My ten favorites of 2014

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by dougsmit, Dec 29, 2014.

1. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Now that I know the post office has finished with me for the year, I'll show my top ten. Overall I am less thrilled than in many years but that is what comes from buying too many trashy coins and not enough high enders. I'm not fully sure what made these the top or how I came to the order presented but I am sure that doing the same process tomorrow could well have some changes. I believe all of these have been shown here before.

#10 Boetia Federal Coinage AR drachm Persephone / Poseidon. This isn't the kind of coin I buy often because they cost too much for my cheapskate nature. It still is a nice coin so I bought it at Baltimore in October. When I got it home and researched the type, I discovered that acsearch says this exact specimen sold in a 'name' auction in 2012 for a bit over three times what I paid. I don't believe I paid too little but someone sure paid too much. Perhaps they came to their senses and refused to pay for it? Was it 'Shiek Surplus? It squeaks into my ten by being a pretty coin that came with a good story.
    g01163bb3185.jpg

#9 Claudius II AE Antoninianus Apollo and Diana. It is not the rarest or the nicest but the combination of those two decent factors made me like this coin.
    rx2148bb3143.jpg

#8 Michael VII Electrum stamenon nomisma. I don't have many gold bearing coins so this one has to make the list.
    rz0525bb3150.jpg

#7 Postumus AE double sestertius overstruck on Antoninus Pius. I always wanted one of these. This is far from the nicest one but it is a space filler anyway. It has the galley reverse but I have failed to ID the Pius reverse type.
    rx1912bb3190.jpg

#6 Athens AR tetradrachm. It is not perfect but it has more going for it than others I have including more space in front of the nose than most of these. Wear/flatness? Sure it does. I am not interested in coins just because they are EF.
    g01195bb3159.jpg

#5 Athens AR tetartemorion. This is a terrible specimen but I have been wanting one of these for years. Most people have or want a tetradrachm. Nobody wants a quarter obol this ugly so I had to give it a home. If it were the 1/8th, it would have been #1. Remember how I liked the tet because of space in front of the nose? The entire face is off the flan here. Consistency is not my strong suite, eh?
    g01315bb3200.jpg

#4 Vonones I, Parthia, AR drachm. I have several Parthian drachms and most are rather like the others. Vonones was raised as a hostage in Rome and when he returned to Parthia to issue coins, he changed many things. I always wanted one of these 'different drummer' drachms. It has his name on both sides and does not mention Arsakes, Nike rather than an archer on the reverse and names his enemy (defeater of Artabanus) on the reverse. It turned out Vonones was not Parthian enough to be king of Parthia.
    op0175bb3193.jpg

#3 Constantine VII & Romanus II Au on AR fourree. I have many plated coins. I have always wanted an example of a gold fourree on a silver rather than a copper core. The ugly thing came to me in March. Would I rather have one with less wear and no scratches? Maybe next year.
    rz0455bb1174.jpg

#2 Carausius AE antoninianus / Pax overstruck on Victorinus / Salus. A beautiful mess of guys who gave Rome a headache for years. Overstrikes are better IMHO when you can read and ID both coins.
    rx3455bb3118.jpg

#1 Pescennius Niger AR denarius VICTOR IVST AVG. This is the reverse copied by 'My Favorite Coin'. The obverse legend looks like AVG was corrected from AVS on my specimen which is the same spelling problem that appears on my #2 on my 99 1/2 Favorites page. There is a nicer specimen from the same dies which is boldly S so the weak stroke on my S (bottom left) could just be condition and not a recut but, either way, I had to have this coin. It is the most expensive coin I have ever bought.
    rs0055bb3155.jpg

I wonder what coin I bought this year and forgot should have been in the ten? I apologize to the one I slighted.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice top 10, too lazy to do my own so not gonna bother.

I like the Claudius II most followed by the Boetia.

4. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

A nice top 10. Maybe next year we will be more thrilling, though coins all posed are nice.

5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

As always, Dougs' photography is exquisite. Even such that a modern US collector can appreciate. Love your 'top ten' dear fellow.......

6. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

All of them are interesting coins, but I like the overstruck Postumus and Carausius best.

7. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Absolutely awesome, Mentor (great year!!)

hmmm? ... I think I actually like #10 the best

=> Boetia Federal Coinage AR drachm Persephone / Poseidon (that's one sweet coin!!)

doug's #10.jpg

Curtisimo likes this.
  8. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

i agree with stevex, #10 is sweet...i love the bust of persephone.

michael vii gold and the wierd gold foree are awesome.

athens tetradrachm...parthian also great.

9. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Member

Nice group Doug. I'm struck by the variety. I think #6 is my favorite though. That type is definitely on my hit list for 2015.

10. Whizb4ng

Whizb4ng HIC SVNT DRACONES

I always enjoy Doug's favourites list because the coins that makes the list always do so because of such interesting reasons. Things that I would never notice in a coin that make them absolutely fascinating Doug is able to notice. Once I get the years of experience under my belt I can spot those interesting coins as well!

Who am I kidding I will most likely be like Steve and buy cool coins!

Draft saved Draft deleted