My top 10 for 2021

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Campbell Miller, Dec 10, 2021.

1. Campbell Miller

Campbell Miller Well-Known Member

This year was a good year for me as I purchased several nice coins. I hope everyone else had as good a year as I did!

[​IMG]
    Macrinus AR Denarius. Rome, July AD 217 - March AD 218. 3.20g, 19mm.
    [​IMG]
    Maximinus I AR Denarius. Rome, AD 237. 2.94g, 20mm.
    [​IMG]
    Maximian AR Argenteus. Antioch, circa AD 297. 3.11g, 19mm
    [​IMG]
    Justinian I AV Tremissis. Constantinople, AD 527-565. 1.50g, 15mm.
    [​IMG]
    Maurice Tiberius AV Solidus. Constantinople, AD 583-602. 4.49g, 22mm.
    [​IMG]
    Constantius II, AR Siliqua.
    [​IMG]
    Balbinus, 238. Denarius (Silver, 20 mm, 3.67 g, 12 h), Rome, April - June 238.

[​IMG]
    Anastasius I, 491-518. Solidus (Gold, 21.5 mm, 4.48 g, 6 h), Constantinople, 3rd officina (Γ), 492-507.
    [​IMG]
    Constantius II, 337-361. Solidus (Gold, 21 mm, 4.23 g, 6 h), Nicomedia, 355-360.
    [​IMG]
    Valentinian I, AV Solidus, 21 mm, 4.36 g.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Nice acquisitions, and a good proportion of yellow, feels like a sunshine in december !

Q

panzerman and Campbell Miller like this.
  4. Campbell Miller

Campbell Miller Well-Known Member

Thank you! I was very fortunate that I had some extra income this year and also that my wife didn't freak out at me spending it on coins.

5. singig

singig Well-Known Member

I will chose the Anastasius I solidus as the winner , very nice year , Congratulations !

Campbell Miller likes this.
  6. tenbobbit

tenbobbit Well-Known Member

1, 2 & 3 for me ( i don't get over excited by yellow )

The busts on all 3 are superb :cool:

All in all a very good year :woot:

7. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Nice aquisitions:D

Better to keep coin purchases a secret;) Macrinus/ Balbinus are affordable in Silver/ not so in gold.
    John

8. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

great coins, my favorites are your first and last

9. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Campbell, Indeed you had a great year :D! My favorites are the Valentinian I solidus, the Constantius II siliqua, & the Maximinus I denarius with the wonderful portrait :cool:.

10. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

Nice purchases this year, @Campbell Miller. :)

My favorites are the Constantius II solidus (very nice portrait), Valentinian I solidus (your profile pic), and the Macrinus Denarius.

11. jb_depew

jb_depew Well-Known Member

Great group of coins! If I had to choose a favorite I'd say it's the Constantius II solidus.

12. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Wow. It's difficult to choose, but if I had to, I think my favorites would be the Maximian argenteus, the Constantius II siliqua, and the Valentinian I solidus. Three different denominations, and all superb.

13. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

Lovely additions and some very nice gold ones too. Difficult to pick favorites, but I'd go for the Maximian argenteus and Valentinian solidus. There's something interesting about the Justinian I AV Tremissis too, is it just that crude? Or is it a barbarous imitation?

14. kountryken

kountryken Well-Known Member

That sir, is an "unstatement" in my unprofessional opinion! Well done! Thanks for sharing.

15. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

I love that Constantius II solidus with the facing portrait. Wonderfully full reverse making use of all the space.

16. gogili1977

gogili1977 Well-Known Member

I like portrait on Maximinus denarius, also I like Maximian argenteus and Valentinian solidus.

17. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Congrats on the fine year! Some of my favorites are the Max Thrax denarius (for the chin :D), the Balbinus denarius, the Constantius II solidus, and the Valentinian I solidus.

18. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

The yellow stuff is always impressive, but I liked seeing Balbinus as well. Never had him. Did have one from Pupienus, once upon a time.

Draft saved Draft deleted