My Top 10 for 2020 (the first of many, hopefully....)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by FrizzyAntoine, Dec 3, 2020.

?

Which 3 do you like the best?

1. #10: Phaselis Stater

2. #9: Philip V Didrachm

3. #8: Pharsalos Drachm

4. #7: Sinope Drachm

5. #6: Antiochus I Tetradrachm

6. #5: Velia Nomos

7. #4: Locris Epizephyroi Stater

8. #3: Phalanna Drachm

9. #2: Erbbina Stater

10. #1: Philip II Tetradrachm

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. FrizzyAntoine

FrizzyAntoine Well-Known Member

Thanks!
    Hahaha I'll try my best not to be! :)
    I'll admit, it is a little daunting figuring out what to post, considering the amazing coins and wealth of knowledge so many here possess.

Theodosius likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I enjoy seeing ALL the coins our members receive, and I think most of us feel the same. Just post them when you get one. That's how we all learn, plus I see coins I as yet have not acquired.

4. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Wow what a start to the CoinTalk club, all fantastic coins but your Phillip II is startling, congrats.

FrizzyAntoine likes this.
  5. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

...great coins all...truly works of art..that Phlanna & Phillip ll get my vote..:)

6. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

Wonderful examples.

#'s 1, 3 and 4 stand out, but, on the principle of "first among equals" all of the coins you posted deserve praise.

7. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

F. Antoine, You've got an impressive group of coins with a strong leaning to classical Greek coinage :D! All these coins were selected with a connoisseur's eye. My favorite would be #4, the handsome stater depicting Zeus :). The forceful eagle on the reverse making off with a rabbit adds symbolic strength to the image of Zeus. My 2nd favorite would be #3, the Phalanna drachm. The portrait on this coin is undoubtedly Apollo ;). The portrait is too sensitive & thoughtful to be a god of war :smuggrin:. The dancing, rider-less horse on the reverse is engraved with great skill, complementing the obverse. My 3rd favorite would be #5, with a beautiful portrait & nasty looking lion :cool:.

8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I voted for Velia. These seem to be hard to find in presentable shape. This lion is excellent.

Carl Wilmont and FrizzyAntoine like this.
  9. gogili1977

gogili1977 Well-Known Member

Beatiful coins, my favorites are 1, 4 and 5. Good year for you in numismatics.

10. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

Wow. That’s the way to make a splash.

I like number three best. That’s such a placid and elegant portrait. My heart beats more slowly just by looking at it.

11. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

Wow!...Super collection....I couldn't decide so I closed my eyes and clicked 3 times!
    Wonderful coins...Thanks for sharing.

12. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

I really like the dynamism of the reverse of honorable mention 1, 2 and other coins.

The Philip tetradrachm is top notch and the discourse connected to it.

All great coins!

13. Romancollector

Romancollector Well-Known Member

@FrizzyAntoine Congrats on your top 10!!! All are beautiful, as are your runners up. I'm drawn to your Antiochus because of its beautifully rendered and highly expressive portrait. Also, your tetradrachm of Philip II is phenomenal!

14. IMP Shogun

IMP Shogun Well-Known Member

That was like a trip to a museum, thank you

15. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

I love these! And as someone who has a tendency towards writing lengthy descriptions myself, I highly approve of your write-ups. Please post more often!

16. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

All of the coins are breathtaking! I would rate them all as equals, your history behind each coin is very information. I agree with Donna, please post more often!
    John

DonnaML and FrizzyAntoine like this.
  17. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

Beautiful coins - here are the three I voted for
    #1: Philip II Tetradrachm
    #3: Phalanna Drachm
    #6: Antiochus I Tetradrachm
    Best wishes for the next addition!

18. Cicero12

Cicero12 Well-Known Member

All top quality pieces, but that Lokris really speaks to me. What a powerful portrait of Zeus

19. FrizzyAntoine

Thank you Donna, your posts are always incredibly detailed and a joy to read, and I'm glad at least one person read the descriptions! :)

DonnaML likes this.
  20. FrizzyAntoine

Thank you, I promise I've got a few posts in the works now that I'm a little less busy over the holidays. :happy:

DonnaML likes this.
  21. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I saw this one and said "oh, yeah!" to myself. Then I had to chuckle, because if you look at the lettering below the lion, the first four letters actually do look like "YEAH".

Ancient Aussie and FrizzyAntoine like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted