My Top 10 for 2020

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Al Kowsky, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

Lovely ten!.....You have a really good eye....Great detail and some real raraties!
    A good year!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Fugio1

Fugio1 Well-Known Member

All lovely coins @Al Kowsky. I like the Tetrarchic coins of Trier quite a lot so my favorite is the Constantine as Caesar. Great style.

4. Romancollector

Romancollector Well-Known Member

@Al Kowsky Your top 10 are all excellent! If I had to pick favourites, they would be the tetradrachms from Magnesia ad Maeandrum and Seleukeia. The portrait of Antiochus VIII is also fantastic! Congrats on your top 10!

5. Cicero12

Cicero12 Well-Known Member

Absolutely phenomenal portrait of Maximian! A very Henry VIII look about him.

6. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

That is a bad comparision, spending $$$ in a bar (waste) cheaper to buy a case of Corona and have them at home or like me at work!
    Personally, my thoughts you bought ten extremely beautifull coins, these will give you years of happiness/ and in the long run way better investment then buying stocks/ hoarding it in a bank. These coins are real money unlike plastic/ bit coin/ paper that govts print ad finitum=debt.
    John

7. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Thanks to everyone for the kind words & comments :happy:.

8. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Gorgeous coins, all of them! Museum quality.

I particularly like the two tetradrachms from Antioch. The Etruscilla is quite a prize!

9. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Wow @Al Kowsky

They are all lovely. Far from being disorganized I think. What ties them together for me is your eye for expressive and subtle portraits. The amazing condition of these coins highlights these features very well.

10. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

All wonderful! My favorites, in no particular order, are the Maximian Hercules, the Antiochos VIII (a bit similar to the one I have, with a quite different portrait), and the coin depicting Artemis from Magnesia ad Maeandrum.

11. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

These are beautiful coins @Al Kowsky . My favorites are your Magnesia ad Maeandrum and Seleukus & Pieria tetradrachms. Both are among the nicest style of any of these I’ve seen.

12. Julius Germanicus

Julius Germanicus Well-Known Member

Looking at Nr. 7-10 makes me consider starting to collect Folles as well. Beautiful coins all! I especially like the realistic and individual portrait style on Diocletian and Constantine which was all but lost a generation later.

13. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

Your Top 1 deserves to be your top 1! What a beautiful piece of Hellenistic artistry. #4 I was tempting to bid on it but it went over my budget, a wonderful tetradrachm from Antiochos VIII in his last reign at Antioch. #3 is very nice as well.
    I do not collect Roman coins but #7 has a very nice portrait showing authority!

Draft saved Draft deleted