My Top Ancients for 2014 (Part I)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by RaceBannon, Dec 30, 2014.

1. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Member

I enjoyed perusing other's top 10 lists. So I went back and looked at my purchases for the year. It was entertaining to see my collecting trends for the year. I have been looking for direction as the year went on, and looking back realize I was flailing around a bit and kind of all over the map! But half the fun is in the journey right?

I started out trying to complete my 12 Caesars Set(still need Otho and JC), then focused on Vrbs Roma coins for a while, Roman Women for a month or so.

Here are a few of my favorite coins purchased in the first half of the collecting year.

Galba. I really like the portrait on this coin. One of the tougher of the 12.

Galba Obv.jpg Galba Rev.jpg

Vespasian.
    I love the patina on this one. It almost looks surreal it's so green.
    Vespasian OBV 3.JPG Vespasian REV 3.JPG

Vitellius. A good example of a fouree, and my first. I also like the provenance on this one. It came from the collection of Professor James Seaver of the University of Kansas, a scholar who specialized in ancient Greece and Rome.
    Vitellius Obv.jpg Vitellius Rev.jpg

I went on a month long buying spree of Vrbs Roma Commemorative coins. Here's one of my favorites from the Trevorum Mint.
    DSC04543.JPG DSC04544.JPG

Julia Domna. I bought a handful of Roman Ladies, to add that soft feminine touch to my collection. I like the detail in the hair on this one.
    DSC04486.JPG DSC04487.JPG

Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
    Eng, Bing, Collect89 and 9 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Love the Galba and Vespasian! Those are two pretty faces right there.

RaceBannon likes this.
  4. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Great bunch, Bannon ... my favourites from this group are the fouree and the Galba (cool eye-appeal on both of 'em)

RaceBannon likes this.
  5. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

More great coins indeed. I don't have Galba or Vitellius.

RaceBannon likes this.
  6. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I like them all, but the Galba portrait is particularly striking.

RaceBannon likes this.
  7. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Yeah, that's a great portrait! Sweet coins.

RaceBannon likes this.
  8. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Saw your part 2 thread also, nice acquisitions for the year!

RaceBannon likes this.
  9. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Very nice RB. (Sorry I'm late to the party - just got home and it's much easier to post on my desktop than that darn tablet).

RaceBannon likes this.
  10. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Member

No worries Bing. Late to the party? Sometimes I take a week off from the party.

LOL I always enjoy coming back though.

11. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

This is Julia Domna as shown after the death of Septimius. My favorite is the Vitellius.

12. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

Great coins Race, Galba doesn't look to happy, look out 2015..

13. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Member

You are correct. Cut and paste error from my spreadsheet. It's been corrected. Good catch. Thanks Doug.

14. Whizb4ng

Whizb4ng HIC SVNT DRACONES

You had an awesome 2014 Race! I am surprised your Divvs Augustus didn't make the list or was that a 2013 purchase? I may be mixing up my years. It is still one of m favourite coins of yours (and might have been mine if you hadn't got it!)

I love the zombie Vitellius. He just wants brains!

RaceBannon likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted