My third anniversary on Cointalk

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Orfew, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Hi all,

I realized that it has been 3 years today since I joined coin talk. I have enjoyed my time here and have learned quite a bit since I joined. I have appreciated all of the kind comments and helpful advice. I only started collecting ancients in April 2015, so when I joined here I had only been collecting a couple of months. Along the way I have bought some interesting coins and shared them here.

Here are a few highlights of my collection so far.

Gaius denarius
    Gaius RIC 16 new copy.jpg

Julius Caesar lifetime denarius

JC lifetime portrait 480:5b.png

Galba denarius

Galba ric 48a new photo.jpg

Eleanor of Aquitaine
    Eleanor.jpg

Nero
    Nero ric 35.jpg

Marcus Aurelius
    M Aurelius ric 280.jpg

Titus
    titus ric 950.jpg

Vespasian
    vespasian ric 544.jpg

Vesp 141 savoca.jpg

Domitian
    DOM new.jpg

Collect89, Jwt708, MacStexas and 47 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

I am heartened to see the Flavians so well represented!

benhur767 and Orfew like this.
  4. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

I don't know which one I like best, the Titus or the second Vespasian... Let's go with both! Glad you've stuck with us for all this time Orfew!!!

Orfew likes this.
  5. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Happy 3rd CoinTalk Anniversary, Orfew! Here's to you and to CT, still the best place to enjoy the camaraderie of fellow ancient coiners!

Curtisimo, Orfew and TIF like this.
  6. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Fantastic collection!! The toning on that first Vespasian is perfect! Happy 3rd!

Orfew likes this.
  7. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Congrats on three years @Orfew ! I also just started collecting (again!) when I joined last year. So far it's been lots of fun and I've learned many things that I did not know. Here's to many more years for you!

Orfew likes this.
  8. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Happy CT anniversary, Orfew :)

Orfew likes this.
  9. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

happy 3rd!
    I like your Vespasian with Victory stomping the snake.

Orfew likes this.
  10. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

you have some fine specimens there @Orfew for the short time of collecting them..the mark of a serious ancient collector...happy anniversary :)

Orfew likes this.
  11. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Happy anniversary and great collection so far.

Orfew likes this.
  12. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

VERY nice 3 years @Orfew ! Great highlites... I would enjoy all of those coins!

None are favorites to me, as they represent cool Histories! I would take them ALL.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
    Deacon Ray and Orfew like this.
  13. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

Congratulations on your third anniversary!

A very nice portrait gallery you have assembled.

John

Curtisimo likes this.
  14. Bert Gedin

Bert Gedin Well-Known Member

Looks like you've had 3 years well spent, Orfew. But I don't see the coin of Eleanore of Aquitaine are all that flattering !!!

15. ancientcoinguru

ancientcoinguru Well-Known Member

Happy anniversary! You have built a wonderful collection @Orfew. Your denier of Eleanore of Aquitaine is a beauty!

Alegandron and Orfew like this.
  16. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Happy anniversary @Orfew ! I always enjoy your comments and contributions immensely and I never get tired of seeing which historical figures you decide to add to your collection. Great Marcus Aurelius!
    IMG_5518.JPG

TheRed, zumbly, TIF and 6 others like this.
  17. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Happy anniversary, I'm glad you joined and to count you as a coin friend of mine.

Only 3 years of coin collecting and already a set any advanced collector would be proud to own and show off, congrats

Q

Orfew and Bert Gedin like this.
  18. lrbguy

lrbguy Well-Known Member

Happy 3rd anniversary to you Orfew, and hats off to the man who stimulated me to finish my 12 Caesars set in silver after all these years. It has been inspiring to me to see your enthusiasm over the coins you acquired irrespective of grade, and your commitment to acquiring pieces that are distinctive in some special ways. Good show, and may you keep at it.

TIF and Orfew like this.
  19. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Congrats Orfew!! I always enjoy your contributions here very much. Perhaps this is an occasion to ask: why did you choose that particular CT handle?

Alegandron likes this.
  20. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Thanks @Severus Alexander. Thanks for the nice comments. As for my handle it comes from a middle English poem "Sir Orfew" also known as "Sir Orfeo". It is based on the story of Orpheus and Eurydice. I studied Old English and Middle English and still read in those areas today. I am especially fond of the works of Chaucer and middle English lyrics.

21. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Awesome, I will have to check it out. I love both Old English and Middle English. Old English is tough, but I have memorized the first couple dozen lines of the General Prologue using what is, at least in my imagination, correct pronunciation. Not much more than a party trick, I'm afraid. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted