be defined by the personal likes of each individual collector which makes each one unique.

15. sshafer11

This is exactly why I decided to pursue a custom type set. I love the Seated design but I don't necessarily feel the need for an "arrows" version of each denomination.

16. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

That's an impressive goal. Best of luck to you!

Draft saved Draft deleted