My Small Size $1 Collection #7 - 1935-A Series/More Variety

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by kanga, Jul 7, 2019.

1. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Previously minor changes to the $1 small size notes were caused by changes in signature(s).
    Those changes were indicated by adding a letter to the series date.

But the changes resulting in the 1935-A Series were different; they were design changes.
    The plate numbers on all notes were made larger.
    Plus the $1 changeover from Series 1935 to Series 1935-A also brought one additional tweak to the new designs. The notes of Series 1935 had carried the series designation twice, in opposite corners, and it had been engraved in the printing plates. But the notes of Series 1935-A instead had the series designation overprinted along with the signatures, in a somewhat larger font; and it appeared only once, close to the portrait on the right side of the note. This change meant that none of the series-specific portions of the $1 note design were engraved in the printing plates; thus, it eliminated the need for the BEP to create a new $1 master plate for every subsequent series.
    (Facts only a "notaphilist" could love :rolleyes: )

Anyway, 1935-A had a number of interesting issues.
    WWII and more testing resulted in 4.

1935-A Regular FRN
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And 1935-A had it's share of Mules (see previous posts if you don't know/remember Mules)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wartime Provisional Issue - Hawaii
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wartime Provisional Issue - North Africa
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Durability Testing - Regular Paper (R & S Overprints)
    See Post 7a

Patrick M likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Penna_Boy

Penna_Boy Just a nobody from the past

Very nice North Africa note.

4. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

@kanga, please forgive my ignorance, but I can't find anything on the North Africa note to denote that. Where is it?

Steve

5. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Hookman and Stevearino like this.
  6. lettow

lettow Senior Member

It is the yellow seal. Although referred to as North Africa Notes, these were also used in the initial stages of the invasion of Italy to pay US personnel. Once the Allies had sufficient control of the Italian banking system in occupied territory Italian Allied Military Currency was used for troop pay and requisition of goods.

Since they were used in the initial stages of the invasion of Axis territory they are also referred to as spearhead currency. They were not used in the liberation of France because AMC francs and Banque de France notes were used.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  7. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Some other 1935A Silver Certificate Experimentals.

1A171185-D735-4652-B891-390162353D9B.jpeg FB8CEB75-615D-4293-B328-136E76D2A799.jpeg

Stevearino likes this.
  8. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

Thanks @kanga and @lettow. I'm in a REAL learning curve as far as currency. Handled tens of thousands of dollars in currency as a young person working in my parents' cafe and a drugstore. Always checked the coins, but never even thought of looking a currency.

Steve

Hookman likes this.
  9. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

What a lost opportunity , huh? I'm also playing catch-up with collecting EVERYTHING. I didn't start until 2010.

Stevearino likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted