My Top 10 LRB's for 2021

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Victor_Clark, Nov 27, 2021.

?

vote for your favorite

Poll closed Dec 4, 2021.
  1. #1 Maximianus from Siscia

9.6%
  2. #2 Maximinus II from Antioch

19.2%
  3. #3 Constantine from Carthage

3.8%
  4. #4 Constantine Sol from Lyons

15.4%
  5. #5 Constantine Sol from Arles

5.8%
  6. #6 Constantine from London

5.8%
  7. #7 Licinius from Antioch

67.3%
  8. #8 Constantine campgate from Rome

42.3%
  9. #9 Constantine SPES PVBLIC from Constantinople

30.8%
  10. #10 unofficial Victory on prow

28.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

An exquisite coin, Victor.

Victor_Clark likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

For comparison: the common one with A. Do you attach a meaning to the bust vs. head beyond that they made some dies each way? Do you see a style that suggests two cutters or any other coded meaning?
    rv5030b01837lg.jpg

Bing likes this.
  4. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

Thanks...the DAFNE series is one of my favorite to collect

The head only was the transitional type issued right after GLORIA EXERCITVS, GLORIA ROMANORVM, LIBERTAS PVBLICA, and SPES PVBLIC which were heads only, and they started the transition from laurel to diadem. There is also a head only with eyes to heaven, with legend and anepigraphic.

DAFNE_Constantinople_32e.jpg

DAFNE_Anep_a.jpg

DonnaML and Bing like this.
  5. Heliodromus

Heliodromus Well-Known Member

During Constantine's rule there's a progression of bust types coordinated across mints, that's unrelated to the reverse types each mint is issuing. Normally the reverse types are coordinated too, although there are some times such as here at Constantinople that the mints are issuing different types.

The bust type progression is from LDC/LC -> laureate -> diademed -> diademed eyes-to-heaven -> rosette-diademed draped & cuiraissed.

When the Constantinople mint first opened c.326 AD the laureate busts were still in effect, then switched to diademed before the DAFNE type started. The DAFNE type lasted long enough that it spanned the diademed, diademed eyes-to-heaven and final rosette-diademed draped & cuirassed bust types (so these bust types correspond to different production dates).

The diademed eyes-to-heaven bust, on the bronze, is only seen at Constantinople (DAFNE) and the neighboring mints of Heraclea (VOT XXX) and Cyzicus (campgate).

Last edited: Dec 6, 2021
  6. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

I just won this coin and I would probably re-arrange my listing to include it. It's not as sharp as the confronted bust coin that won the poll, but I think it is still pretty awesome and I didn't have an example of this one.

03335q00.jpg

Licinius I & Licinius II
    A.D. 320- 321
    22mm 3.4g
    DD NN IOVII LICINII INVICT AVG ET CAES; laureate and draped confronted busts, together holding Victory on globe with wreath in each hand.
    I O M ET VICT CONSERV D D N N AVG ET CAES; Victory stg. r. palm branch in l, hand, offering wreath to Jupiter stg. l., chlamys across left shoulder, holding sceptre.
    In ex. SMKΔ
    RIC VII Cyzicus 13

RupertP and Bing like this.
  7. Heliodromus

Heliodromus Well-Known Member

Jupiter seems to be channeling Crocodile Dundee there ! :D

just-making-sure.jpg

Victor_Clark likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted