My top 7 for 2020

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Di Nomos, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Di Nomos

Di Nomos Well-Known Member

I haven’t done one of these before, but thought I’d have a go. Really enjoy looking at other peoples coins. I haven’t bought ten coins for the year though. Tend to go for less coins but the highest quality I can afford, rather than more coins of slightly lesser quality. Probably over paid for most of them, but I don’t mind as they are what I wanted.

So will be a top seven. The order is subject to change, but is how they sit in my tray at the moment. Also, all the photos are from the coin companies I purchased from, not my own photos. Only exception is one that formerly belonged to Ancient Joe, I have used his photo, hope he doesn’t mind.

Also, special thanks to Joe who I have corresponded with by email, he’ll know who I am now if he sees this and sees his coin. Has given me some great advice and looked out for coins of interest for me. Though I’m a bit impulsive and my interests change constantly when I see something new I like.

I was lucky that I sold off a large number of coins at a local auction earlier in the year, which gave me a monetary boost and allowed me to indulge in the latest NAC auction from last month as well as a couple of purchases earlier in the year. Hope people like some of them.

#1. Islands off Ionia, Chios. Tetradrachm c. 350 BC. I purchased this as an unsold lot from the recent NAC auction. Not sure why it didn’t sell, (apart from being expensive), but I love the lifelike female head of the sphinx and the centering which isn’t always present on these coins.

Chios Tetradrachm.png

#2. Ptolemy I. Tetradrachm c. 310 BC. Also purchased in the recent NAC auction. I have always loved the elephant skin Alexander head, and this one just stood out as the one I wanted. It’s a really beautiful coin in hand too. It was right on the limit of what I could afford though!

Ptolemy I Tetradrachm.png

#3. Amphipolis Drachm. c. 370 BC. The Amphipolis Tetradrachms are my favourite facing heads on Greek coins, but will never have the money to own one, but the drachms are also quite nice, and this is my favourite obv. die in the drachm series. (This one may have been from Dec last year, but it was borderline 2020 when I received it).

Amphipolis Drachm.png

#4. Terina Nomos. c. 380 BC. This coin was originally in Ancient Joe’s collection, though I purchased it from HJB. The coins of Terina are beautiful, and this is undoubtedly one of the best die pairings. I actually wasn’t going to buy it at first, as the HJB photo didn’t excite me greatly, but as I like to do, was browsing Joe’s collection when I spotted he had a similar coin, so compared them, and realised they were the same coin! Joe’s photo is much more representative of how the coin actually looks.

Terina Nomos.png

#5. Syracuse. Tetradrachm c. 500 BC. This is one of those coins that I’ve always wanted, but always out of reach or hadn’t had the money at the right time. Bought this earlier this year in a local auction. I’m trying to build a collection comprising coins from Archaic/Classical and Hellenistic times, and this is an archaic coin that I particularly wanted. It is unusual for coins like this to show up over here, so it was good timing and convenient.

Syracuse Tetradrachm.png

#6. Korkyra. Stater c. 400 BC. This was from the same auction as #5. Was right at the limit of what I wanted to pay, but it is a beautiful coin, and ex. Prospero Collection, which would have added to the price. The whole scene with the cow and calf is very serene and lifelike.

Korkyra Stater.png

#7. Metapontum. Stater c. 340 BC. Bought this from NAC a few months ago. I really love the detail in the hair, a very pretty coin, and a rare variety. Also ex. Prospero collection. It has been smoothed, but was ok with that as I love the design. Managed to knock a few dollars off their advertised price too.

Metapontum Nomos.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Those are absolutely stunning!
    My favorite of the group is easily the Terina Nomos. I've never seen one before! The female head is wonderfully sculpted and the Nike on the reverse is just beautiful.
    You had a great year!

DonnaML and Di Nomos like this.
  4. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

These are all terrific, but I’m especially drawn to the Chios and ex Prospero Korkyra. I’ve always liked the issues of Terina too and find the style on yours exceptional. Excellent selection!

Di Nomos likes this.
  5. akeady

akeady Well-Known Member

The Magnificent Seven :)

6. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Di Nomos, You did well this year :D! My favorite by far is the Ptolemy I Tet. Both obverse & reverse are stunning & the coin has lovely toning. The Terina Nomos is my 2nd favorite. I love the reverse of Nike holding a dove. This coin is a great example of high classical art :happy:.

7. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Here's me haplessly opening this spectacular thread with no expectations getting more and more excited scrolling down:
    tenor-14.gif

That Chios, Syracuse archaic classical bridging the gap and every other coin are masterpieces. You've an amazing eye and collection!

Curtisimo, DonnaML, Di Nomos and 2 others like this.
  8. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Just wow... great coins. Each one would be an amazing centerpiece to any collection.

Di Nomos likes this.
  9. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

Such beautiful coins.

Di Nomos likes this.
  10. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

...yeah...like MUSEUM style...fantastic!..

Di Nomos likes this.
  11. Di Nomos

Wow, thanks for the kind comments everyone. I think most people on here would have a great eye for style and beauty in ancients. I'm just lucky that I managed to sell quite a few lesser coins to build up enough to make some big purchases this year. Still have a few more to sell - so we'll see what next year brings.

DonnaML likes this.
  12. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Very nice, @Di Nomos . All wonderful, but I am really attracted to your Syracuse Tet.

Di Nomos likes this.
  13. Di Nomos

Oops, I just realised the Terina Stater was purchased in late 2019. Oh well, it's in the 2020 list now. The time goes by so fast.

14. Di Nomos

Thanks. It's a type I've always been attracted to. Archaic coins aren't everyone's cup of tea, but I really like that late archaic style.

Theodosius and Alegandron like this.
  15. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

Wow, with quality like that you have no need to apologize for only posting seven! I think my favorite is the Syracuse- even though I don't collect Archaic and Classical Greek, that coin just speaks to me.

Di Nomos likes this.
  16. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

Wow - beautiful coins! Terina Nomos. c. 380 BC - Wow.

Di Nomos likes this.
  17. jb_depew

jb_depew Well-Known Member

Amazing coins! I can't choose a favorite - they are all stunners.

Di Nomos likes this.
  18. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Absolutely fantastic, what else can I say.

Di Nomos likes this.
  19. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

I would be happy with seven coins like that a year !
    Chios and Syracuse for me please (I quite like archaic style), with honorable mention to Ptolemy

Q

Di Nomos and Magnus87 like this.
  20. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

Stunning group!!..Love the sphinx and Syracuse Tet, you have a really good eye.
    I'm just gonna slink off back into my office and play with my bronzes.....
    Congrats on a beautiful collection great to see....

Di Nomos likes this.
  21. thejewk

thejewk Well-Known Member

A real quality selection, well done.

Di Nomos likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted