My Top Ten

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Orfew, Dec 9, 2016.

1. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

This has been a good year in collecting for me. I completed my 12 Caesars set, (which I will continue to upgrade when I see coins I want) and I started a new collecting thread. My new direction is collecting historical figures. I already have a number of those from my original collection so in a way I am just extending my 12 Caesars to other interesting characters throughout the centuries. The coins that follow are not in a hierarchical order, they are listed in the order I thought of them for this list.

I have been fascinated by the history of Justinianus. The reorganization of Roman laws was a huge and important project. I just had to have a coin of his.
    Justinian lot 693 Nauman 48.jpg

I was looking for a nice denarius of Augustus for several months. I already had a quinarius but I was attracted to those substantial denarii. On this coin I really liked the style of the anepigraphic obverse and the Capricorn on the reverse was the final push.
    ric 126 augustus.jpg

I have a softspot for the quadriga reverse on the denarii of Tiberius. I have 3 of them, but this one os by far the best of the 3. The toning is nice and the relief on the obverse is amazing. The portrait pops off of the coin.

Tiberius quadriga denarius NN.jpg

I have seen a few examples of the Vespasian denarius with the Nemesis reverse (RIC 544) over the past year. However, I never thought I would own one because they were always sold before I could grab one. I managed to find this one and bought it as soon as I saw it. The portrait on this coin is great and the detail on the nemesis is excellent. It also did not hurt that this coin has an excellent provenance. It is Ex: E.E. Clain-Stefanelli.
    vespasian ric 544.jpg

I got an email informing me that there were new additions to H J Berk's website. I took a look and very quickly bought this coin. The overall look captured my attention immediately. While it is not a perfect coin, it has a small bend, I love it. Theophilos was interesting because he was the last of the iconoclastic emperors.
    theophilus H J Berk.jpg

This coin of Julius Caesar has been on my list for a while. Although it is a common coin, it is also a very interesting one. Doesn't everyone want a coin of Julius Caesar? This coin also has an interesting provenance. It is Ex: E. E. Clain-Stefanelli. I have added 2 coins from this collection to my own and am always on the lookout for more.

sale 25 lot 378 NN Caesar elephant.jpg

This Galba denarius (RIC 193) is not a common coin. It was a purchase from FAC and is an Ex Jyrki Muona coin. I loved both the obverse and reverse on this coin. The high points on the portrait are a little worn but the representation of Hispanic on the obverse is IMHO really nice. I was looking for a nice Galba denarius for several months to replace my worn example and I was lucky to have found this one.
    galba ric 193.jpg
    I was searching for a better Nero for a while when I came across this coin on CNG. I managed to win it for what I thought was an excellent price and it has become one of my favourite coins. This late issue denarius not only perfectly captures the fat Nero, it has the legionary standards on the reverse.
    new nero ric 68 combined.jpg

Thanks to David Atherton this rare coin of Domitian can be dated to between mid September and lat October of AD 81. I loved the nose on the Obverse portrait, but what cinched it for me was the triangular frame on the reverse.

I now have 4 coins of Marc Antony, all acquired this year. Of all of those my current favourite is this scarce legionary denarius. I really wanted a named legion. I do not have any other legionary denarii, but if I see more named legions coins appear I might just grab another. I find the history of these to be fascinating.

MA Antiquae.jpg

new domit combined.jpg

And last but certainly not the least of my favourites is this rare Titus denarius. Originally I wanted Titus as Augustus denarius, but when this appeared at auction I could not resist. What makes this coin unusual is the prow reverse. It harkens back to a denarius of Marc Antony.

So there is my list of 10. I have really enjoyed the process of collecting these coins and I cannot wait to see what I will acquire next year. I definitely know that more historical figures will be on the way. I still want and Eleanor of Aquitaine, Francois I, Franz Ferdinand, Sulla, Pompey the Great, Brutus, Cassius,Nerva, Hadrian, Antoninus Pius, Marcus Aurelius, Commodus, Henry VIII, Cnut, Aethelraed, and a Cleopatra VII.

Nelik, I_v_a_n, dlhill132 and 29 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. New Windsor Bill

New Windsor Bill Well-Known Member

Awesome coins. Congrats.

Orfew likes this.
  4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

All great coins, I have to say the Tiberius is my favorite of the bunch, follow by the look of the Vespasian.

panzerman and Orfew like this.
  5. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

Impressive! You've certainly acquired excellent coins and made major upgrades to your collection during 2016. Especially for 12 Caesars coins, it can be tricky to find the less common reverses in such fine condition. Did you part with any of your previous collection, or simply add to it?

6. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Well done! Gorgeous coins, and I have enjoyed them as you rolled them out in the Threads over the year. No real fave to me, as they are ALL good, and I would capture any of them into my collection! Ergo, you have GREAT TASTE in coins. :)

7. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Love 'em all.

Orfew and Okidoki like this.
  8. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Great collection congrats on a good buying year, I especially like the Caligula denarius.

9. Magnus Maximus

Magnus Maximus Dulce et Decorum est....

Nice ones, Orfew!
    I really like the Solidii and Nero denarius.

10. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I really like that Nero too! You've had a great year.

11. Loong Siew

Loong Siew Well-Known Member

Impressive collection.. I particularly admire the wicked toned Tiberius.

On the historical persons thread, welcome to the club. It is indeed a fascinating one and very exciting as it is the closest link to individuals who made marks in history.

I just completed the last piece of this thread this year with a Charlemagne denier. At the moment unless there are anyone in particular which I learnt of, will be focusing on completing specific sets...

Orfew likes this.
  12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

A Galba from a Spanish mint has been on my want list for some time so yours is easily my favorite of the bunch. All are winners.

panzerman, Orfew and Loong Siew like this.
  13. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Wow, you've picked up some real winners this year. I liked the Vespasian when you first showed it, and like it even more now. The Galba is excellent as well.

14. Orfew

Thanks @IdesOfMarch01
    I appreciate your kind words. I have not sold any of the previous coins, but a few have been gifted to other collectors.

panzerman likes this.
  15. Orfew

Thanks to all for the kind words. I very much enjoyed acquiring these, but it is also fun to share them here.

Loong Siew likes this.
  16. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

Congratulations on a great year - your Galba is exceptional!

17. Orfew

@AncientJoe

Thank you. The Galba was one I really wanted.

panzerman likes this.
  18. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I also have to add my voice to the chorus praising the Galba, but they are all excellent. An exceptional set of coins.

19. hoth2

hoth2 Well-Known Member

That Augustus is beautiful.

20. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Nice coins, dude ... amazing coin-year (congrats)

=> it's awesome to have so many Canadian collectors on this site

21. Orfew

Ooops, looks like I left out the photo for the Titus. I guess that makes it a top 11.

new titus combined.jpg

panzerman, Ajax, randygeki and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted