My small but growing British coin collection

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by jlogan, Jan 17, 2017.

1. jlogan

jlogan Well-Known Member

Tube of pennies brit coins 4.jpg brit coins 3.jpg
    more coppers brit coins 2.jpg
    a three pence and some shillings brit coins 1.jpg

Ordered a lot of 40 Pennies off ebay, including a couple pre-Victoria coins. Pretty excited for those to come in.

FitzNigel and Deacon Ray like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Thats great.. Is there a specific reason for putting together just a British coin collection?

4. jlogan

jlogan Well-Known Member

A bent, holed 1929 half penny and some decimal coins. brit coins 5.jpg

5. jlogan

jlogan Well-Known Member

Not really, just came across some when I was sorting my bag of world coins and thought it would be neat. Picked up the 1740 half penny today.

paddyman98 likes this.
  6. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

ROBERT THOMASON and jlogan like this.
  7. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Watch out, it is an addiction. I have a 4 litre jug filled with old pennies and half pennys. Smaller jugs of tanners and threenubs.

jlogan likes this.
  8. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

I love the old British penny. It's one of the first two coins that I really focused on when I got into foreign coins.

jlogan likes this.
  9. The coin that fueled my interest in coins, at age eight, was a large British penny.
    As for a 'reason' to have an interest in British coins, I think their long history is a good one. The hammered silver penny, descended from the Roman denarius, and the long line of monarchs depicted on the coins, The obsolete 'sterling' denominations of groat, shilling, florin, crown and half crown also serve to inspire an interest, or at least, a curiosity. Numismatics is, after all, a learning experience. Beautiful heraldic devices on reverse sides can be breathtaking when the coin is in high grade.
    My primary interest in British coins has evolved into collecting Sovereigns, Half Sovereigns, and Maundy sets of silver one, two, three, and four pence coins. Beautiful little pieces of silver, and limited mintages in the low thousands. And many of the older issues are found in privately contracted velvet lined cases, with the identities of jewelry firms printed inside and the year of issue on the outside.

jlogan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted