My top 10

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by rrdenarius, Dec 13, 2015.

1. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

I may have to change my name after making this list. I had a difficult time leaving some neat stuff off the list.
    Aes formatum - Cockle-shell ArtAsta 29e lot 66 March 2015.jpg Aes formatum - Cockle-shell rev ArtAsta 29e lot 66 March 2015.jpg Cast Sextans TV5 shell caduceus obv and cast shell.jpg
    Central Italy, 5th-3rd century BC
    Aes formatum. Cockle-shell,
    Wt = 26.21 grams; 42 mm, or about the weight of a libral uncia (or 1/12th an as) > 12 X 26 = 312g.
    Vecchi – Pg 90 #5
    In 600 to 400 BC, Romans and others in Central Italy bartered bronze by weight. Some shaped bronze pieces like this cockle shell have been found in hordes of Aes Rude. Pictured next to the shell is a cast sextans with a shell, Cr 25/8.

Syria Antioch AE 13 1 to 2nd cent AD A Ast 9.12.15 obv.jpg Syria Antioch AE rooster A Ast 9.12.15 obv.jpg
    Greek Asia. Syria, Antioch. 1st-2nd cent. AD.
    Obv. ANTIO-CHA. Draped bust of Man left, wearing Phrygian cap, crescent behind shoulders.
    Rev. COLONIA I. Cock standing right.
    SNG Paris, 1062.
    AE. 1.32 grams, 13 mm.
    This is one of my favorite non-RR coins.

Cast Bronze ax 12.3.15.jpg
    BRONZE AGE SOCKETTED GOUGE, 2nd millennium BC
    European bronze gouge with curved edge, lateral flanges folded over to form a socket. 267 grams, 95mm (3 3/4"). Fine condition.
    Provenance - Property of a professional; acquired on the European art market in the 1980s.
    This one might not belong on my 2015 list. I have not received the piece, but have paid for it and received a tracking #. Items like this have been found in bronze, pre-money hoards => I call it pre-money.

Post Semi Libral Semis TV71 NAC 5.21.15.jpg
    Roman Republic, mint Rome, 215 to 212 BC
    cast Aes Grave Semis, anonymous moneyer
    This coin was issued on the Post-Semi-Libral standard, based on an As of 1/15th a Roman pound, 20 grams, 33 mm. Note: 2 X 20 = 40 this light weight was due to a shortage of bronze during the 2nd Punic War.
    Obv - Laureate head of Saturn l.; behind, S.
    Rev - Prow l.; above, S.
    Crawford 41/6a
    Thurlow-Vecchi 71
    Sydenham: AES Grave 27; RRC 102
    Haeberlin pl. 51, 5.

Syd Cat.jpg
    COLLECTION EDWARD A. SYDENHAM ESQ. AES GRAVE ITALIQUE, MONNAIES ROMAINES CONSULAIRES.
    My list needs at least one coin book. This one is a good second stage book on cast coins from Rome and Central Italy. The downside to this book is it is in French.
    This 1927 catalog was reprinted in 1974. Sydenham worked for the British Museum and wrote two important books on Roman Republican coins: Aes Grave was published in 1926 and The Coinage of the Roman Republic was published posthumously in 1952. His collection of cast and struck bronze was cataloged here.

uncia Cr18.6 AA 9.13.15.jpg uncia 2 Cr18.6 AA 9.13.15.jpg
    Roman Republic, mint Rome, 275 to 270 BC
    cast Aes Grave Uncia or 1/12th of an As, anonymous moneyer. This coin was issued on the Libral standard, or near a full Roman Pound for an As, 24.87 grams, 27 mm. Apollo/Apollo series
    Note: 12 X 24.87 = 298
    Obv - Barley grain; pellet to left.
    Rev - Barley grain; pellet to right.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rrdenarius

my half as collection.jpg
    Roman Republican, after 211BC and probably before 100BC, unknown Roman mint(s), cut for making change. The seller’s description: Lot of 10 fractions of AE Asses.

These coins have seen more hands than any other ancient coin I own. I use these coins when I talk about ancient coins to non collectors. Many are impressed when I tell them these are from 150BC. Most chuckle when I say it is my half as collection.

bilder weight Guttus 74D 2.9.15.jpg
    Roman bronze bilder weight II Cent A.D. Green patina.cm 10,3
    This is on the list because it sent me down a path of buying several plumb bobs & other weights. It was advertised as Roman 2nd century AD, but I could not independently find a source (book or on line) that confirmed the date. It looks old by its patina.

Cast Sextans Turtle Cr24.7 Tintinna 2.14.15.jpg Cast Sextans Turtle  rev Cr24.7 Tintinna 2.14.15.jpg
    cast Aes Grave Sextans, anonymous moneyer
    This coin was issued on the Libral standard, or near a full Roman Pound for an As, 44 grams, 33 mm.
    Note: 6 X 44 = 264
    Obv - Tortoise on raised disk.
    Rev - Wheel of six spokes on raised disk.
    Crawford 24/7;
    Thurlow & Vecchi 35a; Vecchi 71
    HN Italy 330.
    BMC Italy 54, 14
    Sydenham 63 E.J.
    This aes grave sextans was issued midway between the First and Second Punic Wars, when the Romans were strengthening their ‘imperial’ Republic and were pursuing their ambitions in Greece.
    I bought this coin from Italy and it took 5 months for paperwork and shipping. I think it was worth the wait!

It is hard to believe this my only RR silver on the list.
    Vibia 26 obv c .JPG
    Vibia 26 rev c.JPG
    Vibia 26 obv.JPG
    Roman Republic Silver Denarius, Rome, 42 BC
    C. Vibius Varo
    Obv - Helmeted bust of Minerva r., wearing aegis
    Rev - Hercules standing facing, holding club in r. hand and lion-skin over l. arm; on r. C. VIBIVS; on l. VARVS.
    Cr – 494/38
    BMCRR – 4303
    Syd – 1140
    Bab – Vibia 26
    Coin from John Quincy Adams collection.

It has been a fun year looking for treasures. I think I found a few.

4. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Great provenance on that denarius. You bought a really interesting selection.

5. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

I like everything, but I think #7 and #1 are my favorites. Looks like you had a great year! Congrats and good luck in 2016.

6. brandon spiegel

brandon spiegel Brandon Spiegel

Woah, awesome coins! how common are weights liek the one that you depicted above, adn also john quince adams collected coins?

7. red_spork

BTW, here is my struck equivalent to your cast 41/6a semis. It's also light at 18 grams but is a die link to others of a higher weight. Crawford 41 is quite an interesting series.
    minecombined-smaller.png
    Roman Republic Æ Semis(18.688g, 30mm). Anonymous, 215-212 BC. Rome mint. Laureate head of Saturn right, S behind/Prow of galley right, S above, ROMA below. Russo p. 140, 2 and pl. 16, 10 (same dies); McCabe Anonymous A1.Sm.2; cf. Crawford 41/6e. Ex. Andrew McCabe.

dlhill132, chrsmat71, Bing and 3 others like this.
  8. rrdenarius

I agree that Cr 41 is interesting. It has cast and struck pieces with weights that overlap.
    Andrew McCabe has an interesting (and loooooooong) article in Essays in Honour of Roberto Russo on anonymous struck RR bronze. It looks like that is one of your coin's attributions.

9. red_spork

Yeah, I have read over that paper several times actually. He doesn't discuss this series much in that paper but Russo discusses it at length in Essays Hersh apparently. I just recently ordered a copy but it hasn't shipped yet.

10. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Great collection, I like number 7 best myself.

11. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

A really interesting assortment of coins n' things! My favorite - the tortoise sextans, I'd love to have that.

12. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Wonderful assortment of so many interesting treasures and coins!!

I'll be after a few of those in the coming year...

CONGRATS!!!!!

13. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

While I have to favor #2, the JQA #1 is special. It was sold as part of a three coin lot 624 for $75. All were different types by Varus. While I know Christian Blom bought a lot of coins from the sale, the tickets of his coins I have seen show the lot number rather than the Sydenham number. I suspect the auctioneers passed out blank tickets and purchasers were to fill in the numbers. I'll ask him if I see him. He is usually at Baltimore but that is not until March.

14. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

I do like the prov. of #1 certainly makes it special.

I am most captivated by number #10. This would have just looked awesome when it was new. Can you imagine!!!??

15. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

what a delightfully strange group of cool stuff RRD!

# 1 is in the spot it deserves, but man i'd love to get my hands on that 44g turtle!

red_spork, TIF and Mikey Zee like this.
  16. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Very cool picks

17. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Great year, rrdenarius => #9 and #2 are my favourites

18. TIF

TIF Always learning.

That's a fun assortment of relics! #1 and #2 are fantastic :)

Draft saved Draft deleted