My SS Gifts

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Aidan_(), Dec 27, 2017.

1. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

Well, Christmas is done and I took some pictures today! I hit the sweet spot in photographing, three lamps and the camera flash to get a realistic picture of the coins when they're in hand. So, here are the gifts I received from my Secret Santa!

To start off here is a Gallic Empire coin of Victorinus found in a hoard in the UK. My giftee was nice enough to give me the paper work!
    Victorinus.png

Next up is one of his first coins (I don't know who my SS is, but he is in Canada!), I feel honored to receive this.
    Who'd thunk it? It's from @Ken Dorney ! Do you know who my SS is?? :D
    Valentinian I.png
    Valentinian I
    Obv: Diademed, draped and cuirassed bust of Valentinian right.
    Rev: Victory advancing left with wreath and palm, DSISC in exergue.

Yeah, I got spoiled this year! ;)

Yet to be attributed Gallienus and his wife:
    Gallienus.png
    Gallienus' Wifuuu.png

And last but not least a coin from Anonymous through @John Anthony , you sneaky people.

Galeria Valeria (fun to say) Follis: Galeria Valeria.png
    Obv: Pearl-diademed and draped bust right.
    Rev: Venus standing facing left, holding apple and raising drapery over shoulder.
    JAZ Numismatics

And a big thank you to everyone who makes this place amazing! I hope everyone had an excellent Christmas!

-Aidan

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Great coins, all with nice portraits as well. Congrats on your new additions. Also like your pics well done.

Aidan_() likes this.
  4. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

WOW!! That mini-hoard is simply terrific!!

5. Caesar_Augustus

Caesar_Augustus Well-Known Member

Really nice coins! :) Love them, Aidan! Also wonderful photography. Nice even lighting; something I've been battling to get for the past year. I see shadows around the coin. Will you be elevating your coins somehow to get rid of those?

6. Aidan_()

I haven't tried it with my current light setup yet. I'll give it a go tomorrow see how it plays out. Thanks for reminding me. ;)

Now that I understand a little bit about cameras I'm wondering what a good lens would be for coins, I know it's been mentioned before.

7. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Those photogs are just blasted, bloody, fine, Aidan. I see no need for improvement. No need to re-shoot..........

Caesar_Augustus and ominus1 like this.
  8. Aidan_()

Aww c'mon Ken, just to play with them? There's always room to improve ya' know. :D

I'm actually fine with the pictures, the lighting and everything, but I would like better focusing. Must... Take... More... Pictures!

9. Caesar_Augustus

Caesar_Augustus Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more! I've been photographing, and rephotographing and rephotographing my coins, and I always seem to improve, even if a little bit, each round. Also doesn't help that I love photography, and I can't help but take pictures of the things I love. :)

Theodosius and Aidan_() like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted