My type set + a warm thank you

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Evan Saltis, Mar 20, 2021.

1. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

Of course I’m up late tonight. Not much happening and I decided to make a twofold post. First, thanks to @spirityoda who was kind enough to send seven LWCs to fill spots in my folder. I’m getting quite close now to completion, so who knows when that will happen.
    E74AA084-E992-499D-AEE0-FFEA93448CBB.jpeg 4B755A6F-6A1C-455E-BFA2-ACBA3841B751.jpeg 3E59DA15-8C9D-4DBC-B0AE-E3EB0EB5E0D5.jpeg And secondly, I thought I’d take out my favorite coins of each type. Forgive me, I missed/skipped a couple, including a 1945 S UNC war nickel, no memorial cent, no shield, etc. I guess I forgot to take them out but it’s a little too late. Will take better photos of any coin you’d like to see more of. I don’t do toners so forgive me if this is a boring set.
    FE942396-3549-4E7E-86DC-5CBD289CD1A7.jpeg 349536A8-6C38-4CD8-B2BD-155EA0E784BA.jpeg 151A778A-6F96-4A52-8758-91F6323DFDE1.jpeg 49E0F2BA-AFF3-479C-BF65-8993EA9AB631.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Seascape

Seascape U.S. & World Collector

Looks like dedication. Good job man.

Evan Saltis likes this.
  4. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

What a fine collection! I love it. Sure does remind me of my fascination with all the history these coins held when I was a young man.

Inspector43 likes this.
  5. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

I had something similar when I was young, although, of course, there were no slabs. I became much more drawn to the 19th century coins, and I let the Lincoln cent collection slide while I worked on a set of Indian Cents.

6. Evan Saltis

Thank you, Seascape. I’ve collected a bit of everything because I’m a little all over the place!
    thank you for your complement. The fascination has always been in me but took some time to dominate my mind.
    I started primarily with world coins. I have a bunch of “junk” but I also have some good things too. I am not a focused man but Lincoln cents have always been the key to my heart.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  7. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I have been a non-focused collector for fifty years. The only organization I have in my collection is that they are 99% US coins.

8. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice collection, Evan.

Evan Saltis likes this.
  9. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

People have accused me of lacking focus, but after a while, I end up with sets of something. ;)

ldhair likes this.
  10. AuldFartte

AuldFartte Well-Known Member

Looks like some very nice coins, @Evan Saltis ! I seem to lack focus, or my attention span is quite ... SQUIRREL! ... sorry. I bounce around from one thing to another on a regular basis lately.

Evan Saltis and Kentucky like this.
  11. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

That’s a nice start, @Evan Saltis. Regardless, if I were you I’d invest in a Dansco 7070 once Dansco restarts album production.

12. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

Very nice. Thank you for sharing. :)

13. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

That's a nice looking type set. Who says the coins have to be toned? That 1883 NC V-nick looks pretty sharp, among other things.

The sight of rows of brown Lincolns in an old-school folder like that brings back some fond memories.

Razz likes this.
  14. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

I was looking through photos the other day and had a similar thought about red or RB Lincoln's in the blue Whitman folders... Polish_20210322_142522574.jpg

thomas mozzillo and lordmarcovan like this.
  15. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

That is one fine collection you have there!

16. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Really nice looking collection. Congratulations!

17. ddddd

ddddd Member

As a person that likes toners, I can equally appreciate non-toned coins. That is a solid collection you have going!

An album is a great option for displaying type sets. Since Dansco is so inconsistent, other options include: Whitman, Intercept, and Littleton.

Morgandude11 likes this.
  18. kountryken

kountryken Well-Known Member

Great start. Years (don't ask how many, lol) ago I started with Lincoln Cents, also. I've had a blast. Branched out when I could afford to, and completed some other sets, too. All of mine are circulated coins, which I prefer. I like coins that have traveled and have a story to tell (no, I can't hear their stories, but I can imagine). Of course, it works out well, that's what my budget likes, too, lol. Keep going, it's a fun journey! Please keep us posted on your accomplishments. Like your start on a type set, too. That's one I really enjoy working on, also. But, I don't want a 7070 album. I like keeping my coins in 2x2's, so, I keep mine in a generic album that holds 2x2's. Looking good!

Evan Saltis likes this.
  19. Evan Saltis

Thank you everyone, I really appreciate it.

Yeah, I need a 7070 but just haven't pulled the trigger. I'm happy for now with this, only thing separating most of them is a page in a binder.

Excited to work on finishing up the lincoln cents. The other folder I have (both are Whitman) has much more RD coins. Including my best circ wheat finds.

I have a Canadian small cent folder, close to finishing that too. Those are other circulation pulls, in fact, everything 1940-present was circulation finds I've had in my life as a Mainer. Since I was little I saved every single Canadian coin I found. even though they are worth less:D

ddddd likes this.
  20. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

I had hoarded memorial cents and wheat cents for years just to fill an album 1909-2008. I had roughly 50,000 wheat and memorial cents when I bought the last coin to complete the album, which funny enough will never be put in the album. I was 21 when I finished the set by purchasing a 1909 S VDB in a VF30 NGC slab. That was 8 years ago. Literally save your pennies and you'll complete it in no time.

Draft saved Draft deleted