My Thoughts on the Morgan 2021 Silver Dollar

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Matthew Kruse, Apr 15, 2021.

1. Ike Skywalker

Ike Skywalker Well-Known Member

I guess I’ll be the first and only person to mention this, but I really wish they would have ALSO made these in clad (Cu-Ni) and sold them in rolls of 20 alongside their silver counterparts, with the clad dollars receiving no special handling- exactly how the Ike dollars were treated. I imagine this would have created a lot of excitement for high MS grades. Just a thought.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

That'd would've been fun to find at the bank :)

Matthew Kruse and Ike Skywalker like this.
  4. Ike Skywalker

Ike Skywalker Well-Known Member

Do you guys think the Mint will continue to make these beyond 2021? Could the Morgan and Peace designs become permanent staple products?

5. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I hope not.
    I see them moving on to another gimmick soon enough.

6. UncleScroge

UncleScroge Well-Known Member

My understanding is that there won't be any proofs, only mint states.

Matthew Kruse and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  7. fullhart

fullhart Junior Member

I learned the hard way. When the Mint started selling gold again in 1986, I would buy everything. Then many years later I tried to sell some of it. I got much less than what I paid for them. The reason in my opinion, was because they were kinda ugly. Therefore now if I don't like how they look (like a LOT of the commemoratives), I don't buy them.

8. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

I stand corrected. Haven't followed this forthcoming coin that closely except for this thread.

Matthew Kruse likes this.
  9. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

You have to be aware of the PREMIUM to gold or silver value, since the metal content is your floor (not that it can't go down later, too).

Look at how the 1995-W ASE....2009 Saint UHR.....and even the 2019-S ASE (to an extent) have come off their peak prices.

10. marve

marve Member

11. marve

marve Member

i agree with you with unlimited coins be produced you will be extremely lucky to get what ou paid for them there only worth will be the price of silver no collectible value.

12. marve

marve Member

13. Scuba4fun777

Scuba4fun777 Well-Known Member

Matthew,
    As many others have stated, you are very astute for being 15 years old! With your writing style, grammar and wisdom, you could easily pass for 2-3x your age.
    I hope that for the sake and the future of our hobby, you have many, MANY similar-minded friends.

masterswimmer and Matthew Kruse like this.
  14. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

We can speculate all we like, we always do, and in the end the proof is in the pudding.

people thought the 2019S ERP would come down to reality after 2019 Christmas, but a year+ later, not so much.

The 2020 W V75, similar story, still selling months later on ebay for $300 in PR69, $600 in PR70.

all that matters is if collectors see this as part of the morgan and proof dollar sets, or as a stand alone set, or as commems, (the worst for it is being seen as commems), because in the end there's still going to be a market for them as they change hands, and work their way to the end collectors. is 175K or 200K enough each of them for collector demand for it? Time will tell, but 30K wasn't enough in 2019, 75K wasn't enough in 2020, and now these mintages put then among the rarest dates of either series by mintage, maybe not by condition, but by mintage, so if collectors decide it's desirable to have them, then I would suppose if you want them later they may just be priced down the road at a tough price to swallow for a bad bet on speculation. I'd rather pay$510 for them now, then pay $1020 or $1530 for the set later if I want them but I'm on the fence about it being "worth it" or not.

But will something like that happen? Who knows. Just as likely to happen as to not happen really. it depends on how they wind up being received into the hobby by collectors and what the collectors do with them. Now's too early to tell but I assure you, this speculation happened in 2019 and 2020, Some were right, some were wrong.

UncleScroge likes this.
  15. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

The piece that interests me most is the 2021 Peace Dollar. If the mint can issue an example of that design, in its original high relief, with all of the detail showing, I would be very interested. If it looks like most the 1921 Peace Dollars, which were missing the detail, it's not worth the money.

As the 1921 Morgan Dollar, I don't really care. Until recently that coin was roundly disliked. Dealers, who were offering to buy Morgan Dollars, frequently stated that they would not buy any 1921 dated pieces. The mintage was very high, and the artwork was redone because the earlier tools had been destroyed. The resulting coins were quite homely in my opinion.

1865King and furryfrog02 like this.
  16. Matthew Kruse

Matthew Kruse Young Numismatist

I think mintage of the 1921 Morgan silver dollars was so high because the 1921 peace dollars weren’t working out because of the high relief coins had problems so they made a bunch of Morgans instead. Probably not the best explanation but something like that lol.

I think that dealers would still buy the 1921 Morgan dollar though, despite the high mintage. It’s still worth silver melt, so I don’t see why they wouldn’t, even if they were to buy for less than spot.

John Burgess likes this.
  17. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Oh, dealers would buy 1921 Morgan Dollars for melt, but they wouldn’t pay much more than that. It was this way for many years.

18. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

The household limit of 25 virtually guarantees that these sales will not be a pleasant event for many, many colllectors.

19. JeffC

JeffC Go explore something and think a happy thought!

I thoroughly enjoyed your post. Good read and makes sense.

20. 1865King

1865King Well-Known Member

I thought I saw that the is a mintage limit for each type. 175,000. The idea of adding a privy mark pisses me off because all that's going to is have the big boys jump in and buy them all up before we even get on the mint Webb site. Screwing the collectors again. What they should do is strike them at the Carson City mint and put a CC where it should. Then strike 10,000,000 of them. BTW in case someone is wondering the Carson City mint is still standing I've been there and there is an old coining press still there. I would bring in a newer machine but, it could be done. I believe the old mint building is being used as a museum but, I'm sure a deal could be made. If they sell them for $85.00 each then give a dollar to the museum for use of the space. That would give them about $10,000,000.00. That would be a nice fund raiser for the museum. Even if the only sold 5,000,000 that still a big piece of change for the building. They would be crazy not allow the mint to fire up a coining press. Of course the US Mint would need to cover any expenses need to make this happen. They could even sell them at the CC Mint. What a big attraction that would be. At least for us coin nuts anyway. I know I'm only dreaming but it would be cool to go and buy a few dollars at the mint.

UncleScroge likes this.
  21. 1865King

1865King Well-Known Member

Oh, I forgot to add that the New Orleans mint and the old San Francisco mint buildings are still standing.

UncleScroge likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted