My Trip to the Summer Whitman Show

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by kanga, Jun 11, 2022.

1. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

The Summer Whitman Show has a reputation for being weakly attended by both sellers and buyers.
    Based on my observations yesterday (Friday, 10 June) that reputation is well earned.
    Not nearly the same attendance as the Spring and Fall shows.
    (My understanding that the Summer Fun Show has the same difficulty.)
    Years ago I may have gone to the Summer Whitman but I don't remember.

In my interest area (EAC) some key dealers weren't there.
    Tom Reynolds was there but not Chris McCawley nor Col Ellsworth.
    I did find one coin for my collection from J.J. Teaparty.
    It's an 1803 Draped Bust half cent, C-3 variety.

1hf-1803-C3-x.jpg 1hf-1803-C3-o-40.jpg 1hf-1803-C3-r-40.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Wonderful half cent, nice color to it.

4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Shoot, JJ Teaparty? Those guys is still around? I used to do mail-order with 'em back when I was a kid.

Nice pickup Kanga. :)

5. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Also John we have had back to back local coin shows here the weeks prior. 99% of local collectors prefer the local shows for several reasons.
    1 location many fear the city...crime stats...which to my knowledge aren't any worse than the state....crime has no zip code perferences! It can happen in broad daylight anywhere.
    2 parking...most rather spend that $20/25 on coins than parking.
    3 most of these patrons are working class so Thursday, Friday zre work days unless you burn a day.
    4 attendees hate by mid day Saturday morning most dealers are packed up heading to BWI or the drive back home.
    5 prices I have heard more than a 1000' x's that they get more bang for their buck at a local show.
    No cost parking...and most with law enforcement and spotters in the room.

To each their own...but local shows are the best bet...it also helps knowing the local dealers on a personal level...as one could call Len of Len's coins, and say I'm looking for a 1877 in vf....?
    Do you have one or know another dealer who does?
    Now yes I will agree one may find what one is looking for at the Whitman show...but one needs to attend the first 2 days....

But must admit thats a nice specimen John.....I was also shown a very sweet 1955 ddo purchased from Angel Dee.

6. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Yeh, Andy sticks to the higher grade material.
    I got my full FE/IHC set from him; all MS.

Paddy54 likes this.
  7. Paddy54

Does he have a shop in Woodbridge Va.?

8. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

That's where he lives.
    He doesn't have a shop.
    He has an online store but mostly sets up at shows, both large and small.

9. Paddy54

I would be in and out of DC and N Va. Every week years ago. I can't recall if I went to a store front in Woodbridge or Burke area. It was hit or miss with my work schedule.

10. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

Very nice old half cent, Kanga. The "little sisters" have always been my favorite US series. Very much underappreciated in my view.

I've skipped the summer show for 4 or 5 years now for the same reasons you mentioned. I still go to the other two as usual.

Bruce

11. Dynoking

Dynoking Well-Known Member

Thanks for the report. I had several submissions for Great Collections and was ready to go, but my better half talked me out of it. Gas and tolls from NYC would match the cost of shipping and insurance. I like face time with who I'm dealing with but it's not worth the $ and 7-8 hours of round trip driving. I did miss diner and drinks at Mommas on the Half Shell in the water front area though.

12. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

I wonder how much the crime problem in Baltimore is effecting attendance? My wife won’t go with me again because of it.

The summer show used to be fun. I would go to the show during the day and go to an Orioles game in the evening.

13. johnmilton

Yes, it took the I-95 route years ago. The tolls were outrageous. I have never traveled on a road where they were that high. Add to that $5 gasoline, and it’s turned into a luxury trip.

Dynoking likes this.
  14. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Finding a coin for your collection made it all worth it. Nice.

15. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

I didn't even realize there were 3 shows...I thought just 2 shows.

And I was surprised to find out that even FUN and Long Beach had 2 shows each year.

Quite frankly, given the work required to put them on, and given the fact that the internet is around today and wasn't 25 years ago.....you wonder how long before all the major shows are down to 1 a year.

16. johnmilton

Years ago there was one big Baltimore show in the fall and another one in the winter. The one in the summer was run by someone else and smaller.

The summer FUN show has sold out completely with 300 booths, and the winter show is huge. I don’t think that FUN will go down to one show.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted