My Tiberius came today

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by JBGood, Oct 3, 2014.

1. JBGood

JBGood Collector of coinage Supporter

Tiberius obverse.JPG Tiberius reverse.JPG

Commagene
    AE Dupondius
    Laureate head of Tiberius right/Crossed cornuacopiae and winged caduceus
    RPC 3869, RIC 90
    29mm, 13.96g

Wayne Sayles in his great little book on Roman Provincial Coins uses this coin as an example of one that straddles the Provincial and Imperial wordls as you can see by the dual references.

This coin has the somewhat crude style and chamfered edges of typical provincials and a somewhat unique device (crossed cornuacopiae) for a Roman coin.

Thanks to John Anthony for his help on this background.

Eng, stevex6, chrsmat71 and 6 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

No problem, but I hope you actually like it. It's the sort of coin that appeals to me very much, because of my interest in Near Eastern history and culture. But you could have bought a much more beautiful coin for the same amount of money. I don't mean that as criticism - my stable is full of decrepit horses from Syria, Nabataea, Provincia Arabia, Judaea, etc. Decrepit, that is, by the highest Greco-Roman aesthetic standards. But they appeal to me on an intellectual level that many "beautiful" coins don't. Their beauty rests in their scarcity and historic interest. If you feel the same way about these coins, then I'll make a pot of coffee, pull up a chair and let's talk. :)

chrsmat71 likes this.
  4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Looks to have a good portrait.

Mine:

[​IMG]

stevex6, icerain, chrsmat71 and 4 others like this.
  5. xGAJx

xGAJx Happy

It's gorgeous!

6. JBGood

I do feel the same way. This coin sent me to the Sayles book ( which may be a beginner book but perfect for me at this stage and very well written) and I open to page one and there is the same exact coin! It's the reverse that got me. I've looked at a million coins online and I know this to be unique.

I have some pretty coins and a few that are perfect (I'm still a bit suspicious of these) but this coin is now my favorite in my early collection. My Commodus from Anchialus was a $25 eBay coin that I bought because of the movie. But now it has real significance because I know the place and some of its history.

7. John Anthony

Well, not exactly unique, but as Roman provincial reverse types go, quite scarce. I've seen it on some Thracian issues of Gordian III, and also various coins from Alexandria - there may be others.

As far as the movie goes, I assume you're referring to The Gladiator. Does anyone know if that was a fairly accurate depiction of Commodus? I don't know much of his history.

8. JBGood

I love these cameo type portraits.....so real and artistic!

Mat likes this.
  9. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Rough and worn, but a likable coin with a unique reverse. Congrats. Here is one of mine much more worn than your new coin.

Tiberius 5_opt.jpg
    TIBERIUS AE 25mm (As)
    OBVERSE: TI CAESAR AVGVSTVS PON MAX IMP, laureate head left
    REVERSE: COL AVGVSTA EMERITA, campgate
    Struck at Emerita, Spain, 14-36 AD
    9.27g, 25mm
    RPC 42

10. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

No, the portrayal was a joke, as was the Lucilla character.

11. John Anthony

I thought as much. Eh...who cares? It was a fun movie.

JBGood likes this.
  12. JBGood

Other than he was a nut-job and liked to freelance as a gladiator that's about it. His sister survives in the movie but not in real life. Also, there is no historical data that he was instrumental in killing his Dad.....but it wouldn't surprise me if I'm wrong onthis.

13. JBGood

A great movie....I've seen it a 100 times.

John Anthony likes this.
  14. John Anthony

If we're posting coins of Tiberius, feast your eyes on this lovely fouree (ancient counterfeit) "tribute penny." The silver plating has chipped off, revealing the bronze core, which probably has some bronze disease going on. I don't keep this one with the rest of my coins. He's quarantined in the leper colony...

fouree tribute penny.jpg

15. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Nice pickup, JB. I was just browsing some Tiberius coins earlier today and this Commagene issue really stood out.

JBGood likes this.
  16. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

I know it'd be more normal to feel jealousy over the kind of coins that AncientJoe posts, but for some reason whenever you show these horrid diseased fourees of yours, I literally sit up and go "man, I wish those were mine!".

The best I can do at present are my two Tiberiuses, which do look a little leprous...

Tiberius as.jpg

tiberius spain400.jpg

17. John Anthony

It's possible that the double cornucopia motif may have had connotations beyond the obvious ones of abundance and fertility. Although it occurs rarely on Roman provincials, it is a frequent symbol on Judaean coins, and a ubiquitous one on Nabataeans. Here is a tray of Nabataean cornucopia types from my collection...

cornucopias.jpg

I believe that the double-cornucopia was a cult symbol in Nabataean religion, referring to their supreme goddess Al-'Uzza, who has been variously identified with Aphrodite, Urania/Venus Caelestis, and even Isis.

It's possible that the symbol may have held some cultic significance to the ancient peoples of Commagene as well.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
    Ancientnoob, TIF, zumbly and 2 others like this.
  18. JBGood

John Anthony likes this.
  19. JBGood

Bing likes this.
  20. JBGood

21. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

My definition of a Provincial coin is one that has either a primary language other than Latin, the name of the issuing city/people on the reverse or both. Can you point to examples where this does not hold true or offer a better definition? There are a few coins like the OP that 'straddles' the line but rules are made stronger by their exceptions or so I'm told.

Draft saved Draft deleted