My Top Ten 2020 ..Spaniard

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Spaniard, Dec 2, 2020.

1. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

For me this year has been an interesting year! Here's my top 10 list for 2020.
    top 10 2020.jpg
    NUMBER 10...
    Chutas of Banavasi, Rajno Mulanandasa.Lead double Karshapana 30mm and 13.40gr...AD 125-345
    Obverse..2 tiered hill of small arches surmounted by a large arch (8 arched Chaitya,stupa)?, river flowing below. Brahmi legend around..'Rano Mulanandas'.(Elongated LA).
    Reverse..12 Railed tree with Triratana to the right.
    Mitchiner ACW 4971 - 4972

I'd been looking for one of these 'lead Karshapanas' for a while that had good detail and luckily early this year, I assume a hoard find, a group of them was placed up for sale...I picked up a couple of them and this one really is nice with great colouring and feels good in hand.

NUMBER 9..
    Faustina Major (138-140) Lifetime issue Denarius (2,81g, c. 16/18mm), Rome mint, 139-141 AD.
    Obv.: FAVSTINA - AVGVSTA, draped bust right.
    Rv.: IVNONI - REGINAE, Juno standing, facing, head left., holding patera and sceptre, peacock at feet.
    RIC 338, RSC 215.

This was my most recent purchase. I thought I'd have to pay a lot more for this lifetime issue type but was a coin I really wanted. This one popped up and filled the hole nicely! Her lifetime issue coins are not particularly rare but are much more difficult to find at a budget price amongst the barrage of Diva issues, this being obviously related to the fact that she was only Augusta for 2 years before her sudden death.

NUMBER 8..
    Ionia Samos AE13 Circa 350 BC, 13.07 mm/3.08 grams
    Obverse: Head of Hera left
    Reverse: Lion's scalp facing
    SNG Copenhagen 1694

This was number 9 of my 12 Bronze Olympians set. A difficult lady to find in Bronze and for me not cheap! But it's just a sweet little coin with lovely simplistic detail on both sides and a wonderful dark green patina an added provenance bonus is of it being an Ex Harlan J. Berk.

NUMBER 7..
    Ionia, Phokaia, c. 350-300 BC. Æ (15mm, 4.36g, 11h). Phokleon, magistrate.
    Obverse..Head of Hermes facing left wearing a Petasos hat tied at the back.
    Reverse..Forepart of a griffin springing left. ΦΩKAEΩN (PHOKAEON), name of the magistrate below.
    SNG Copenhagen 1039ff (magistrate); BMC 101.

It was number 4 of my 12 Bronze Olympians set, but not only did it move the set forward, it also added a few 'firsts' to my collection. At the time of purchase it was the oldest coin in my collection, my first Hermes and to top it all off a lovely depiction of a Griffin of which I didn't possess! Again a great little Bronze with nice detail and beautiful light green patina.

NUMBER 6..
    Domitian. 81-96 AR Denarius (3.17 gm, 18mm). Rome mint. Struck 81 AD.
    Obv.: IMP CAES DOMITIANVS AVG P M, laureate head right.
    Rev.: TR P COS VII DES VIII P P, tripod surmounted by a dolphin right. RIC II 74.

A lovely toned example of Domitian that was an impulse buy, it just caught my eye and the price was good. Also I wanted a Domitian coin without a Minerva reverse so this one fitted the slot. The photo doesn't really show the iridescent toning, its a beauty in hand!

NUMBER 5..
    Mysia, Pergamon . Circa 2nd Century BC. AE 18mm (5.31 gm).
    Obv.: Head of Athena right, wearing Corinthian Egret helmet.
    Rev.: ΑΘΗΝΑΣ ΝΙΚΗΦΟΡΟΥ (Athénas Nicéphore), trophy, consisting of crested helmet and cuirass with arms below; monogram to the right.
    SNG von Aulock 1374; SNG France 1884. VF.

This quite common coin is here because it was my very first 'Greek' and sent me off down a really deep rabbit hole! I'll always have a soft spot for this one, with nice detail and also a deep dark green patina....Love at first sight.

OK the next 4 were really difficult to place but here goes....

NUMBER 4..
    Iberia.Indigets.Emporia Æ AS..27.88mm/10.05grams..27-25 BC..
    Obverse:Head of the goddess Pallas Athena wearing a Corinthian helmet with the visor raised and a large plume.
    Reverse: Pegasos flying right, laurel crown above rump; EMPO below.
    Villaronga, ACIP 1098 - R6

After my visit to Empuries I went on the hunt for a coin minted there...They are all rare and difficult to find in decent condition so this one called to me! Every time I pick this one up it gives me flashbacks to its origins where I walked with my family over 2000 years later! For me an amazing feeling....

NUMBER 3...
    Antoninus Pius, 138 - 161 AD, AE Drachm, Egypt, Alexandria Mint, 34mm, 29.55 grams
    Obverse: Laureate head of Antoninus right.
    Reverse: L DEKATOV, Zeus holding patera and scetpre reclining left on open wings of eagle.
    Emmett1699 // Dattari2933 // Koln1560 // Milne1905

An important denomination to add to my Antoninus Pius collection. This big chunk is amazing in hand even making the Sestertius I possess seem inadequate! It has a nice portrait but the reverse is WOW!...I hold this coin a lot!

NUMBER 2..
    Marcus Aurelius. AD 161-180. Æ Sestertius. Rome mint. Struck AD 171...(32mm, 24.68 g)
    Obv. Laureate, draped head right, IMP M ANTONINVS AVG TRP XXV
    Rev. Fides standing left, holding Victory and standard, FIDES EXERCITVVM COS III SC
    RIC III 997......Double die match to the only example in the British Museum Collection.

Picked this one up at a good price thinking it was a good example of RIC#998 with the reverse being a slightly more interesting type, commemorating the victory over the Marcomanni in late AD171 when the Germanic invaders were defeated and evicted from Roman territory. RC informed me this coin is very rare (Thanks) and was a RIC#997 as the bust is laureate and draped unlike the just laureate headed example on wildwinds RIC-998, Also the coin is a double die match to the only example in the British Museum Collection.

AND NUMBER 1 THIS YEAR...
    Antoninus Pius. 138-161 AD. AE Dupondius (11.76 gm, 25.3mm). Rome mint. Struck 154-155 AD.
    Obv.. ANTONINVS AVG PIVS P P TR P XVIII, radiate head right.
    Rev.. LIBERTAS COS IIII / S - C, Libertas with pileus and sceptre standing left.
    RIC 933....BMC 1469. gVF.

This coin has such beautiful detail with a wonderful green patina. The engraver was really skilled and rather than write about it I'll just show some highlights..
    10 ap.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ambr0zie

ambr0zie Dacian Taraboste

Congratulations, @Spaniard!
    Beautiful coins, and I agree with your top 3, that would be my top 3 as well.
    I would have put Domitian on #4 but this is down to personal tastes.

Spaniard likes this.
  4. akeady

akeady Well-Known Member

Great coins and a nice montage too! I'm a fan of Empuries too and after a visit there had to get a coin from there too :)

ATB,
    Aidan.

Spaniard likes this.
  5. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..great coins!...wow..your #1 IS a #1!..:)

Spaniard likes this.
  6. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

Nice selections. I like all the good details in coin #1. :)
    I also like the lifetime Faustina.

Spaniard likes this.
  7. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Nice eclectic mix! I like number 10 because it’s very unique and strange looking

Spaniard likes this.
  8. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Excellent diverse group! I like the A-Pi drachm, but my favorite is the Emporia. I somehow missed your original thread on it and enjoyed reading it this time around. A google search led me to a listing for your coin that says it is ex Huntington Collection. If so, that's a great pedigree to have for it!

Spaniard and DonnaML like this.
  9. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Spaniard, You did well for the year :D. I agree with your #1 pick, it clearly towers above the other coins :). The portrait is outstanding, the coin has little wear & a fine patina. Your hefty drachm of Antoninus Pius would be my 2nd pick, followed by the sestertius of Marcus Aurelius :cool:.

Spaniard likes this.
  10. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

A collection to my own taste!
    I kinda wanna say I'd put the Greek coins in front I'd the Roman's... buuuut that AP portrait is very desirable:artist:

Spaniard likes this.
  11. singig

singig Well-Known Member

Congratulations ! , I like the imperial couple #1 #9 , and #2 , also an original presentation.

Spaniard likes this.
  12. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

My favorites: Phokaia griffin, Faustina lifetime denarius, Antoninus Pius dupondius -- it's stunning! I can see why it's your #1.

Spaniard likes this.
  13. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Very nice @Spaniard I like them all but of course my favourite is the Domitian denarius.

Spaniard likes this.
  14. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Totally agree!

Spaniard and ominus1 like this.
  15. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

I agree with your number one choice, absolutely fantastic detail and eye appeal, but they all are good choices, congrats.

Spaniard likes this.
  16. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Congratulations; it's a wonderful set of coins. Just to show how much I like it, here are my particular favorites: 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, and 9. Sorry, I can't narrow it down any further!

Spaniard likes this.
  17. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

I can't but agree with the other fellows on your #1 : the portrait is fantastic and the general look of the coin is gorgeous.
    Other than that I like your # 7 and 8 the most

Nice selection
    Q

Spaniard likes this.
  18. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

Thanks for ALL the comments!...Really appreciated!
    @hotwheelsearl ....Glad you liked the Karshapana they're cool coins!...The fact they're made from lead brings in a completely different colour range with lots of yellows , slate greys, blues and reds. https://www.cointalk.com/threads/chutas-of-banavasi-rano-mulanandasa.354322/
    @Orfew....I knew you'd like it and thanks for your thumbs up when purchasing.
    @zumbly...Yes..It has great provedance being from the Ex Archer M Huntington Collection (HSA 1001.1.10234). Archer M Huntington (1870-1955) had scholarly connections to both the American Numismatic Society (ANS) and the Hispanic Society of America (HSA). His collection of Spanish-related coinage numbered almost 38000 coins and became the most complete collection of Spanish-related coins ever assembled outside of Spain...Wow what a collection!
    @Roman Collector....Thanks for your info on the Marcus Aurelius Sestertius a nice surprise!
    Really do enjoy seeing and hearing about fellow collectors 'LITTLE GEMS' and hopefully wont miss anyones top 10!......Best wishes to all for the coming year!

Roman Collector and ominus1 like this.
  19. bcuda

bcuda El Ibérico loco

@Spaniard I dont think I have to tell you wich coin I like the most. I love your Emporia coin ! I have been looking for a good one for a while now they are not found in good condition very often.

Spaniard likes this.
  20. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

#3 for me. #1 has interesting hand details holding the hat. It reminds me of the way you hold your fingers if you have to pick up something rotting.

Spaniard likes this.
  21. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Great job! Super coins. Congrats, @Spaniard .

Spaniard likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted